Carolina Huddle
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Igo

NFL Passing Leaders

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

"Garbage time" is a subjective term and the results impact it quite a bit. Fighting to make a comeback when the results are technically not out of hand is probably not "true" garbage time. If you are putting up video game stats and end up losing by a goofy score, that is definitely garbage time. The thing is, all great comebacks by QB's are fundamentally garbage time.....until they aren't. 

I rarely see anyone other than disgruntled fans referring to garbage time when there's less than three scores or less than a minute or so left.

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

The definition of garbage time is meaningless plays at the end of the game - not leading the team to attempts at comebacks with 2 scores left and multiple minutes.  If you want to bitch about his last drive being garbage time fine ( I disagree - See the fuging Cowboys lol), but I don't know you can reasonably say that pulling the team within 1 score on a drive that starts with 4 minutes left is garbage time. 

It’s like talking to a chalkboard. I explained it plainly above. It’s about coverages not random outliers. 

9 minutes ago, Toomers said:

It’s the coverage that changes. What happens after is irrelevant. Teams play off and deep and QBs just suddenly are great after doing nothing most of the game. Which is a different argument of why teams do this. But they all do. 

Cam had one drive the other night. If he scores, at the end, it wouldn’t have changed that SEA played off while up two scores, with under 5:00 to play. 

I don't think I would define it strictly by coverage but it is subjective.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

It’s like talking to a chalkboard. I explained it plainly above. It’s about coverages not random outliers. 

It isn't about coverage, that is not what defines garbage time. Lol.  So 2 minute defenses before the end of halves in tied games are garbage time?

edit: I mean given it isn't defined anywhere in any real sense you can make up any definition you want for it.

personally, I apply garbage time to any yardage a QB generates I find objectionable. :eyeroll:

Edited by mav1234

2 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Imagine if he had a talent like Edelman at WR! He'd be leading the league.

Nobody cares, are you just going to keep post little digs until someone acknowledges you?

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think I would define it strictly by coverage but it is subjective.

But I apply it across the board. As I showed with an example that no one would have considered. Not fit it into whatever narrative I need it to. 

Why not coverage. This has already shown no one can agree on any numbers. Coverage is the entire key to garbage time. What do you suggest using that is more relevant than what’s happening on the field? 

7 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

It isn't about coverage, that is not what defines garbage time. Lol.  So 2 minute defenses before the end of halves in tied games are garbage time?

edit: I mean given it isn't defined anywhere in any real sense you can make up any definition you want for it.

personally, I apply garbage time to any yardage a QB generates I find objectionable. 

No. Because teams play the end of the half to prevent any score. Teams up multiple scores are willing to give up a FG or a TD as long as it takes awhile. 

I’m sorry I hurt you delicate sensibilities. 

5 minutes ago, Daywa1ker said:

Nobody cares, are you just going to keep post little digs until someone acknowledges you?

I'll stop digging when people respect our current QB and stop trashing him because he's not you know who and because of what happened to you know who. In other words, not this season most likely.

Imagine it, defending your team's QB because you're a fan of the team! Crazy, I know.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

But I apply it across the board. As I showed with an example that no one would have considered. Not fit it into whatever narrative I need it to. 

Why not coverage. This has already shown no one can agree on any numbers. Coverage is the entire key to garbage time. What do you suggest using that is more relevant than what’s happening on the field? 

Well there are lots of other factors that can also lead to garbage time stats. Less aggressive blitzing, defensive personnel becoming more lax, playcalling becoming more lax, player substitutions because the situation is already in hand, etc, etc. 

We all remember the classic Rivera/Fox "foot off the gas" offense when we had big first half leads. To an extent, Gruden did that last night with the lead prior to the last Saints scoring drive. I would personally define it more loosely as situations in which the outcome is largely decided or the team leading has switched to more of a "don't lose" than "win" strategy. 

3 minutes ago, Toomers said:

No. Because teams play the end of the half to prevent any score. Teams up multiple scores are willing to give up a FG or a TD as long as it takes awhile. 

I’m sorry I hurt you delicate sensibilities. 

So you're saying that it is not about the actual coverage or defense utilized but the situation in the game, eh?   Amusing.  You keep moving the goalposts, lol. 

You didn't hurt my sensibilities, I just love the anger that some fans show.  You're welcome to make up any definition for words and terms you want.

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

So you're saying that it is not about the actual coverage or defense utilized but the situation in the game, eh?   Amusing.  You keep moving the goalposts, lol. 

You didn't hurt my sensibilities, I just love the anger that some fans show.  You're welcome to make up any definition for words and terms you want.

Or I could just pretend a common occurrence doesn’t even exist. That seems like fun....

6 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I'll stop digging when people respect our current QB and stop trashing him because he's not you know who and because of what happened to you know who. In other words, not this season most likely.

Imagine it, defending your team's QB because you're a fan of the team! Crazy, I know.

you're the only one in here talking about you know who

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Or I could just pretend a common occurrence doesn’t even exist. That seems like fun....

You're the one that is talking about drives in which the opposing defense was still bringing additional rushers on some plays and getting sacks as garbage time, though.

It isn't just about coverage, it isn't just about score, it is situational, but as you've clearly admitted, it is much more about the score than the coverage.

Edited by mav1234