Photo
- - - - -

OK ENOUGH. Can't we just be realistic about Jimmy Clausen?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 PantherFanForLife

PantherFanForLife

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:10 PM

First off I'm not a Clausen hater or a Matt lover. I felt Matt got benched early and got too much put on him, while Jimmy was overhyped but that's it. I want both guys to get their shots and in the end the guy that truly plays better to win out.

But here are the facts though. In two games, both of these guys have been on pretty much an even level as far as performance.

Matt looked more shaky in the pocket, and made some bad decisions, but overall was a better game manager, looked more accurate than Clausen did today, and did a better job finding guys in the middle of the field.

Clausen looks more comfortable in the pocket, can get the ball off quicker and has better mobility but his throws looked off today, he seemed to have trouble finding open guys in the middle of the field and his leadership and game management skills were poor. Made a bunch of rookie mistakes but I liked him throwing away the ball.

Having said that, NEITHER of these guys deserve the title FUTURE OF THE FRANCHISE.

Jimmy has the excuse of being a rookie. Matt does not. But Matt's not a veteran either. And he did get us some first downs with his feet. Something Jimmy tried to but could not. Jimmy just did not look sharp today.

I say overall, as far as a leader and game manager, Matt looked better(Again he should have never been benched but that's in the past). Jimmy should deffinitley get another chance next week.

Just please stop telling me how he's the future of the franchise when he was way over-hyped with an unproven record last week, and after this performance, his stock actually went DOWN, not up.

Face it. He has YET to prove himself.

#2 Swan

Swan

Executive

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

Amen brotha

#3 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • 2,347 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

Naturally, it's going to take a rookie time to adjust. Face it, the season is already a bust. Keep playing Jimmy and he'll improve. Josh Freeman is a prime example of a QB that improved himself by learning on the front lines.

#4 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• HUDDLER
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

Realistic. Ok.

Clausen's floor is Moore's ceiling. Moore is fuging terrible, so that's damning with faint praise, but still.

#5 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

The Beast Lurks Once More

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

Funny how your definition of realistic is consistently different from everyone elses

Posted Image

#6 Clawsome2

Clawsome2

The Man/Myth/Legend

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Somebody bought a MATT MOORE jersey and is sad he can't wear it....

SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A BEASON JERSEY

#7 PantherFanForLife

PantherFanForLife

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,058 posts

Realistic. Ok.

Clausen's floor is Moore's ceiling. Moore is f**king terrible, so that's damning with faint praise, but still.

Fact: you DON'T KNOW that. Can you honestly say you have seen Matt's ceiling? Jimmy has the POTENTIAL for that, but it's just POTENTIAL not a fact.

#8 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

His stock went up this week. Once he settled down we started moving the football. Fox put him in a very difficult situation and he handled it well. For his first start in the NFL it was quite impressive. He's only going to improve from here.

He's a marked improvement on Moore.

#9 PantherFanForLife

PantherFanForLife

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:16 PM

Funny how your definition of realistic is consistently different from everyone elses

Whatever man. Everyone on this board knows you are the LEADER of the Clausen cheerleaders.

#10 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

I am curious how you think Moore looked more accurate, when Moore was 20/49 and Clausen has been 23/48 ... if anything they looked equally poor, though Clausen really turned it around in the second half in terms of completion percentage.

I don't see how you think Clausen's stock went down. He started a game, he looked jittery, he played terrible. He went in at half time, made adjustments, and had like 180 yards, lead one TD drive and probably would have at least put up several field goals if not for needing to go for TDs. The offense looked way better in the 2nd half. Perhaps it was not Clausen, but I think the throws for first down helped a lot.

As to Moore being a better game manager... I really don't agree at all. Moore looked better at getting Smitty the ball, which is a major part of the offense. That's it. His red zone turnovers, and repeated turnovers last week, really mean he is NOT a good game manager in my eyes.

You're right, though, it is way too early to say Clausen is the "future of the franchise." However, I think he has WAY more upside than Moore. Perhaps they are currently fairly even, but isn't that saying something about Moore considering Clausen just made his first start, and has played in only 5 quarters of football play? Moore may have limited starts, but remember, he DID play in a bunch of games and has been in this system forever.

Moore is a great backup, and I think that is where he should stay. Clausen should start for the rest of the season barring something terrible.

#11 Jpjr

Jpjr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

Guys, Sam Bradford threw 3 picks his first regular season start... and that's after playing the entire preseason more or less with the starters.

Clausen had a rookie performance overall today, but we saw undisputed progress. He got better as the game went on and was a lot better in the second half.

He needs to fix the snap thing, but that was clearly - upon slow mo review - a cadence issue where he was expecting the snap sooner than he got it. You won't see that next week if Jimmy gets more reps with the starters.

I say give Jimmy another week. If he doesn't keep improving, all bets are off.

#12 PantherFanForLife

PantherFanForLife

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:20 PM

I am curious how you think Moore looked more accurate, when Moore was 20/49 and Clausen has been 23/48 ... if anything they looked equally poor, though Clausen really turned it around in the second half in terms of completion percentage.

I don't see how you think Clausen's stock went down. He started a game, he looked jittery, he played terrible. He went in at half time, made adjustments, and had like 180 yards, lead one TD drive and probably would have at least put up several field goals if not for needing to go for TDs. The offense looked way better in the 2nd half. Perhaps it was not Clausen, but I think the throws for first down helped a lot.

As to Moore being a better game manager... I really don't agree at all. Moore looked better at getting Smitty the ball, which is a major part of the offense. That's it. His red zone turnovers, and repeated turnovers last week, really mean he is NOT a good game manager in my eyes.

You're right, though, it is way too early to say Clausen is the "future of the franchise." However, I think he has WAY more upside than Moore. Perhaps they are currently fairly even, but isn't that saying something about Moore considering Clausen just made his first start, and has played in only 5 quarters of football play? Moore may have limited starts, but remember, he DID play in a bunch of games and has been in this system forever.

Moore is a great backup, and I think that is where he should stay. Clausen should start for the rest of the season barring something terrible.

First off that's not exactly a huge difference in passing numbers. And second....the actual passes themselves. Matt's passes when he did make them, looked a lot more decisive and accurate. Jimmy's looked eratic today.

And second, the reason his stock went down is Jimmy played BETTER last week than this week.

#13 trucpfan

trucpfan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

Somebody bought a MATT MOORE jersey and is sad he can't wear it....

SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A BEASON JERSEY

Oh yeah

Posted Image

Real funny

Realistic. Ok.

Clausen's floor is Moore's ceiling. Moore is f**king terrible, so that's damning with faint praise, but still.

EASILY

Amen brotha

What church do you attend rev bishop Eddie long hahaha I know that was wrong but its a joke...

Edited by trucpfan, 26 September 2010 - 04:30 PM.

#14 PantherFanForLife

PantherFanForLife

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

Guys, Sam Bradford threw 3 picks his first regular season start... and that's after playing the entire preseason more or less with the starters.

Clausen had a rookie performance overall today, but we saw undisputed progress. He got better as the game went on and was a lot better in the second half.

He needs to fix the snap thing, but that was clearly - upon slow mo review - a cadence issue where he was expecting the snap sooner than he got it. You won't see that next week if Jimmy gets more reps with the starters.

I say give Jimmy another week. If he doesn't keep improving, all bets are off.

I agree. Give the kid another shot. Just stop telling me he's the future of the franchise or a HUGE improvement over Matt.

Wait till you have something to back it up with. (and i'm not addressing this at you personally)

#15 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

First off that's not exactly a huge difference in passing numbers. And second....the actual passes themselves. Matt's passes when he did make them, looked a lot more decisive and accurate. Jimmy's looked eratic today.

And second, the reason his stock went down is Jimmy played BETTER last week than this week.

You mean when Moore overthrew three surefire touchdowns? edit: admittedly many of 'em weren't 100% on him, but yeah.

Again, you said Moore looked MORE accurate, not equally. The worst you can say about Clausen today is that he wasn't more accurate than Moore was really... but if you look at his second half, it really changes all that.

Sure, he played better last week than he did in his first half. Ok, so he played 1 good quarter, then 2 bad quarters, then 2 good quarters. Can we agree on that? I really think that Clausen looked far better in the second half than he has all season so far (including the preseason).

Edited by mav1234, 26 September 2010 - 04:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.