Carolina Huddle

Sign in to follow this  
Captroop

Trump's New Executive Order: MORE Washington Cronyism

I'm gonna preface this by saying that there's a lot of inside the beltway type language that will make a lot of eyes glaze over. So I don't want to bury the lede:

Trump is trying to remove every Federal employee who will not tow his line (i.e. Fauci) and give himself the authority to appoint his own cronies to these positions. It's the end of an apolitical Federal Government. It makes the entire Federal Government an extension of the President himself. It's an outrage, but probably something that most won't care about because they don't understand it. It is the end of any expectation of truth from the Federal Government, the end of any hope of accountability, and the guarantee of predatory adverse actions and unrestrained reprisal against any employee of the Federal Government who won't hold the President's jock.

You're forgiven for not comprehending why the change that is described in the following post is such a big deal, but you simply must inform yourself on what he is doing, and act accordingly.

Now, onto the post proper:

If you ever believed Trump was going to drain the swamp, you're stupid. If you STILL think Trump is draining the swamp, you're full r*****.

Yesterday, Trump signed a new executive order that would creates a new class of Federal Employee (Schedule F) for "policy-making" Federal employees, and gives him the authority to unilaterally reclassify Feds into this new category. The difference? Schedule F are at-will employees, non-competitive appointments, and can he hired and fired at will. And strips away their Union protection, so there's nothing they can do about it.

American Federation of Government Employees National President Everett Kelley said in a statement on Thursday that the executive order is “the most profound undermining of the civil service system in our lifetimes.”

“This executive order strips due process rights and protections from perhaps hundreds of thousands of federal employees and will enable political appointees and other officials to hire and fire these workers at will,” Kelley said. “Through this order, President Trump has declared war on the professional civil service by giving himself the authority to fill the government with his political cronies who will pledge their unwavering loyalty to him—not to America.”

In other words, Trump can fire whoever disagrees with him, and hire his own cronies. Positions throughout the government that are supposed to be competitively sourced based on the candidate's ability to meet the qualification, will be appointed by him directly.

“If you think about examples of how this could play out, Dr. [Anthony] Fauci could be fired, as well as individuals at the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] who are producing analysis about the spread of the coronavirus, social distancing and the importance of masks,” Kettl said. “You could have people within the State Department raising questions about the administration’s expansion of efforts to engage in crackdowns and change other policies who could be fired. The people counting the number of immigrant children who cannot be reunited with their parents could be fired. There’s no end to it because the biggest risk is that anyone who says anything that would be in opposition to the administration’s policy could be viewed as in a policy-making position, put in Schedule F and fired.”

https://www.govexec.com/management/2020/10/stunning-executive-order-would-politicize-civil-service/169479/

Trump was never about draining the swamp. And anyone familiar with the working of the Federal Government could have told you that years ago. He's the ultimate Swamp creature. He's alpha and omega swamp thing. He's just not even trying to hide it anymore. This is just one more step towards his making the U.S. Government his authoritarian regime. And so far, the Republican voters of America are content, nay HAPPY to see him do it!

The Schedule F recommendations are set to go into effect the day before the inauguration. In other words, on the first day of his second Term, he'd be able to fire every single Obama holdover, and appoint a new crony who will tow his line and cover up for him with no restriction.

I don't care how much the bots are swaying you to not vote for Biden. Trump is bit-by-bit eroding away the fabric of our democracy. He is an existential threat against our nation, and he must be removed.

Edited by Captroop
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Is he trying to bypass congressionally approved appointments with this too?

It doesn't look like it. This action seems like it's primarily directed at Schedule C appointees. Basically the highest ranking employees serving under presidential appointees. They are presently appointed using the Merit System, i.e. competitively. And they are considered career Federal servants; and are a consistent presence within Federal Departments and Agencies across decades and many administrations.

Trump, apparently, doesn't like not having the ability to fire these people at will when they won't back the lies he's spinning, or doctor the numbers to match what he's claiming. So he's creating a whole new Schedule, just to oust them.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Is he trying to bypass congressionally approved appointments with this too?

he already figured out a loop hole for that. 

just have an acting position. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

he already figured out a loop hole for that. 

just have an acting position. 

Well that's not really how the rule is written but the senate wouldn't fight him on that. I mean flipping acting people is a pretty grey area but there have been plenty of times that was legally violated and the courts up to appeals so far said so.

well enough people thought it was a good idea for Trump to run his country like his businesses.

10 minutes ago, Captroop said:

It doesn't look like it. This action seems like it's primarily directed at Schedule C appointees. Basically the highest ranking employees serving under presidential appointees. They are presently appointed using the Merit System, i.e. competitively. And they are considered career Federal servants; and are a consistent presence within Federal Departments and Agencies across decades and many administrations.

Trump, apparently, doesn't like not having the ability to fire these people at will when they won't back the lies he's spinning, or doctor the numbers to match what he's claiming. So he's creating a whole new Schedule, just to oust them.

Ya if this gets through before his term is done and Biden wins I can imagine he'd try and fire everyone just to cause a huge mess for Biden on entrance. 

3 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Ya if this gets through before his term is done and Biden wins I can imagine he'd try and fire everyone just to cause a huge mess for Biden on entrance. 

Ugh. Yeah, probably. That date is just way too suspicious. There's no way he's not trying to do something diabolical.

• Pie 1

If Trump loses, I'd imagine enough Republican senators would get on board with the Dems to pass emergency legislation preventing this from happening, and tying it up long enough for the transition. I guess a lot of it would depend on how entrenched Trump toadies are in the various departments that could sway the implementation but that's just a wild ass guess.

4 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

I don't think this about anything more than Trump creating a structure where folks are forced into loyalty to him vs the people. 

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

I don't think this about anything more than Trump creating a structure where folks are forced into loyalty to him vs the people. 

It certainly has a lot to do with that as the main point but the timing is very suspect, I guess he thinks if he wins he can get a head start on it but he also said "I don't think I'm a good loser." or what ever it was. I could easily see it being a "Win-Win" for him in his mind.

Edited by Harbingers

I just fuging hate how this is going to be the norm from now on. Democrats aren’t gonna go back to the way things were once they’re in power, everyone likes more 

1 hour ago, Gazi said:

I just fuging hate how this is going to be the norm from now on. Democrats aren’t gonna go back to the way things were once they’re in power, everyone likes more 

On this issue they will. Remember this hasn't even begun to hit the courts yet.

Follow up on this Exec Order. Been keeping an eye on how Washington reacts, and it's getting quite a response:

The head of the Federal Salary Council, who advises the president on issues concerning pay and compensation for Federal employees just resigned. Trump appointed him to that position in 2017. His resignation letter is very damning.

“On its surface, the president’s executive order purports to serve a legitimate and laudable purpose—that is, to hold career federal employees ‘more accountable’ for their performance,” Sanders wrote. “That is something that I have spent most of my professional life—almost four decades in federal service (over 20 as a member of the Senior Executive Service)—trying to do. However, it is clear that its stated purpose withstanding, the executive order is nothing more than a smokescreen for what is clearly an attempt to require the political loyalty of those who advise the president, or failing that, to enable their removal with little if any due process.

Sanders wrote that although he is a lifelong Republican, he takes great pride in the fact that he served under three Democratic and three Republican presidents.

“I simply cannot be part of an administration that seeks . . . to replace apolitical expertise with political obeisance,” he wrote. “[To] some, requiring that loyalty may seem entirely appropriate. After all, shouldn’t all employees do what the boss and his lieutenants tell them to do? I say no, at least not when it comes to career civil servants. The only ‘boss’ they serve is the public, and the laws that their elected representatives enact, whether this or any president likes it or not . . . That is the way our Constitution is supposed to work, and no president should be able to remove career civil servants whose only sin is they may speak such a truth to him.”

https://www.govexec.com/management/2020/10/salary-council-chairman-resigns-protest-trump-order-politicizing-federal-workforce/169551/

These are his own appointees, @bull123. The people who work with him every day even grasp what seems so difficult for you to come to terms with. He's a vicious, narcissistic, autocrat wannabe. And if we're all lucky, literally all of us, including you, his term ends this year.

Edited by Captroop
Including link to the article.

Wait! Didn't Obama remove all federal appointments when he come into office? The liberal media applauded this move at the time. Why the double standard?

Trump spent a whole lot of time in the first term dealing with a lot of shenanigans from democrats and the russia conspiracy that was proved bunk. Not approving federal appointments by house democrats. The list goes on.

This is no different than every president that throws the bums out and gives positions to those who supported them during the campaign. Is this the first time you have heard of a president doing this? How unread are you?