Carolina Huddle
Sign in to follow this  
PhillyB

so why did rhule call an onside with 2:00 to go

low percentage shot gives it to the bad guys at the 50 instead of the 25

one of the worst coaching calls i've ever seen out of a panthers HC.

He's an awesome tank commander, I grow harder and harder for Lawrence with every play. But truth be told, our defense was not stopping tampa bay there. They need to change onside kick rules 2 seasons ago.

Edited by thunderraiden
  • Beer 1

Bad call and honestly bad kick by Slye the ball set was terrible with our speed we should have been a shallow end over end kick.

Not really...we weren’t getting the ball back otherwise...if we did we would have had to go 80 yds in like 40 seconds

we needed a TD when we got a FG

Edited by bull123

We had only 2 timeouts left.  A first down ends the game no matter where they are on the field.

Not sure why this is a debate at all.  In the scenario where all the other team needs is a first down to ice the game, then the onside kick is the right decision.

• Pie 4

Onsides quick is rarely a good call. Typically it's a horrible call. Last ditch effort. Act of pure desperation with almost no chance of success. 

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

Because they only needed a first down to win the game so it didn’t matter if they were at the 50 or the 25. It was a good call.

This. Made no difference really if they did or not. They needed a 3 and out regardless. 

• Pie 1

gives them a shorter field so less yards against the defense and less time off the clock when they inevitably give up a touchdown and the offense gets the ball back quicker for a bunch of underneath throws before time expires

The oneside kick was actually smart. You have to stop them from getting the first down or you lose, them being almost at field goal range is irrelevant because if there's a first down you lose anyway...

The only thing that could be said is if we did stop them and they punted they could pin us in our own endzone..

If you kick all the way down you have to stop them from getting a first down or you lose, and if you onside it you have to stop them from getting a first or you lose, so with the latter at least you get a slim slim chance of getting it back.

• Pie 2

I think we're so use to coaches being idiots that when they do something smart thats out of the ordinary we question it lol

• Pie 1

Not sure the onside was the bad play. I think Teddy throwing the completion to Davis killed us. 

After that illegal grouding call, probably should have been thinking FG. Every throw should have been in the endzone or really close to it. Otherwise kick the FG with 2 timeouts and a 2 minute warning. I don't think Rhule kicks an onside in that scenario. 

• Pie 1

College excuses here. Anyone who watches the NFL knows a three and out stops a lot easier when they are in their own 20 yard line. 

If we had stopped them there, they could go for it much easier on 4th instead of if they were at their own 29 yard line.

i mean considering the panthers gave up a 50 yard TD on the next play which was certainly what the bucs would have also called from their own 25....

tre boston is getting outrun either way

• Pie 1