112 replies to this topic

#61 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

You people who are suggesting that the refs are making bad calls on purpose just to get back at the Americans for whatever political reason are out of your rabid minds. It's not because of politics, it's not because it's the USA, it has nothing to do with the placement in the group, nor has it anything to do with FIFA fixing the score to ensure adequate audience for the remainder of the World Cup!

People who are used to watching Soccer (Aside from just the MLS), know that the human element in refereeing sometimes end up making an impact in the outcome of the game. Call it stupid, controversial or lame, whatever. The point is that these types of bad calls are common in soccer across all league, including the English Premier league, Italian Serie A, and the German Bundesliga alike.

The ref bade a HORRIBLE call, but PLEASE stop making it into more than what it was... just another bad call.

/thread

That's no excuse for letting bad calls dictate the outcome of games. They need to make some changes to the system. Sports such as basketball and football (yes, American football; soccer is soccer - I don't care what the rest of the world calls it) are susceptible to this as well, but to a much lesser extent.

#62 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

You people who are suggesting that the refs are making bad calls on purpose just to get back at the Americans for whatever political reason are out of your rabid minds. It's not because of politics, it's not because it's the USA, it has nothing to do with the placement in the group, nor has it anything to do with FIFA fixing the score to ensure adequate audience for the remainder of the World Cup!

People who are used to watching Soccer (Aside from just the MLS), know that the human element in refereeing sometimes end up making an impact in the outcome of the game. Call it stupid, controversial or lame, whatever. The point is that these types of bad calls are common in soccer across all league, including the English Premier league, Italian Serie A, and the German Bundesliga alike.

The ref bade a HORRIBLE call, but PLEASE stop making it into more than what it was... just another bad call.

/thread

Yeah cause the world really loves us

#63 SCMunnerlyn1

SCMunnerlyn1

The Fuhckening has begun

• HUDDLER
  • 5,536 posts
  • LocationValdosta Georgia

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

Yeah cause the world really loves us

case and point!!!! +rep

#64 Catfever

Catfever

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

The ref blew the whistle just as the free kick was taken, far before any indication of any goal was ever made. So saying that the ref was trying to 'rob us' of a goal is a load of poo. Now it may have turned out that way, but to say that was the intention of the ref and FIFA, is just ignorant.

#65 Catfever

Catfever

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

That's no excuse for letting bad calls dictate the outcome of games. They need to make some changes to the system. Sports such as basketball and football (yes, American football; soccer is soccer - I don't care what the rest of the world calls it) are susceptible to this as well, but to a much lesser extent.

I don't dispute that one bit, I agree that leaving EVERYTHING in the ref's hands is too risky and that a system overhaul is long overdue. My point, however, is not that the current system is working, my point is that regardless of how bad of a call it was, calling it intentional in order to 'get back' at Americans is an ignorant statement.

#66 dbeat

dbeat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:17 PM

The ref blew the whistle just as the free kick was taken, far before any indication of any goal was ever made. So saying that the ref was trying to 'rob us' of a goal is a load of poo. Now it may have turned out that way, but to say that was the intention of the ref and FIFA, is just ignorant.

Actually no. The whistle was blown right as the ball hit the back of the net, so whatever penalty he called against us happened far after the initial kick.

And yes the ref did rob us for a number of reasons, the biggest giving no explanation whatsoever to what and why the penalty was even called. Whether the ref called a deliberate penalty or not is not so much the question, but why. How is that not getting robbed? Seriously? Even England fans admit we were screwed.

#67 Catfever

Catfever

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

You're misinterpreting my words. I didn't say were weren't robbed, I said the ref didn't intentionally TRY to rob us. He made a bad call that ended up robbing us of a win. And you're incorrect, next time a reply is shown of the play, listen carefully - the whistle is blown while be ball is still in the air, before any player had touched it.

EDIT: I edit cause I'm too lazy to redo the post. The whistle actually comes RIGHT as the ball makes contact with the forwards foot; not while its in the back of the net, and not while its in the air.

Edited by Catfever, 18 June 2010 - 10:34 PM.

#68 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,953 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

The Call was on Michael Bradley for impeading.......Even though Bradley was being bear-hugged

Source: http://g.sports.yaho....ree061810.html

Coulibaly appeared to rule that American midfielder Michael Bradley had impeded a Slovenian defender, even though video replays showed no infringement.

#69 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,953 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

If you want a view from the refs angle to try and spot a fould watch this vid from .44 seconds on. I could not find any fouls on the U.S. how about you?

Note: Disregard the title the foul/offside's call was not on Edu as previously thought.

Edited by CarolinaPanthers8789, 18 June 2010 - 10:59 PM.

#70 SCMunnerlyn1

SCMunnerlyn1

The Fuhckening has begun

• HUDDLER
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:55 PM

that is no way shape or form an offside .. before the ball was kicked there was a defender standing in front of the goalie the fact the they cant defend the black guy sprinting for the ball is their own fault .. and i rate that ref right along with the gay ref from youtube

#71 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,953 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:58 PM

that is no way shape or form an offside .. before the ball was kicked there was a defender standing in front of the goalie the fact the they cant defend the black guy sprinting for the ball is their own fault .. and i rate that ref right along with the gay ref from youtube

Disregard the title, the actual foul is said to be on Bradley in one my previous posts I put the link in their.

#72 SCMunnerlyn1

SCMunnerlyn1

The Fuhckening has begun

• HUDDLER
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:59 PM

Disregard the title, the actual foul is said to be on Bradley in one my previous posts I put the link in their.

is that the one that looked like he was getting blocked by tony fiametta in front of the goal where the ball flew over the 2 guys heads?

#73 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,953 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:01 PM

is that the one that looked like he was getting blocked by tony fiametta in front of the goal where the ball flew over the 2 guys heads?

Yeah, I think that is the one your talking about haha.

#74 SCMunnerlyn1

SCMunnerlyn1

The Fuhckening has begun

• HUDDLER
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

ahaha that looked like 2 black kids in middle school before they get in a fight shoulder to shoulder xD but in all seriousness he didnt impede that play the other teams guy just couldnt reach the ball without his hands .. thats bad placement .. end of story .. goaallllllll england remains in 3rd ..

#75 dbeat

dbeat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:14 PM

You're misinterpreting my words. I didn't say were weren't robbed, I said the ref didn't intentionally TRY to rob us. He made a bad call that ended up robbing us of a win. And you're incorrect, next time a reply is shown of the play, listen carefully - the whistle is blown while be ball is still in the air, before any player had touched it.

EDIT: I edit cause I'm too lazy to redo the post. The whistle actually comes RIGHT as the ball makes contact with the forwards foot; not while its in the back of the net, and not while its in the air.

How do you know exactly what the refs intentions were? No one knows that except for the ref himself. Not saying he was deliberately trying to screw America over but no one knows what he was thinking except for himself. Everyone in the world right now is trying to figure that out.

And I did listen carefully to the game, I watched it live and replayed it over and over. The ball is in the air towards the back of the net when the whistle is blown. Anyways that doesn't matter so much as the ref calling a foul against the US when the opponents committed 3 flagrant fouls right infront of him.

While I'm not in the camp that believes he meant to screw us over, I do believe he made a monumental mistake, and one that should receive consequences. But how he saw an American foul during that play of countless Slovenian fouls is beyond me. It really makes you wonder what exactly his intentions might have been, or that he was just plain stupid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com