187 replies to this topic

#31 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,791 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Williams consistantly going down with any contact isn't a Shula issue.

Poor play design, like wildcats in the red zone, is.

#32 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,732 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

I don't know why people think Tolbert can't be an every down back. I think he can. Especially this year at a lighter weight.

Sent from Carolina Huddle App for Android.

I remember Tolbert sucking air last year, plus his running style is not exactly conducive to every down.  He is a big guy.  His production will drop markedly if he is expected to carry the load.  I think that his most efficient use is as a change of pace back.

#33 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,276 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

Again, Williams going down with any contact isn't a Shula or play calling issue. SF, Sea, etc ran a lot of vanilla and predictable poo just like us last year.....DeAngelo wouldn't of worked for them either.

#34 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,960 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

Fred Jackson has had 1000 yards once in his career, when he was 26-27. He ran for less than 900 yards last season. DWill had a seriously down year last year with two Pro Bowlers on the offensive line (one of the very few NFL teams to have 2 Pro Bowlers out of the 5 on the offensive line). 

Fozzy just hasn't had a chance to shine in a game, thus the reason he runs the way he does, with an attitude.

And it's not Fozzy versus DWill, like you're trying to make it out. It's a young, hungry RB versus an old (by NFL standards) beat-up RB. I'd take the young, fresh one any day of the week.

Deangelo is better than Fozzy. It's not really close. But sure I would rather have Fozzy if I could get rid of Deangelo's cap space.

#35 The cat

The cat

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

The larger rbs are going to play better than the smaller ones when you have o line issues. The big guys run over people. D will isn't going to run over anyone between the tackles. I beleve He will be fine if we have the starters healthy on the line

#36 Jeremy Igo

Jeremy Igo

Administrator

• MFCEO
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

Deangelo is better than Fozzy. It's not really close. But sure I would rather have Fozzy if I could get rid of Deangelo's cap space.

I'm really not so sure about that at this point. fozzy has run through a few tackles this preseason that Williams could not have gone through.

#37 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,960 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

How many Wildcats do we see a year? 4? 5? While those are head scratchers I think way too much is made of them. It's the entire offense that needs a look at.

#38 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,276 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

The larger rbs are going to play better than the smaller ones when you have o line issues. The big guys run over people. D will isn't going to run over anyone between the tackles. I beleve He will be fine if we have the starters healthy on the line

We got what we got. Line was healthy against KC and that was a our "real" preseason game.

Williams needs to be an actual backup to 28.

#39 Pox 08

Pox 08

Luck of the Fryrish

• HUDDLER
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

Love Dwill...and knowing that he has been through a lot off the field,  it makes me feel guilty to say this but..

the guy should not be starting.     I want to pull my hair out every time I see him take the ball and stumbles before he even reaches the LOS.      The stumble/trip and fall to the first defender that touches him killed so many of our drives last year.  He had his good moments,  but the bad moments seemed to far outnumber the good moments. 

#40 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

I wouldn't say that D Will is the 3rd best RB on the team, in fact, I won't, he's either 1 or 2. D Will is our homerun threat. Stew and Tolbert (our FB) is better between the tackles. They need to be used to their advantage to maximize their production.

#41 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,000 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

Somebody keeps telling DW to run thru the tackles instead of getting outside

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#42 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,276 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

Somebody keeps telling DW to run thru the tackles instead of getting outside

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Play design.

Plus, I think people assume Williams is more explosive than he really is at this point

#43 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,960 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

I'm really not so sure about that at this point. fozzy has run through a few tackles this preseason that Williams could not have gone through.

Fozzy just isn't as fast. Deangelo still has the ability to break a game wide open by running away from everyone. You saw it vs. the Jets and Saints last year. Deangelo had over 1100 yards from scrimmage last year, that's not terrible. But he faded late in the year which left a bad taste in everyone's mouths. I'd contend injuries to the line contributed.

#44 The cat

The cat

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

We got what we got. Line was healthy against KC and that was a our "real" preseason game.

Williams needs to be an actual backup to 28.

I agree Stewart should start

#45 punkpanther

punkpanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

I think the staff has more confidence in Tolbert than any other back on the roster . He has had 3 carries this pre season in 3 games . it's almost like they are saving him for when it counts...hmmmm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com