Photo
- - - - -

(Edited) Rivera is only under contract through next year

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#61 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

If some of you guys are convinced that a coach would be a head coach with no financial security, and would be happy to just accept that, then answer this:  Why don't we just offer every head coaching candidate a 1 year contract?  Just let him earn the privilege of coaching the Carolina Panthers next season EVERY season?  Why even offer 4 years up front?  What did they do to deserve 4 years before they were even a head coach?

#62 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

9-7 is enough for me. The first winning season since '08 should be enough to give him a chance for back to back winning seasons.

#63 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

My point is this, when the season is over we need to make a decision.  Is this the guy we want coaching our team?

If the answer is yes, we need to extend him.  if the answer is no, then we need to fire him.  The idea of letting him sit on the last year to prove himself is not a good idea.  Either commit to the guy and say he is our guy, or fire him and get the guy that you think is your guy.

My personal belief is that if we win 10 games, even if we don't make the playoffs, you extend him.  If he is 8-8 or worse, you likely fire him.  9-7 is kinda limbo, could go either way.

#64 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

If some of you guys are convinced that a coach would be a head coach with no financial security, and would be happy to just accept that, then answer this:  Why don't we just offer every head coaching candidate a 1 year contract?  Just let him earn the privilege of coaching the Carolina Panthers next season EVERY season?  Why even offer 4 years up front?  What did they do to deserve 4 years before they were even a head coach?

We did offer him four years. You keep implying that it's a huge insult not to extend him after this season. There's absolutely nothing wrong with letting him work out his contract knowing that he will get and extension if the results next year warrant it. 

#65 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

We did offer him four years. You keep implying that it's a huge insult not to extend him after this season. There's absolutely nothing wrong with letting him work out his contract knowing that he will get and extension if the results next year warrant it.

It is an insult. It shows a complete lack of commitment and/or faith.

John Fox had two years left on his deal, and he pretty much quit talking to JR and Hurney after they refused to give him an extension after winning the NFC South in 2008.

If he is the guy you extend him, if he isn't you fire him. Otherwise, all the assistants and Ron are desperately trying to find employment for the next year instead of focusing on the Panthers

What about the coordinators. Every one of them will be trying to jump ship to a more stable situation. At the very least they will be spending more time looking for next season's job instead of focusing on the Panthers.

It is just a terrible idea that sends an even worse message. Need proof? Just look at 2010.

#66 Sawyerballer

Sawyerballer

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

The players respect him and play for him. He seems to be learning the nuances of being the head coach. 10-6 and extend him. Imagine the loss of morale if he Is let go.

#67 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

It is an insult. It shows a complete lack of commitment and/or faith.

John Fox had two years left on his deal, and he pretty much quit talking to JR and Hurney after they refused to give him an extension after winning the NFC South in 2008.

If he is the guy you extend him, if he isn't you fire him. Otherwise, all the assistants and Ron are desperately trying to find employment for the next year instead of focusing on the Panthers

What about the coordinators. Every one of them will be trying to jump ship to a more stable situation. At the very least they will be spending more time looking for next season's job instead of focusing on the Panthers.

It is just a terrible idea that sends an even worse message. Need proof? Just look at 2010.

Agree to disagree. You're a good poster and i'm not trying to be intentionally contrary. I just think that Ron is on the hot seat and going from 'should've been fired' to 'extended' is too big of a leap if we don't make the playoffs. I think 10-6 earns another year, not an extension.

If he and his coaching staff have one year to earn an extension, and they spend that year looking for jobs elsewhere instead of trying to win, then I don't think they should be coaching at this level.

#68 scarface

scarface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

He doesn't deserve an extension at this point but he definitely doesn't deserve to be let go either. Sooooo many fans blame things on him but alot of the games we've lost were because of the players blowing it (i.e. Falcons, Bills, Seahawks, etc.) and not the coaching. He inherited a horrible team and he's improved them each year. With a good GM now and another strong draft and free agency next year this team should be at or near the top of the NFC.

#69 IGSaint

IGSaint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

He doesn't deserve an extension at this point but he definitely doesn't deserve to be let go either. Sooooo many fans blame things on him but alot of the games we've lost were because of the players blowing it (i.e. Falcons, Bills, Seahawks, etc.) and not the coaching. He inherited a horrible team and he's improved them each year. With a good GM now and another strong draft and free agency next year this team should be at or near the top of the NFC.

The bills lost was because of players blowing it AND bad coaching from rivera. If we go for it on 4th and 1 we probably get the first down and win the game, or if we actually play for a touchdown in the 4th quarter instead of playing for a field goal maybe we win too. What I'm saying here is that coaching lost us the bills game as much as the players did.

#70 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

well it looks like November 2013 is the month for all the Rivera haters.

if we come out of it 4-0 or 3-1............you better get used to Coach Rivera.

#71 KillerKat

KillerKat

GTFO Shula

HUDDLER

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

You can't give a medal to someone when the marathon is only halfway over.

#72 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

HUDDLER

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

The only way I say extend him before the seasons done is if we keep on winning and blow past the 9ers and the Pats. If Rivera can get that much out of this team then he deserves another 3 years.