Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  

Posted (edited)

The comparison to Luke's contract is not exactly the best comparison because Luke's deal came when the team's cap was set to be $155.27M while Shaq got his when the cap was set to be $53.2M higher at $208.47M.

On top of this, Shaq's contract isn't a top 5 cap hit for the team (#7). It isn't even a top 10 for OLBs (#17) nor ILBs (#12). Want to know where his cap hit ranks amongst ALL linebackers this season? 28th. How the fug are people complaining about the man being the 28th highest paid LB?

The handwringing over his contract at this point comes across as a desperate attempt to avoid admitting that the dude is solid. Idk if that's because folks still hold hard feelings over Gettleman selecting him as insurance for TD, if they don't understand basic accounting, or if Shaq farted in an elevator with them.

tldr; Yes, he is worth his contract.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 5

6 hours ago, Icege said:

The comparison to Luke's contract is not exactly the best comparison because Luke's deal came when the team's cap was set to be $155.27M while Shaq got his when the cap was set to be $53.2M higher at $208.47M.

On top of this, Shaq's contract isn't a top 5 cap hit for the team (#7). It isn't even a top 10 for OLBs (#17) nor ILBs (#12). Want to know where his cap hit ranks amongst ALL linebackers this season? 28th. How the fug are people complaining about the man being the 28th highest paid LB?

The handwringing over his contract at this point comes across as a desperate attempt to avoid admitting that the dude is solid. Idk if that's because folks still hold hard feelings over Gettleman selecting him as insurance for TD, if they don't understand basic accounting, or if Shaq farted in an elevator with them.

Great stuff!

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Icege said:

tenor.gif

• Pie 1

He will never be TD but TD was a fuging legend. Dude was special. 

10 hours ago, hepcat said:

I can tell you that I’d be excited if the Panthers take a LB in the first round next draft 

So you are telling me that you hate the Panthers?

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

So you are telling me that you hate the Panthers?

LOL! Whitehead will need to be replaced is really what I’m getting at. Shaq is still growing into being a leader but needs more help around him. 

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, hepcat said:

I can tell you that I’d be excited if the Panthers take a LB in the first round next draft 

Would be great to get that parsons kid from penn st

Posted (edited)

He is still out of position a lot and whiffs in key situations

but we need him on the field and we need him to play at the highest level

Edited by bull123

13 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Look at the structure. He's a $10.7M player this year. $7.2M next year. We'll have a decision to make after next year. That contract can easily become a two year deal.

Avoid reason, I broke his deal down when it happened. Ppl don't look at the money for the CURRENT season or the guaranteed. 

They just see the total and divide by the years so they can complain.   

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

LOL! Whitehead will need to be replaced is really what I’m getting at. Shaq is still growing into being a leader but needs more help around him. 

I don't disagree but spending a first rounder on a LB better net a Luke type player. Otherwise, that is extremely poor value for a 1st round draft pick.

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, Icege said:

Ehhhh yes and no.

Unfortunately, the NFL labels pass rushing linebackers as LBers as well, so guys like Von Miller and Khalil Mack's contracts are also in the mix of contract comparison. 

Looking at the rankings, Shaq is currently being paid the highest of any 4-3 LBer in the NFL:

image.png.1396f3bd80157d585e02170972ec377c.png

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Ehhhh yes and no.

Unfortunately, the NFL labels pass rushing linebackers as LBers as well, so guys like Von Miller and Khalil Mack's contracts are also in the mix of contract comparison. 

Looking at the rankings, Shaq is currently being paid the highest of any 4-3 LBer in the NFL:

image.png.1396f3bd80157d585e02170972ec377c.png

He is having a better season than everyone on that list. Worth it.

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:

Avoid reason, I broke his deal down when it happened. Ppl don't look at the money for the CURRENT season or the guaranteed. 

They just see the total and divide by the years so they can complain.   

If he is cut after two years, it is still $14M per year. Over $10M of signing bonus proration still remains in years 3-5 that will be accounted for on the salary cap.

2 minutes ago, Bartin said:

If he is cut after two years, it is still $14M per year. Over $10M of signing bonus proration still remains in years 3-5 that will be accounted for on the salary cap.

Why would he be cut? He is Outperforming 85% of the league that plays his position?