32 replies to this topic

#16 Varking

Varking

Enigma

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

I wish they would go to the big game so they can get blown out by a Florida, OSU, Bama or any of the big teams. You are good, maybe great, but not elite if your best win is against VT. Nothing against VT but what have they ever won? They have 1 National Championship appearance, 0 wins. VT will be a 3 loss team this season.

#17 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,402 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

VT is 0-22 vs AP Top 5 teams. OFER

#18 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,332 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

I wish they would go to the big game so they can get blown out by a Florida, OSU, Bama or any of the big teams. You are good, maybe great, but not elite if your best win is against VT. Nothing against VT but what have they ever won? They have 1 National Championship appearance, 0 wins. VT will be a 3 loss team this season.

Right but without a playoff we have to do these mental gymnastics to justify our position.

For all we know Va tech is the second best team in the country this year and boise won the greatest game of the season. But we surmise this and that and who the hell knows.

With the power conferences you have 5 or 6 really good teams. And one of those, even if it just a bunch of coin flips, will end up with 1 loss playing in the title game.

It would be much more fair to have 16 teams in a playoff. Or at least 8. Boise will be in the top 16 even with 1 loss in a weak conference for sure and they can then win 4 games and there is no doubt who the national champion is.

Damnit i hate the BCS

#19 Varking

Varking

Enigma

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

I have always been a fan of the +1 since they started talking about it. If Bama and OSU finish undefeated, they are going to play each other. If Boise State also finishes undefeated, they get to play in the runner up game against a team like Florida for example. If they remained undefeated, they should play the team who won the NC game. Winner would be last undefeated team and unquestioned National Champion. Best of all, all the Bowl Games remain in tact so none of the sponsors need to get their panties in a wad. They all still make their money.

#20 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:21 PM

Bama will lose to one of these....UF, LSU, Ark, Aub.

Does anyone remember the BYU national title?

#21 weyco2000

weyco2000

• HUDDLER
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:21 AM

Yeah, the Gators looked great, OSU gets the "poop" (LOL) kicked out of them in bowl games and Alabama will lose a game. My point, BCS sucks and I hope to god Boise St. and TCU play for a title. Give Boise St. credit and VA. Tech as well!

Edited by weyco2000, 08 September 2010 - 05:24 AM.

#22 weyco2000

weyco2000

• HUDDLER
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:35 AM

I really don't understand the hate for Boise St.? Just think of what they go thru in recruiting, in Idaho you got to go wayyyyy out of state. Thats why I like them and hope they go all the way! Time for a playoff!!!

#23 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

I really don't understand the hate for Boise St.? Just think of what they go thru in recruiting, in Idaho you got to go wayyyyy out of state. Thats why I like them and hope they go all the way! Time for a playoff!!!

No one "hates" Boise. What most people hate is the fact that big teams have to struggle through tough schedules and opponents while Boise State gets to play 1 or 2 mediocre teams before walking through their Division 2-esque conference games. Boise State is a good team, but they would lose multiple games in the SEC or Big XII or Pac 10 or Big 10. They would certainly be competitive, but not worthy of a National Championship.

And their recruiting is far easier than any of their conference opponents.

#24 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

No one "hates" Boise. What most people hate is the fact that big teams have to struggle through tough schedules and opponents while Boise State gets to play 1 or 2 mediocre teams before walking through their Division 2-esque conference games. Boise State is a good team, but they would lose multiple games in the SEC or Big XII or Pac 10 or Big 10. They would certainly be competitive, but not worthy of a National Championship.

And their recruiting is far easier than any of their conference opponents.

You can't blame Boise for the fact that the conference they are in hasn't made any progress while they have dominated it. They've been scheduling tough non-conference games for the past few years and finally jumped at the opportunity to leave and go to the MWC. You can't fault them for at least trying to take the next step to a possible NC game.

#25 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:18 AM

You can't blame Boise for the fact that the conference they are in hasn't made any progress while they have dominated it. They've been scheduling tough non-conference games for the past few years and finally jumped at the opportunity to leave and go to the MWC. You can't fault them for at least trying to take the next step to a possible NC game.

The "you can't blame them" argument is absurd. Blame is absolutely irrelevant to the facts. They play an easier schedule. I don't care who's doing it is, they have an unfair advantage. You can't blame BCS schools for playing in a tougher conference.

The are going to the MWC. Not exactly a difficult conference either. Maybe a bit more, but still a walk through for the most part. I feel for Boise, I really do. But the fact is they have an unfair advantage. I don't care who's fault it is.

#26 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:34 AM

The "you can't blame them" argument is absurd. Blame is absolutely irrelevant to the facts. They play an easier schedule. I don't care who's doing it is, they have an unfair advantage. You can't blame BCS schools for playing in a tougher conference.

The are going to the MWC. Not exactly a difficult conference either. Maybe a bit more, but still a walk through for the most part. I feel for Boise, I really do. But the fact is they have an unfair advantage. I don't care who's fault it is.

In 1984 BYU won the national title by beating a totally average Michigan team by six points in their bowl game. Four or five other teams had beaten Michigan by worse scores that year.

The strength of schedule argument IS the argument when there is no playoff.

#27 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:36 AM

I agree.

#28 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:38 AM

I agree.

She's still mine. (growls)

#29 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:50 AM

She's still mine. (growls)

Never! :mad:

#30 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

In 1984 BYU won the national title by beating a totally average Michigan team by six points in their bowl game. Four or five other teams had beaten Michigan by worse scores that year.

The strength of schedule argument IS the argument when there is no playoff.

The idea that the BCS is a "playoff" becomes flawed when the team that is undefeated gets left out of the NC in favor of a team with one, or in the case of LSU 07, two losses.

I agree that Boise's schedule is not nearly on par with that of the typical BCS conferences. However, they have gone undefeated twice now over the span of four years including two wins in BCS bowl games. Now they have a pre-season Top 5 ranking and just beat 10th ranked Va Tech at a "neutral" site with a partial VT crowd. They've proven they can play with the "big boys," so why not let them try for a NC?

I question whether or not non-AQ teams truly have a shot at the national championship in this system. Given their body of work and the "BCS-busting" they have done over the years, if Boise is the only team in the country to go undefeated when all is said and done and they are still left out, the answer to that question is a resounding "no."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com