Carolina Huddle

electro's horse

That's probably it for Greg Olsen

Greg had an amazing career, sucks to see him go out with an injury. Looking forward to hearing him in the booth he’s going to be great 

• Beer 2

15 minutes ago, Snake said:

And that's after we had a really good TE before him in Westley Walls. 

WELL Before :)

Probably one of the best deals we ever made.  Cam's best security blanket.  

I'll never forget beating Seattle in Seattle.  Cam hit a wide open Olson up the seam.  I nearly hit the roof jumping out of my seat.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Greg had an amazing career, sucks to see him go out with an injury. Looking forward to hearing him in the booth he’s going to be great 

I think he's heading to Fox.  You can bet they are drooling to get him into the booth.  If Seattle IRs him I wouldn't doubt if we see him this year.

I remember last year he was in the booth on our bye week. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think he's heading to Fox.  You can bet they are drooling to get him into the booth.  If Seattle IRs him I wouldn't doubt if we see him this year.

I remember last year he was in the booth on our bye week. 

Yep. I think we see him in the booth very soon.

30 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Do you realize Greg was the first TE with back to back to back 1000 yd seasons?  At minimum ring of honor.

Also remember it wasn't Greg's decision to move on.  We let him go.

It was Greg’s decision.  He asked to be released as he wanted another shot at a ring and not go through another rebuild and we honored the request.  There was no hard feelings or anything but It wasn’t like we cut him when he wanted to stay.

• Pie 1

Had a feeling he probably wouldn't finish the year.

Sad news.

4 minutes ago, vanilla B said:

It was Greg’s decision.  He asked to be released as he wanted another shot at a ring and not go through another rebuild and we honored the request.  There was no hard feelings or anything but It wasn’t like we cut him when he wanted to stay.

Yep. Greg wanted no part of a rebuild which is completely understandable for a 35 year old TE. It was a mutually beneficial move since a 35 year old TE doesn't fit into a rebuild project anyway.

Didn't Olsen dispute that story?

Mind you, that doesn't necessarily mean it's false.

43 minutes ago, Snake said:

Knowing our luck he will retire a Seahawk or Bear. 

Or Hurney will sign him to a 3 year deal.

• The D 1

It's sad to hear, but you almost had to see it coming and I think folks in our organization did.

What a great career and what an absolute gem of a player and a guy to have here with us. Really one of the great team heroes here and I hope he can come back to a point where he loves the organization as much as the fans love him. He's a Ring of Honor player and possibly even more. 

Still, I can't wait to see him in the broadcast booth. He's going to bring as much to that as he brought to the field.

6 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

It's sad to hear, but you almost had to see it coming and I think folks in our organization did.

What a great career and what an absolute gem of a player and a guy to have here with us. Really one of the great team heroes here and I hope he can come back to a point where he loves the organization as much as the fans love him. He's a Ring of Honor player and possibly even more. 

Still, I can't wait to see him in the broadcast booth. He's going to bring as much to that as he brought to the field.

It would be nice if they team him up on Panther games. Seems like when we have a fox game (most of the time) It's the same crew.

• Pie 1

I don't expect we'll hear anything too scathing from Olsen, but I still always find it interesting when a longtime Panther retires and they have the freedom to say whatever they feel.

Gotta figure Olsen knows a lot about what went on behind the scenes over the years, but whether he's willing to talk about it or not is unknown.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

Man, he did alot for the community, a poo load. He worked with my foundation as well, so I am bias. He is just a good dude overall. His performance on the field had him as a top TE for consecutive seasons. Maybe it is overkill.

I agree, I love Greg and he was one of the best Panthers of all time. But there's just only so many jerseys you can use and if you retire the jersey of a TE we had for less than a decade and who was never quite elite but consistently in that 2nd tier of above average before injuries derailed his career here, then that is a very very low bar to set for players to get their jersey retired. There can be a conversation about #89, #59, and #1, I don't think so for #88. 

Just now, t96 said:

I agree, I love Greg and he was one of the best Panthers of all time. But there's just only so many jerseys you can use and if you retire the jersey of a TE we had for less than a decade and who was never quite elite but consistently in that 2nd tier of above average before injuries derailed his career here, then that is a very very low bar to set for players to get their jersey retired. There can be a conversation about #89, #59, and #1, I don't think so for #88. 

Correct me if im wrong, when you retire a jersey in the NFL, its doesnt literally get retired. Its still a rosterable number, right?

5 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Correct me if im wrong, when you retire a jersey in the NFL, its doesnt literally get retired. Its still a rosterable number, right?

I don't know if there are any official rules about it, but in practice if a jersey # gets retired, it is never worn again. Exceptions exist for superstar free agents with certain blessings from the team and player whose number was retired, such as Peyton Manning getting #18 in Denver, but for the most part, no if a # is retired it won't be worn again by that team.

I remember the 2007 draft and wanted Carolina to take Olsen with the 25th pick of the 1st round. The Panthers took Jonathan Beason instead, not a bad pick at the time, and Olsen went at #31 to Chicago.

Beason suffered a long series of injuries that ultimately ended his career. Although he didn't retire until after the 2015 season, he hadn't played a full season since 2010 with the Panthers.

I think Greg Olsen and, before him, Stephen Davis, were the 2 best FA signings this team has ever had.

• Beer 1