• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Viewing The Game If Power Goes Out

pamlicopanther

27 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Yikes.  Maybe posting in this thread was bad luck for me.  Power cuts are pretty common here in my West African city..., but the power situation has been pretty good the past few weeks.  Problems are usually worse in summer when folks are running A/C and overloading the grid.  Didn't think there'd be a problem tonight. BUT... Lost power here about 10 minutes ago.  Fortunately, we have a battery back up system in our office (where I'm watching the game tonight, via laptop).  Should last 4 hours.  Keeps our wifi running...  I assume the power will be back on before the game.  Most outtages are < 2 - 3 hours.  But still, a hassle.

Gonna sign off for a while.

Best of luck to you.

2 hours ago, Skydivingcows said:

I'd call some neighbors and see what there plans are.  If a few head in different directions then you'd know which bar is the best bet if it comes to that.

for home, the power inverter is about the best idea.  Don't forget about hunting down an UPS battery to plug the laptops into if you need to rotate them though as well.   You could even power the tv for a bit and hope that it comes back online within 15 minutes if you have an OTA ant hooked up.

I didn't want to deal with this scenario so I bought a solar panel, charge controller, some speaker wire, and 2 UPS batteries that connect to an inverter via terminals.  Once that thing charges up you don't have to worry about short term power outages as you can get enough juice to laptops, tablets and phones for a long time without using the car.

Lots of neat stuff to look into for the future.  Those are things I have never thought of.

2 hours ago, wud35 said:

In Winston Salem, my power went out this morning at 9:30. Was freaking out and out to lose it but came back on at 12:00. Wohoo. Good luck to y'all will halls. 

That will get the blood pumping early on Super Bowl Sunday.

We are doing good so far.  The wind is certainly blowing, but nothing outrageous. 

Archived