Photo
- - - - -

Would you rather...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

See Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart rack up 300 yards rushing...
OR Matt Moore rack up 300 yards passing...

And still lose the game?

#2 Black

Black

Don't Make Me Get Money and Platinumize My Body

• HUDDLER
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:50 AM

If you rush for 300 yards, you aren't losing.

But if we had to pick one of those options and still lose, I'd rather see Moore have a monster game, so teams have to game plan for him a lot more in the future.

#3 boo7382

boo7382

• HUDDLER
  • 10,611 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:57 AM

See Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart rack up 300 yards rushing...
OR Matt Moore rack up 300 yards passing...

And still lose the game?

Neither. I wanna win the game.
But if I had to choose. Matt Moore just b/c we already know DWill and Jstew can dominate.

and hopefully those 300 yds would be split btween tight ends, steve smith, and a number 2 receiver.

#4 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:57 AM

Definitely would rather see Matt have a huge game and lose than us have 300+ rushing yards and lose. If we lose with 300+ rushing yards something has gone horribly wrong.

#5 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,047 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:02 AM

Stupid question in my opinion. All that matters is winning. I would rather that we had 0 total offensive yards and scored on a safety and won 2-0 than lost even if we racked 1000 offensive yards.

If we lose it doesn't really matter how many offensive yards we got or who got them. We still lost and it will have no bearing on how we do the next game. It isn't like passing for 300 yards against New York will help us against Tampa in any way.

#6 capfolly

capfolly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

If we have those stats and lose then the defense has alot of work to do and there preseason was just a fluke.

#7 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

Stupid question in my opinion. All that matters is winning. I would rather that we had 0 total offensive yards and scored on a safety and won 2-0 than lost even if we racked 1000 offensive yards.

If we lose it doesn't really matter how many offensive yards we got or who got them. We still lost and it will have no bearing on how we do the next game. It isn't like passing for 300 yards against New York will help us against Tampa in any way.

The whole point of this thread is just the question....of course we'd rather have -48 yards and win 2-0. But it's just a question...

#8 bigdog10

bigdog10

• HUDDLER
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:23 AM

Stupid response in my opinion. Your crazy if you don't think what the panthers do against the Giants will have any bearing on the next game against Tampa. Tampa will watch the tape and have to adjust to what the panthers show against the giants, and if Moore were to rack up 300 yards passing while looking poised and accurate, that just makes Tampa's job that much tougher to stop our offense in the following week. Tampa, of all teams, know what double trouble is capable of.

#9 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:23 AM

If you rush for 300 yards, you aren't losing.

But if we had to pick one of those options and still lose, I'd rather see Moore have a monster game, so teams have to game plan for him a lot more in the future.

This

#10 JungleCat

JungleCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:24 AM

If it's just about stats, I'd rather the RBs get the yards.

#11 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

If we had to lose I would pick Moore throwing for 300 because that means somebody besides Smith stepped up (probably Barnidge) and is a good sign for weeks to come.

#12 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,047 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

Stupid response in my opinion. Your crazy if you don't think what the panthers do against the Giants will have any bearing on the next game against Tampa. Tampa will watch the tape and have to adjust to what the panthers show against the giants, and if Moore were to rack up 300 yards passing while looking poised and accurate, that just makes Tampa's job that much tougher to stop our offense in the following week. Tampa, of all teams, know what double trouble is capable of.

Of course teams look at film from other games. But we could score 50 points against the Giants and 5 against tampa because their team isn't the same at all. What we gameplan and run against the Giants could be different than what we run against Tampa. Sure we will run but for example when we played Minnesota last year we threw for 300 yards and ran for 100 and then the next week against New York we threw for 170 and ran for 250. Two completely different strategies for 2 completely different defenses.

What they watch film for is to see how we line up. What formations and variations we use, whether there are any tells by the quarterback and so on.

Teams gameplan based on what personnel they have and how they match up with ours. For example if the Giants have great receivers and make circus catches, Tampa can't do the same if they have different personnel and instead have a great tight end but poor receivers.

So no, each game is a completely different chessmatch and have little bearing on the next. Your point is like an apple and orange argument. It only relates to what I am talking about very tangentially.

Edited by panthers55, 10 September 2010 - 10:13 AM.

#13 Clicheking

Clicheking

Mack of the year

• HUDDLER
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

I'd rather have them get 150 each and win.

If I had to choose I would go with the passing. It would signal were more of a complete offense then previously thought.

#14 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,047 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

The whole point of this thread is just the question....of course we'd rather have -48 yards and win 2-0. But it's just a question...

But the assumption you make is that if we throw or run well then it is a sign that our offense is back or that it will be a harbinger of good things to come. And as I said in a prior post, that may or may not be true. The Giants gave up 300 yards in the air and 100 yards on the ground in the preseason. So if we throw for 250 we shouldn't be exactly congratulating ourselves. On the other hand if we run for 300 it might mean alot more. On the other hand if they load 9 in the box and Moore consistently beats them, then it could be a good sign if he only throws for 250 yards and we only run for 150. In the end scoring 24 points no matter how we do it would make me feel much better than all the yards we gather.

My point is that simplistic questions like that hardly account for the complexities in a game nor do they tell you much until you have several games upon which to evaluate. Hence my point in a few other threads that we will know where we stand by the bye week.

#15 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

I am dumbfounded. I don't want to think about how I want my team to lose.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com