• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

I don't think you can base the ability of a team on one game.

BYU beat Oklahoma...are they now a national title contender?

Ohio State needed a 2pt conversion INT to beat Navy...Does that mean that they are now a mediocre team in the Big 10?

Boston College beat a team 54-0...Are they all of a sudden a threat to win their division?

I mean until you get into conference you have no clue how good your team is and that is a fact...ESPECIALLY when it was as uneventful a game as the NCSU game was. Lets not forget this is the same offense that put up a combined 150 points in their last 5 games. I don't think they have forgotten everything that made them good at the end of last year.

#17 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,359 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

Tweeder you're right the ACC sucks. Big East is better than them. Which we will find out Saturday when Uconn plays UNC.

#18 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

Tweeder you're right the ACC sucks. Big East is better than them. Which we will find out Saturday when Uconn plays UNC.

Easy now. The Big East hasn't done anything either.:P

Of course, I'm not about to take Uconn lightly though. They lost Brown, but they still have two good RB's. They should give UNC's defense a pretty good test.

#19 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

That is such a biased statement its ridiculous. I hate UNC but I would never say they are a bad football team if they lost to an SEC team because of one or two plays. Your bias automatically voids any opinion that you have...

I would like to think that even those that hate NCSU like Tweeder and Monstercat would agree with me on this statement...At least they are rational thinkers.

no they are not bad football teams, because of two reasons

A) They have only played one game this season

B) They both have beat Carolina within the past two years

now people are thinking why make this thread after one game if one of my arguments is they have only played one game....remember this is the SEC we are talking about even their middle of the pack schools are much more talented then most of the nation, and also the fact of it is they are not Division 1-AA which the ACC lost to two of those schools, and one of those schools is a really REALLY bad school

I would say out of all the loses I would exempt two because of who they played, it just hurt the conference that they lost also

Edited by Tweeder, 08 September 2009 - 06:19 PM.

#20 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

I don't think you can base the ability of a team on one game.

BYU beat Oklahoma...are they now a national title contender?

Ohio State needed a 2pt conversion INT to beat Navy...Does that mean that they are now a mediocre team in the Big 10?

Boston College beat a team 54-0...Are they all of a sudden a threat to win their division?

I mean until you get into conference you have no clue how good your team is and that is a fact...ESPECIALLY when it was as uneventful a game as the NCSU game was. Lets not forget this is the same offense that put up a combined 150 points in their last 5 games. I don't think they have forgotten everything that made them good at the end of last year.

Well if BYU runs the table they have a legitimate gripe. And that's very possible.

Every team in the big 10 is mediocre.

No.

True.

#21 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

umm didn't UConn almost loose to Ohio? Also, didn't Carolina roll UConn last year before all their talented graduated or went to the NFL?

Here is how I would rate the Conferences right now

1. SEC
2. Pac-10
3. Big 12 (without Bradford, with him I would put them ahead of PAc-10)
4. Big-10
5. ACC and Big East

Edited by Tweeder, 08 September 2009 - 06:16 PM.

#22 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

I would put the ACC ahead of the Big-10. Only thing i would do different.

#23 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

After thinking about this long and hard I'm gonna go out on a limb and say. I don't think it matters that much about how we are perceived next to other conferences.

Unless you have national title aspirations OOC doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Lets be honest VaTech was the only team with a prayer and it was all but lost when Evans went down. Teams that win their respective divisions still go to prestigious bowls no matter what. The ACC Champ still gets to try to prove itself against a top 15 team in the Orange Bowl. It sucks to listen to the SEC and the Big 12 brag about their football but that is what they do...they freakin breed football players down there. Unless we are unreasonable fans or the once in a decade VaTech teams we aren't expecting national title runs. Most of us would be happy if our teams went 9-3 on a regular basis with a legit run every once in a while to be on the national stage...

#24 Bama Panther

Bama Panther

USAF JAG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

Bama's offense isn't going to blow out anyone so I wouldn't take it as a moral victory for VT.

I would say that 498 yards against one of the traditionally better defenses in the country is pretty good. Everyone talked about the defensive struggle that the game would be. In reality, Bama scored about 48 points (34 of their own and they gave VT a couple of their touchdowns).

#25 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:18 AM

After thinking about this long and hard I'm gonna go out on a limb and say. I don't think it matters that much about how we are perceived next to other conferences.

Unless you have national title aspirations OOC doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Lets be honest VaTech was the only team with a prayer and it was all but lost when Evans went down. Teams that win their respective divisions still go to prestigious bowls no matter what. The ACC Champ still gets to try to prove itself against a top 15 team in the Orange Bowl. It sucks to listen to the SEC and the Big 12 brag about their football but that is what they do...they freakin breed football players down there. Unless we are unreasonable fans or the once in a decade VaTech teams we aren't expecting national title runs. Most of us would be happy if our teams went 9-3 on a regular basis with a legit run every once in a while to be on the national stage...

I understand your point, and I guess it just sucks because out of all the sports football is the one I live and die for. I guess it is my own fault for choosing to be a fan of a school that is in a conference that concerns itself more with basketball than football. It sucks, because you have teams like Texas, LSU, Florida, UCLA, etc that can pretty much do it all pretty easy in regards with building a football, basketball, baseball program, etc.

#26 chbright

chbright

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:42 AM

it be better than once a decade without OC stinespring at VT. we have been close with nothing more than a defense and special teams alone. the marcus vick years were waisted, even if he was a lowlife punk. those years VT had more than enough tallent to win it, just a dumbass OC.

#27 17+89=6

17+89=6

The Line of Eld

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

Definitely have to say the Big XII is better than the Pac 10. With the likes of Texas and Okie State. Also with Nebraska returning to national prominence, Kansas having a senior leader at QB in Reesing and Missouri appearing not to miss Chase Daniel too much. I don't think the Pac 10 will have much except for USC and Cal in the end.

ACC is definitely the weakest conference, in my opinion. I think it will end up like last year when every 1st place team in the ACC just loses to another ACC team every week.

#28 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:32 AM

I understand your point, and I guess it just sucks because out of all the sports football is the one I live and die for. I guess it is my own fault for choosing to be a fan of a school that is in a conference that concerns itself more with basketball than football. It sucks, because you have teams like Texas, LSU, Florida, UCLA, etc that can pretty much do it all pretty easy in regards with building a football, basketball, baseball program, etc.

All 4 of those schools that you mentioned are huge schools with a HUGE population around them. IMO there are probably 2 schools that are legitimate contenders every year in all 3 major sports. Those two schools are Texas and Florida. Florida didn't become a legit contender in basketball until probably 7 or 8 years ago. UCLA is not a contender for football, LSU is not a contender for basketball. So really...there isn't much to be down about since there are really only 2 schools that do it consistently in all 3 arenas. Cheer up buddy...your team did just win a national title in basketball last year remember?

#29 JMJonesJr

JMJonesJr

52, Number of the Beast

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

All 4 of those schools that you mentioned are huge schools with a HUGE population around them. IMO there are probably 2 schools that are legitimate contenders every year in all 3 major sports. Those two schools are Texas and Florida. Florida didn't become a legit contender in basketball until probably 7 or 8 years ago. UCLA is not a contender for football, LSU is not a contender for basketball. So really...there isn't much to be down about since there are really only 2 schools that do it consistently in all 3 arenas. Cheer up buddy...your team did just win a national title in basketball last year remember?

They weren't a contender in football either until 1990. Their only SEC title prior to that was 1984, and that was vacated.

#30 JMJonesJr

JMJonesJr

52, Number of the Beast

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

I think the main problem for the ACC was the two losses to FCS teams. Those are unacceptable under any circumstances. The VT loss was excusable (you just can't leave a defense out there that long, believe me, i know), State isn't horrible, but they're not good either, and playing the first game of the year in a game just as ugly as this one on national TV doesn't help the perspective of the conference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.