Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,497 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

...as discussed by Jonathan Jones

Clausen's Panthers future uncertain

According to one team source, Clausen’s roster spot might not be up in the air because of any quarterback philosophy but instead the myriad injuries to the offensive line. Tackle Bruce Campbell will soon go to injured reserve and guards Amini Silatolu, Jeff Byers and Edmund Kugbila sat out of practice Sunday with various injuries, so Clausen’s spot could be better served on a healthy lineman rather than an inactive quarterback.

As the Panthers have seen what Clausen has done during exhibitions, so, too, have NFL teams that might be in need of a backup. Though Clausen wouldn’t exactly be a splash trade for a team, there are a handful of teams in the market for a trustworthy backup.

After starter Mark Sanchez went out of an exhibition Saturday with an injury, the New York Jets were reported to be interested in Matt Leinart and John Beck, who together have played for seven teams in their careers.

Leinart signed with the Bills on Sunday with doubts surrounding starter E.J. Manuel and backup Kevin Kolb’s availability for Week 1. Later Sunday, Buffalo traded with Detroit to get Thaddeus Lewis, a third-year quarterback from Duke who has 32 passes in his NFL career.

And after signing Seneca Wallace, the 49ers are reportedly trying to trade Colt McCoy, whose skill set isn’t that dissimilar to Clausen’s. San Francisco has already fielded calls for McCoy, according to one report.

Clausen will get his next opportunity to impress coaches Thursday when the Panthers host Pittsburgh. Rivera has yet to decide how much the starters will play against the Steelers, and he didn’t rule out the possibility of Clausen playing as much as one half.

It could be his chance to show everyone just how far he’s come.

#2 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Watch Jimmy get cut, sign with the Jets, start the game against the Panthers this year, and have the best game of his career.  400 yards, 5 TDS.  

In all seriousness though, the only reason he would get cut is to open up another roster spot.  Correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that cutting him would cost just about the same as keeping him around.  Who knows what he does behind closed doors.  He seems like a smart guy and is basically another QB coach for Cam.  

#3 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,329 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

we like to poo on Jimmy but i think he is developing in to a decent backup, he has had a better preseason than Anderson

#4 pdub0702

pdub0702

pdub0702

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSouthern Pines, NC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

I would really like to Clausen have a solid performance against the Steelers and potentially set ourselves up for a OL trade.

#5 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Jimmy should be a scout team QB

#6 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

Dont want.him anymore to be honest. Give the spot to someone new.

#7 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

Back up OL for Jimmy??? Win, win!

#8 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,497 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

Watch Jimmy get cut, sign with the Jets, start the game against the Panthers this year, and have the best game of his career.  400 yards, 5 TDS.  

In all seriousness though, the only reason he would get cut is to open up another roster spot.  Correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that cutting him would cost just about the same as keeping him around.  Who knows what he does behind closed doors.  He seems like a smart guy and is basically another QB coach for Cam.  

I was willing to buy the scenario till I saw it involved a Jets quarterback having a great game.

My suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

#9 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

I challenge anyone to look at our roster and decide on 22 more cuts and have Clausen not be one of them. Good luck!

#10 Cam2Ligit2Quit

Cam2Ligit2Quit

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

hey can be a valuable young backup in Shula run first system 

#11 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

we like to poo on Jimmy but i think he is developing in to a decent backup, he has had a better preseason than Anderson

He has a 53 completion %, 93 yards, a 5.5 avg, no TDs or INTs, and a lost fumble. I wouldn't use this preseason to say he is developing into a decent backup.

#12 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,497 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

hey can be a valuable young backup in Shula run first system 

I'd buy that a whole lot more if we were running a WCO.

We're not.

#13 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,329 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

He has a 53 completion %, 93 yards, a 5.5 avg, no TDs or INTs, and a lost fumble. I wouldn't use this preseason to say he is developing into a decent backup.

None of our quarterbacks are playing well. Cam's completion percentage is only 50% and Derek Anderson doesn't have any TDs and one INT, Hell Pickles has a higher QB rating than both of them.

#14 Cam2Ligit2Quit

Cam2Ligit2Quit

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

But it was behind backups Olines... if the starters sucks think how bad the backups will be 

#15 SooSlow84

SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

Clausens contract is practically guaranteed in full.
He has a million dollar cap hit regardless if he's on the roster or not.

Derek Anderson has a bit above a million dollar cap hit and its not guaranteed at all. Trade DA to the browns for a 7th or cut him and roll with clausen this year to save a million dollars in cap.

I realize I'm probably alone in this opinion but DA has looked horrible so far this year and clausen has looked good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.