Carolina Huddle
Sign in to follow this  
Sean Payton's Vicodin

Why are we not talking about a possible next GM?

Everyone is talking about it all the time. Feel free to talk about it yourself if you like. 

Cause Tepper has no idea what he's doing

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Mage said:

I still don't know why Hurney has been kept around so long by Tepper, but I don't think he's ever truly been in his long-term plans as GM.  I could see Hurney remaining with the team next year in an advisory kind of role or whatever, which maybe is why he hasn't been fired or extended, but I doubt he'll be the general manager.  

I don't know what Hurney's long term plan is either. He is approaching 65 and may not see himself working much longer. I doubt that he is looking for a long extension at this point. He doesn't need the money. But he might not have much else to compete with working .....

I can't believe it until I see Hurney fired. It's depressing, illogical and just plain dumb but that's our punishment as Panthers fans.  

He is the katchup on our $2.4 billion dollar steak. Thanks Tep, might want to find those brass balls that used to be on your desk because I think your new wife took yours. 

• Pie 3

For the interested, here's Pat Stewart's resumé...

Student Manager, Ohio State University (2000-2004)
Graduate Assistant Coach, Western Carolina University (2005)
Assistant Director of Football Operations, Temple University (2006)
Scouting Assistant, New England Patriots (2007-2008)
Area Scout, New England Patriots (2009)
Pro Scout, New England Patriots (2010-2012)
Area Scout, New England Patriots (2013-2017)
National Scout, Philadelphia Eagles (2018-2019)
Director of Player Personnel, Carolina Panthers (2020)

Stewart and Head Coach Matt Rhule were colleagues for two years. Specifically 2005 when Rhule was Associate Head Coach at Western Carolina and 2006 when Rhule was Defensive Line Coach at Temple.

David Tepper - who's known to admire all things Patriots - probably likes that Stewart spent ten years in New England. While there, he was part of four Super Bowl seasons including two victories. He jumped to the Eagles as a national scout shortly after they defeated the Patriots in Super Bowl LII.

He has at least one Panthers connection besides Rhule, having been part of the Jim Tressel staff that coached  former Panther Ted Ginn. Pretty sure there were some other Panthers on some of those early 2000s squads (Drew Carter, maybe) but I haven't looked it up.

According to Joe Person, his duties in Carolina involve overseeing the pro scouting side of things, though nearly all of his prior experience was in college scouting. Outside of his year at Temple, it doesn't look like he has any prior executive level experience.

Stewart is an Ohio native and an Ohio State graduate. Pictures of him are scarce (don't flood me with pictures of Captain Picard, you bastards) but here's one of he and his wife from a 2017 profile in an Ohio newspaper. The profile itself can be read here.

Patrick-Whitney-Stewart.jpg.7960e809191c62aa1d4b68e887300bd9.jpg

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Side Note: If you search for images of Pat Stewart, one of the first ones you'll get is this...

photo%3Fversion=44

That's not Stewart. It's not even young Stewart. It's Jack Duffy, an SI writer who wrote an article about the Panthers hiring Stewart.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

For the interested, here's Pat Stewart's resume'...

Student Manager, Ohio State University (2000-2004)
Graduate Assistant Coach, Western Carolina University (2005)
Assistant Director of Football Operations, Temple University (2006)
Scouting Assistant, New England Patriots (2007-2008)
Area Scout, New England Patriots (2009)
Pro Scout, New England Patriots (2010-2012)
Area Scout, New England Patriots (2013-2017)
National Scout, Philadelphia Eagles (2018-2019)
Director of Player Personnel, Carolina Panthers (2020)

Stewart and Head Coach Matt Rhule were colleagues for two years. Specifically 2005 when Rhule was Associate Head Coach at Western Carolina and 2006 when Rhule was Defensive Line Coach at Temple.

David Tepper - who's known to admire all things Patriots - probably likes that Stewart spent ten years in New England. While there, he was part of four Super Bowl seasons including two victories. He jumped to the Eagles as a national scout shortly after they defeated the Patriots in Super Bowl LII.

He has at least one Panthers connection besides Rhule, having been part of the Jim Tressel staff that coached  former Panther Ted Ginn. Pretty sure there were some other Panthers on some of those early 2000s squads (Drew Carter, maybe) but I haven't looked it up.

According to Joe Person, his duties in Carolina involve overseeing the pro scouting side of things, though nearly all of his prior experience was in college scouting. Outside of his year at Temple, it doesn't look like he has any prior executive level experience.

Stewart is an Ohio native and an Ohio State graduate. Pictures of him are scarce (don't flood me with pictures of Captain Picard, you bastards) but here's one of he and his wife from a 2017 profile in an Ohio newspaper. The profile itself can be read here.

Patrick-Whitney-Stewart.jpg.7960e809191c62aa1d4b68e887300bd9.jpg

His head is shaped like a Buckeye. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

His head is shaped like a Buckeye. 

Good point... NEXT candidate!

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tepper has at least (unintentionally) given some indication that he might understand Marty isn't a suitable GM. His "let's not give him that big a compliment" comment and the discussion that the GM job was "too big for one man" are possible clues.

He definitely seems to understand that Marty is weak in the pro personnel department. That's why he would said to be looking for an assistant GM with that kind of background. Of course, the search kind of fizzled when it appeared leadership didn't understand the rules and kept getting denied permission.

Here's hoping...

We never replaced Eric Stokes 

2 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

We never replaced Eric Stokes 

Who?

2 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

He was our College director who we lost to Washington football team 

Well he wasn't good at his job then.

Jeff Morrow is currently overseeing the college scouting department.

5 hours ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Hurney is eternal, but his contract is set to expire after this season. I know he has top level blackmail, but it seems kind of odd that he hasn't been resigned. Will Tepper do the right thing for once?

does expire mean the same thing as interim?