Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Jeremy Igo

Grill Bill: Bill says enjoy the ride

It’s natural to be emotional over it. I get it. 

But many folks are getting emotional over what they read in the media, and much of that is speculative. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ellis said:

But many folks are getting emotional over what they read in the media, and much of that is speculative. 

This is unfortunately true.

I grew up in an age where "news" was actually the exact opposite of "speculation".  Many people did, and it's hard to break the paradigm of "If it's news it must be true"

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, ellis said:

Pretty much.

I've learned over the years not to get too attached to players because they come and go.

The team is what remains, and winning is what matters. Anything else is secondary.

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, ellis said:

I find it unnatural to get emotional. Having a strong opinion I get. Emotional not at all.

4 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

I find it unnatural to get emotional. Having a strong opinion I get. Emotional not at all.

I share your view. I don’t get emotional over one player. But Lordy, a lot of fans do. 

• Pie 2

The local radio guys preach about how silly it is to get entrenched in this and are condescending to fans who do. Then they go on for hours, days, weeks fanning the flames and preaching their own take.

I'm talking to youb WFNZ as its obvious you read this to formulate your divisive shows while preaching against it. It's like politics.

"Enjoy the ride" almost as if it's not about one player and is instead about the team winning. How refreshing.

• Pie 1

Bill’s job, by design, is that of in-house pragmatist. 

He’s always been pretty pragmatic in his views, however. I don’t think he’s simply a mouthpiece for the organization at this point. 

He also happens to be right. It’s kinda what we’ve been saying for weeks now: take it one week at a time, keep winning, and let’s see what happens.

There’s a lot of emotional attachment to Cam Newton out there. I can tell you right now: some consumers are more attached to Newton than the team. I don’t know how many, I don’t have a percentage for you, but it’s not insignificant. 

Edited by ellis
  • Pie 2

I mean he’s right.  When Brady went down with an injury and Cassel came in and went ham on defenses and carrried the team, you didn’t hear about any debates from their fan base about who they would want to keep playing...

23 minutes ago, ellis said:

I share your view. I don’t get emotional over one player. But Lordy, a lot of fans do. 

These days I probably evaluate individual players more so than cheer for them. I know a lot of people are tied up in the politics of particular players but I just don't give a damn.

Obviously, I want them to succeed as long as they're Panthers. And on any given team there are good guys (like Thomas Davis) a--holes (Jimmy Clausen always came across as kind of an entitled jerk) and neutral guys (most of them, honestly) but if an a--hole happens to score, I can forgive him.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, ItsJustMe said:

I mean he’s right.  When Brady went down with an injury and Cassel came in and went ham on defenses and carrried the team, you didn’t hear about any debates from their fan base about who they would want to keep playing...

You can’t really compare the two situations. Brady had just gone 16-0 and led the greatest offense of all time. If this situation was happening in 2016 we would not be treating it the same way we are now because Cam would have been coming off an MVP 15-1 year.

6 minutes ago, Bartin said:

You can’t really compare the two situations. Brady had just gone 16-0 and led the greatest offense of all time. If this situation was happening in 2016 we would not be treating it the same way we are now because Cam would have been coming off an MVP 15-1 year.

Correct. You can't take that context out of the equation.

The most recent evaluations that we have on Newton would fall under the category of "good, but limited". He performed well through the first eight games last year but it was still pretty obvious that something was wrong. This preseason, it didn't even get that far. Now there's concern about him possibly being fragile.

Yeah, I know. "He's Superman". Except he isn't.

He may be an athletic freak, but athletic freaks are still human.

Edited by Mr. Scot

59 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Emmitt Smith, Brett Favre and many others all wound up being let go from the teams they were iconically tied to.

It may or may not happen to Cam Newton, but believing that it's totally impossible is incorrect.

Montana was out for 2 full seasons with Young playing at literally an MVP level in his stead.  Manning injury sidelined him for a whole season and they had can't miss prospect Luck waiting in the draft.  Farve "retired" with Rodgers sitting behind him. Cowboys were rebuilding.

10 minutes ago, ItsJustMe said:

On the flip side the Brees and Brady comparisons really don't apply either because, as unfair as it may be to an individual player on a a team playing 50+ people, the teams had significant success with them before the injury (NFC Championship Game, Super Bowl Appearance respectively).

Yes there is the playing through injury aspect which is why we're bombarded with "100% healthy Cam".