Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unicar15

Missouri Fans perspective on Gabbert

146 posts in this topic

There isn't a single player that I feel is worth the #1 overall pick. No matter the pick it's gonna be a bit of a reach.

I've accepted that fact. So regardless whom they pick, I'll just have to hope that the player develops, and has the impact thatthey expect. Qb, wr,dt,de....doesn't matter.

Rayzor is right about this, a great percentage of the players who shoot up the draft board due to their combine numbers and pro day performance struggle to actually play football.

Guys like Matt Jones and Fabian Washington as prime examples....being good at track makes you no more of a football player than being good at putt-putt makes you a golfer.

I'd rather watch the guy play the game and evaluate that.

Eh I don't like him but he def is popular with the Newton haters.

So was Adam Morrison how that work out?

That has to be the worst argument ive ever heard.

the thing is, Gabbert hasn't shot up because of his combine etc. He's already very high up. Combine will only solidify if he is a great pick or not, the same way it will do with some of the other top prospects out there right now, like Green, Fairley, etc.

That has to be the worst argument ive ever heard.

How both highly rated player that came on that last year in school.

Morrison wasn't rated in the top 20 until his senior season then became a top 5 pick. Same as Gabbert. Why is it such a bad argument.

Morrison wasn't rated in the top 20 until his senior season then became a top 5 pick. Same as Gabbert. Why is it such a bad argument.

...Have you looked at Gabbert's stats at all through his career? I don't expect you to know his history or know much about him, but if you're going to compare him to someone you should at least look into him a bit. He isn't a one year wonder by any definition of the word and he isn't a senior who only had one good season... he isn't even a senior.

Gabbert has been a highly touted player since he was a recruit coming into the Big 12 from high school. Last year he was one of the top underclassmen, just like this year, and he had a good year last year, too.

...Have you looked at Gabbert's stats at all through his career? I don't expect you to know his history or know much about him, but if you're going to compare him to someone you should at least look into him a bit. He isn't a one year wonder by any definition of the word and he isn't a senior who only had one good season... he isn't even a senior.

Gabbert has been a highly touted player since he was a recruit coming into the Big 12 from high school. Last year he was one of the top underclassmen, just like this year, and he had a good year last year, too.

Mav I usely agree with you but before Mcshay. Show me what other scouting services had him at last year.

I am not totally against the Panthers getting Gabbert in the draft.

I just don't see them doing it.

Mav I usely agree with you but before Mcshay. Show me what other scouting services had him at last year.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1818

He was one of the top recruits in 2008. That at least shows that he didn't just come out of nowhere, but obviously that doesn't predict his pro potential in the least.

In 2009 he threw for 3600 yards and 24 TDs. He won some Big 12 offensive awards. He's no one-year wonder; last year, in his first year starting, he put up awesome numbers despite an injury. This year he built on that success and worked on his technique and mechanics, which is probably why his stock climbed quite a bit as the season went on.

I can't find anything old enough to show you where he was ranked last year, but he was on a few people's radars especially if they were looking at rating underclassmen quarterbacks. Quite a few quarterback rankings say "since Gabbert isn't coming out I didn't bother looking into him." He wasn't even on a mock as far as I could tell, nobody thought he'd come out.

As the season went along, he gained some notoriety among QB junkies and Big 12 fans because he really started the season strong. When Missouri started out the season undefeated (they went 7-0 until they hit Nebraska) I heard him talked about some on ESPN. My dad is a Mizzou alumni so I look out for them on occasion, but I had no idea he was even contemplating coming out. Nobody was expecting him to come out this year as far as I can tell but he received a top 20 review by the group that gives out evals to potential draft picks I heard. No idea how true that is but yeah.

So, to answer your question, I can't find you a direct link to what scouts thought of him heading into this season. Nobody expected him to declare this year so he wasn't getting the same level of ranking and rating. But to say nobody had heard of him isn't true, just as it is not true at all that he was a one year wonder.

I am not totally against the Panthers getting Gabbert in the draft.

I just don't see them doing it.

I can't imagine us taking him, either. I don't know that he's worth the #1 (though if he is worth a #3 he is), but I don't know how sold the FO is on giving Clausen time (which is a legitimate question)... and there are other good prospects there that also address needs.

1 person likes this

Some of you people are going to be real butt hurt when he is drafted in the 3rd round and not by us.

First of all Gabbert is not in his senior season, he is a JUNIOR, secondly you cant compare football to basketball. NBA drafts players on pure potential only, they dont have to have great stats to be drafted high ie: Ed Davis

Next time you want to argue make a good argument and do some research, thanks

1 person likes this