Photo
- - - - -

some might say it's too early, but i would like to take the time to thank...

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Swarly

Swarly

MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

I'm not looking forward to all the "OUR DEFENSE IS GONNA BE AWFUL!" posts when Tennessee inevitably gains 100+ yards against us in the first half

#17 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

I'm not saying that what we see tomorrow will be exactly how our team looks all of next season, but it's not completely useless either.

i agree, too many people are discrediting the pre-season entirely. I've been looking at some figures pretty hard and as a general trend, the teams that are doing well in the pre-season go on to succeed in the regular season.

#18 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

Preseason or not, I will drink to this thread...often times a great defense can be just what the doctor ordered for a struggling offense. Turnovers created, short-field opportunities, all good stuff.

#19 EMSMedic79

EMSMedic79

Member since 2005

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationOn the Water

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

The defense is actually the one thing I am excited about watching tomorrow night. Hopefully Gamble and Marshall will be back in the line up.

#20 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 47,211 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

Old quotes FTW!

#21 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

Makes Lemonade without Lemons, or fruit flavored additives.

Well I kinda messed up the analogy, but you get what I mean. :D

#22 Sword

Sword

Ninja Pirate

• HUDDLER
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

i think they are doing better then you think, considering we don't blitz in the preseason and we are still getting these sacks and run stops, but other teams are blitzing with regularity to get their pressure.

if an offense can stop our base packages what chance do they stand against some gameplannin!

#23 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,642 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

When defending the offensive performance, some have said that we have been facing some of the best defenses, and that is true. But its also true that we haven't been facing the better offenses in the league. Don't get me wrong, I think the defensive performance has been great, but I prefer to see some regular season games before passing judgement.

But if you are going to compliment Meeks, I think Hurney and Fox deserve some credit as well. IMO, we have drafted quite a bit of talent on the defensive side of the ball, and for the most part, its worked out. Beason, Conner, Gamble, Marshall, Munnerlyn, Brown, Johnson, Martin, Godfrey, Anderson etc... all were panther draft picks. Very few free agents on our defense.

#24 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

I HATED that we made him DC.

Because I'm a dipshit, apparently. Guy has been awesome.

I wasn't to thrilled, either. I thought it was an empty move to secure a Super Bowl winning Defensive Coordinator when the defense he commanded seemed a bit average, overall. Now it seems as though his overall philosophy is worth building upon, and he seems to be connecting with the players. The defensive draft picks seem to fit right into his system. That's why I wonder how the Panther's could afford to let this guy go when Fox is widely regarded as being "gone" when the season ends. Is it true that no assistants are under contract after the 2010 season?

Edited by ed bell, 27 August 2010 - 10:29 PM.

#25 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,648 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:14 PM

i agree, too many people are discrediting the pre-season entirely. I've been looking at some figures pretty hard and as a general trend, the teams that are doing well in the pre-season go on to succeed in the regular season.

Probably as much to do with the fact that teams that win in the preseason often have the best backups and depth as the quality of their starters. It makes sense that the teams with the most depth would also do the best in the regular season.

#26 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

• HUDDLER
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:10 PM

Meeks walked into a bad situation with entrenched veterans who weren't giving 100%. He's got a reboot of sorts now, so maybe we can see what he's all about.

#27 Seamonk

Seamonk

kekekekekeke

• HUDDLER
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Va

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:34 AM

With everything that's said about preseason.. why is it that other years our defense has been equally as vanilla yet we've never been able to really appreciate it. A struggling offense may be one reason, but to see a defense go out and dominate and do exactly what it needs to in order to make us hope that it'll be there to bail us out while the offense gains momentum is exactly what we need.

Now.. Special Teams.. *cough* that's another story..

#28 Future Of The Franchise

Future Of The Franchise

The Ambassador of Booty

• HUDDLER
  • 5,764 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:39 AM

special teams is not a story. it's a horror flick.

#29 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

If this team has a top 5 defense by the end of the year I'll be very happy with Meeks.

If this is the #1 defense at the end of the year, I'll buy a Meeks jersey.

#30 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

Considering we finished 8th last year in yards and 9th in points, this shouldn't really be much of a surprise to anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com