Carolina Huddle
nctarheelreincarnated

CBS Sports Mock Draft. Panthers pass on Lance for an OL guy. 49ers take Lance the next pick.

Look, I am not saying Trey Lance is doomed to fail.  The talent is there.  And if there is anything I have learned over the past couple of years, it is that almost ANY quarterback can pan out with the right team and coaching staff.  Josh Allen, for example, is much better than I thought he ever would be.  And Ryan Tannehill looks like a near-elite quarterback in Tennessee.  Those teams have great coaches in McDermott and Vrabel.  They know what they are doing and how to build a team.

But that's also my point.  You don't reach for a QB you don't like just because.  That was the main thing I was disagreeing with, to the person I quoted.  Teddy allows us to be patient until we find a QB we really like in the 1st.  And if it's Lance, so be it.  If it isn't, it's okay.  We have time and most importantly, I think, we have a very good coaching staff.

In my personal opinion though, Trey Lance when compared to other 1st round QBs over the last 5 or so years would be at or near the bottom as a prospect.  I'd have argued the same for Allen.  And he worked out.  So I get why Lance is gonna be a 1st round pick, he's just to me more of a 2nd or 3rd round level-prospect with a lot of potential that will go in the 1st because he's a QB.  I didn't mean it to come across as me saying he sucks.  But him not being able to play this year really hurt him in my eyes.

Edited by Mage

6 minutes ago, Mage said:

Look, I am not saying Trey Lance is doomed to fail.  The talent is there.  And if there is anything I have learned over the past couple of years, it is that almost ANY quarterback can pan out with the right team and coaching staff.  Josh Allen, for example, is much better than I thought he ever would be.  And Ryan Tannehill looks like a near-elite quarterback in Tennessee.  Those teams have great coaches in McDermott and Vrabel.  They know what they are doing and how to build a team.

But that's also my point.  You don't reach for a QB you don't like just because.  That was the main thing I was disagreeing with, to the person I quoted.  Teddy allows us to be patient until we find a QB we really like in the 1st.  And if it's Lance, so be it.  If it isn't, it's okay.  We have time and most importantly, I think, we have a very good coaching staff.

In my personal opinion though, Trey Lance when compared to other 1st round QBs over the last 5 or so years would be at or near the bottom as a prospect.  I'd have argued the same for Allen.  And he worked out.  So I get why Lance is gonna be a 1st round pick, he's just to me more of a 2nd or 3rd round level-prospect with a lot of potential that will go in the 1st because he's a QB.  I didn't mean it to come across as me saying he sucks.  But him not being able to play this year really hurt him in my eyes.

Right now, we have the coaching staff to make Trey Lance great man. I get it, we're used to our coaches turning our QB's into poo, or running them into the ground. But, Trey Lance I think can flourish here. Especially under Rhule and Brady. 

1 hour ago, Mage said:

That's a terrible strategy.  You can't just take QBs just because.  If you don't think a guy is gonna work out, don't take him. 

And it's funny you say "let's not end up like Washington."  Washington drafted RG3 and Cousins, then traded picks for Alex Smith, then drafted Dwayne Haskins.  It isn't like they have ignored the QB position.  And where's that gotten them?  

You have to make good evaluations.  Not just taking QBs because of the position they play.  If your goal is to look for a back-up, then wait until the 2nd-4th rounds.

I meant that Washington passed on Tua because they "already had a guy" but that guy wasn't the long-term answer. I'd much rather be like Green Bay and take a QB earlier than we think we do than leave ourselves open to Teddy getting hurt or regressing or having to go into a future contract negotiation with a 30-year old QB and no leverage. 

Also, nobody's advocating taking a QB that you actively don't think is going to work out--they should not take Directional State's QB! But in general I think teams should draft quarterbacks with clear talent more often because we have a clear record showing that when it comes to evaluating QB's we only kind of know what we're doing and plans fall apart much more quickly than we think. Lance has tools, and if he hits, then he's going to be much more valuable than even the best guard of all time, and if he doesn't then we'll probably walk away with something like a third round pick anyway. 

5 minutes ago, theinstrumental said:

I meant that Washington passed on Tua because they "already had a guy" but that guy wasn't the long-term answer. I'd much rather be like Green Bay and take a QB earlier than we think we do than leave ourselves open to Teddy getting hurt or regressing or having to go into a future contract negotiation with a 30-year old QB and no leverage. 

Also, nobody's advocating taking a QB that you actively don't think is going to work out--they should not take Directional State's QB! But in general I think teams should draft quarterbacks with clear talent more often because we have a clear record showing that when it comes to evaluating QB's we only kind of know what we're doing and plans fall apart much more quickly than we think. Lance has tools, and if he hits, then he's going to be much more valuable than even the best guard of all time, and if he doesn't then we'll probably walk away with something like a third round pick anyway. 

Also if teddy balls out for 2 years in a row he is going to want a new deal.  Thats how things seem to work.  I would love for a top talent to sit behind him for a year and learn.  Thats ideal and then have 3-4 years of him on a rookie deal

• Beer 1

Almost everybody has been screaming each week of how we need a MLB.  If one is available we should be filling that spot first.   I don't think QB should be a priority.   

These midseason mock drafts are about as useful as tits on a boar. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Almost everybody has been screaming each week of how we need a MLB.  If one is available we should be filling that spot first.   I don't think QB should be a priority.   

These midseason mock drafts are about as useful as tits on a boar. 

Almost everybody? More like everyone just hates Whitehead. LOL. 

1 minute ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

Almost everybody? More like everyone just hates Whitehead. LOL. 

Like I said, Almost Everybody..... (joke)

• Beer 1

Would not be mad. The Panthers aren’t going to somehow all of a sudden defy history and be one of the only teams to win a super bowl without superior oline. It has to be addressed at some point. Probably smarter to do that somewhat before the next franchise QB instead of after...we already tried that.

Edited by onmyown

With the luxury of this coaching staff I would say trade down and load up.

Teams like the Packers and Steelers never seem to pick big-named flashy guys on draft day, but then they turn into stars after playing a few games.

I am still convinced the Steelers have a linebacker and wide receiver cloning machine. 

10 minutes ago, cardiackat88. said:

With the luxury of this coaching staff I would say trade down and load up.

Teams like the Packers and Steelers never seem to pick big-named flashy guys on draft day, but then they turn into stars after playing a few games.

I am still convinced the Steelers have a linebacker and wide receiver cloning machine. 

Smart move and just load up on oline

3 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Is it really? If there is a prospect you think fits the bill you take him, let TB's contract fall off, and build up around a talented young arm as we will have guys to pay like Moore, Moton, and Burns moving forward. 

This allows you to put the best possible team around a young, inexpensive, but talented option at QB. I like Teddy, but I do not think he is the long term option. 

Now I will add this, I do not know if Lance is a system fit, but we could have said the same about Mahomes going into Reid's passing system when it was dink / dunk under Alex Smith. 

One could argue the fact that there has been no changes in KC's offense. Reid's offense is still a true west coast offense. We've just been so conditioned to look at the big play highlights, fancy plays and ESPN that the actual game is normally not taken into account. Mahomes' QB numbers last year (both high level and advanced) and Smith's in his last year in Reid's system (with all of the players that Mahomes was gifted) were dang near identical. The only ignored difference, Bob Sutton as defensive coordinator. The defense and Andy Reid's time management let the Chiefs down a lot more than Alex Smith at QB. 

*sliding back to the other side*

Wow Wyatt Davis up to #5 now. His brother is going to be in a wedding party with me haha.  Definitely would be my next jersey purchase if we manage to snag him.

37 minutes ago, jahsoul357 said:

One could argue the fact that there has been no changes in KC's offense. Reid's offense is still a true west coast offense. We've just been so conditioned to look at the big play highlights, fancy plays and ESPN that the actual game is normally not taken into account. Mahomes' QB numbers last year (both high level and advanced) and Smith's in his last year in Reid's system (with all of the players that Mahomes was gifted) were dang near identical. The only ignored difference, Bob Sutton as defensive coordinator. The defense and Andy Reid's time management let the Chiefs down a lot more than Alex Smith at QB. 

*sliding back to the other side*

You could argue that, but you'd be cherrypicking the outlier season for Smith in terms of aggressiveness and ignoring the 5,000 yard, 50-touchdown MVP season from Mahomes. 

What about a C since that also is a important need we have. Nobody has yet said anything about this yet and is their a decent one in the upcoming draft worth a look.

Edited by PantherOnTheProwl1523