Carolina Huddle
Jeremy Igo

CMC vs Davis illustrated

13 hours ago, AU-panther said:

If CMC is so much better why is his YPC less this year?  For that to be the case then maybe Davis is better on other runs?

I think CMC is a great player, and I'm not saying Davis is anywhere close to the same, but people need to learn that there is a reason why RBs are devalued so much in the league.

Its not that running backs aren't important (that's a different argument) its the fact that their production is fairly easy to replace.  If you equal out the number of carry's they receive there isn't a huge difference in their production over time.

For example, CMC had a great year last year, he averaged 4.8 ypc which was 10th in the league, the 20th place guy was at 4.5 ypc.  If that guy got the same amount of carries as CMC he would have finished the year with roughly 92 less yards, or about 6 yards a game.  

6 yards, that's probably less than one more reception out of a WR, less than a holding call on a guard, less than a sack given up by a OT.

Now CMC is heavily involved in the passing game, and that definitely changes how he is valued, but when looking strictly at running there really isn't much of a difference among a lot of RBs.

Again, this is why I don't go by stats. There's a load of variables, and extrapolation almost never pans out for that reason.

Matt Stafford is always statistically one of the best quarterbacks in the league, but if you watch him, it tells a different story.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Again, this is why I don't go by stats. There's a load of variables, and extrapolation almost never pans out for that reason.

Matt Stafford is always statistically one of the best quarterbacks in the league, but if you watch him, it tells a different story.

You're right, he's not one of the best, he's THE best QB in the league.

ron burgundy anchorman GIF

On 9/29/2020 at 8:53 AM, Harbingers said:

Davis has his role, he's just... slow. I'd be 90% sure that bonnafon would have made it to the endzone on that play.

That's possible, but let's not overlook the fact that Davis role plays a major factor in  our Ball control offense. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Lets don't let stats/facts get in the way of opinions.

You can't look at one play and assume CMC would automatically go for 20 more yards.  If that is true on that one play then it would probably be true on half a dozen other plays but it doesn't happen.  If that did happen his YPC would be twice as much, actually his YPC is less this year.

Think about that, his YPC are less this year but you are going to assume on certain runs that CMC would get 20 yards but Davis only 2?

Maybe CMC does take that one to the house, maybe on a different run Davis does better, my point is over time the difference between the 2 of them isn't' near as great as fans think from a pure running perspective.

• Pie 1

Look, if Davis can run al over a good defense like Chicago we can talk. The defenses we've beaten lately aren't anything to write home about. We will need CMC as soon as possible. For now, let's just be happy that we have 1 great RB and one good one on the roster. 

Edited by Wolfcop

2 hours ago, MechaZain said:

If Davis was the running back for those botched 4th and shorts we would have converted them.

Sips Tea Jayz GIF - SipsTea Jayz - Discover & Share GIFs

Probably it's utilizing your players strength CMC will never be a grinding power back.