Carolina Huddle

crowntownpanther

Will DJ Moore be back next year?

4 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Serious question - new to the board, but is it rife with trolls?

This is the second thread I've seen today that can be summarized as "We have a good young player. Should we trade him?"

Not trolling.

Some people have...interesting opinions.

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I think the issue is, "Can we afford all three WRs?" Here is the salary cap dillema:  Anderson needs to be extended--he signed a 2-year, team friendly deal to come to Carolina.  Samuel is more than a #3 WR--he runs the ball and has been improving.  He will need to be paid.  Moore's final year of his contract is (like Anderson) 2021.  So what do you do with him?  The answer is, "nothing" for 2021, but then we are looking at about $35m to pay Anderson and Moore in 2022...

To me, it can be done rather easily, but if you have 20% of your cap at WR, where are you cutting?  To me this is simple:  Cut the dead wood from atop the roster--Okung (do not re-sign), Paradis--and find rookies in the draft and start them as soon as possible. If we re-sign Miller and Moton, then we have a fairly low percentage of the cap invested in an improved OL.  Pay the shaq money to a MLB, not an OLB.  Cut Shaq.  Stuff like that.

Welcome to the Huddle.  There are some quality posters here and I learn a lot from them.  There are a few asshats as well, as with any crowd.  You do not need to find them, they somehow find you. 

I'm not quite sure if this is what you implied but if it comes down to choosing to keep Moore or RA, you keep Moore. 

3 minutes ago, Toomers said:

That’s part of it. 

Also not resigning a player who's contract is up obviously doesn't free up cap space. It was never allocated 

4 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Also not resigning a player who's contract is up obviously doesn't free up cap space. It was never allocated 

You’re on a roll. There’s more. 

7 minutes ago, Toomers said:

You’re on a roll. There’s more. 

Without looking at the contracts specifically I assume some or all of those cuts come with a cap penalty in the form of bonus money being applied next year.

Edited by Moo Daeng

7 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Without looking at the contracts specifically I assume some or all of those cuts come with a cap penalty in the form of bonus money being applied next year.

And in 2022. And you can’t use the space until AFTER June 1. Not much impact from FA then. The whole scenario is just unrealistic. 

• Pie 1

Would Hurney be so stupid to let Moore go? I know he has made some questionable calls but would even he even that dumb? I dont think we have even started to scratch the surface of what he can do if he is fed the ball more and if he continues to develop as he has been.

• Pie 1

DJ Moore might be the most unappreciated stud we have had in Carolina.  2nd only to Star IMO. 

DJ Moore finished as a top 10 WR last year in receiving yards last year.  Currently sits in the top 5 this season.   And the primary conversation this year has been some variation of Robbie Anderson being better to should he be the guy we trade/let go. 

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

We are trading DJ for three first round draft picks.  You heard it here first.  

Swapping DJ Moore for Trevor Lawrence/Justin Fields?

Keep DJ everybody else is suspect. He'd be Smitty and I'd either sign or draft a bigger receiver to help get those tough yards and YACS. Samuel needs his opportunity to be that guy pass or fail. I just think it's somewhere like NY. Anderson? I don't know. Usually i don't like my receivers under 190lb. He's done well but you need some meat on your bones in the NFL.

DJ should remain priority.