Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So hypothetically speaking

95 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

if they think that newton is the guy that they want to be the face of the franchise and lead this offense for years, then clausen becomes a footnote immediately.

imo, we need to toss out this idea of a stop gap into the trash. it doesn't help this team get any closer to finding their franchise QB. i don't have a problem with vets coming in as long as they are brought in to compete for the full time job. that rules out any guys over 30.

this year should be an audition one way or the other for the full time job. unless we get bold and draft newton, we will have clausen penciled in as the starter. hopefully the other guys on the roster will be young guys competing with him for the job. if they beat him out in TC and preseason, so be it. he will have let his chance slip away.

we don't need to waste time with some guy who has no future with the team or in the league starting games for us. we need to be proactive and aggressive in getting the franchise guy in here.

imo, using the stop gap formula is too close to the old fox way of doing things that we are trying to get away from. it's time to move forward.

Posted · Report post

Our fanbase has Stockholm syndrome.
thats a good way of putting it. many fans have taken on the identity of the fox era. in time they will get away from it, but it will take time.

too much passivity and risk aversion in here. total lack of balls. once they've gotten used to rivera's aggressive nature, we'll start to have more fans that are bold. for years we have just been led by a coaching staff that apologizes for being too aggressive.

i'm so glad thats changing.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

thats a good way of putting it. many fans have taken on the identity of the fox era. in time they will get away from it, but it will take time.

too much passivity and risk aversion in here. total lack of balls. once they've gotten used to rivera's aggressive nature, we'll start to have more fans that are bold. for years we have just been led by a coaching staff that apologizes for being too aggressive.

Amen. I'll also add a lot of these fans didnt become fans UNTIL the Fox era, so its all they know.

Posted · Report post

if they think that newton is the guy that they want to be the face of the franchise and lead this offense for years, then clausen becomes a footnote immediately.

imo, we need to toss out this idea of a stop gap into the trash. it doesn't help this team get any closer to finding their franchise QB. i don't have a problem with vets coming in as long as they are brought in to compete for the full time job. that rules out any guys over 30.

this year should be an audition one way or the other for the full time job. unless we get bold and draft newton, we will have clausen penciled in as the starter. hopefully the other guys on the roster will be young guys competing with him for the job. if they beat him out in TC and preseason, so be it. he will have let his chance slip away.

we don't need to waste time with some guy who has no future with the team or in the league starting games for us. we need to be proactive and aggressive in getting the franchise guy in here.

imo, using the stop gap formula is too close to the old fox way of doing things that we are trying to get away from. it's time to move forward.

The stop gap just puts off what is inevitable. It stalls the future of the franchise in order for short term gain. The only problem is it RARELY works even in the short term so it is self defeating.

This is especially true at the QB position.

Posted · Report post

What fanbase in America thinks that having two good QB's is a bad thing? Only us.

People were complaining about drafting two first round RB's too, but Williams and Stewart have been pretty damn good for us, and now almost every team in the league has two or more top of the line RB's.

Additional depth at one spot at the expense of another spot that has just as much need isn't a positive.

Posted · Report post

I guarantee you one way to get me on his bandwagon: get him drafted by us.

That's pretty much what it'd take for me too.

I think it'd be a big mistake to draft Newton, but if they do it I'll support that decision and hope for the best.

Personally don't think it's gonna happen though. And if it doesn't, I expect a full scale nuclear meltdown from the bandwagon.

For the record, anyone who screams that not drafting Newton proves we don't want to win will show himself to be a complete and total idiot. But I'm sure even knowing that ahead of time won't stop people from screaming it.

Posted · Report post

What's funny is they reverse the logic for Fairley.

I only wanted Luck, once in a decade type talent, sure, we need a QB but no one else is worth a first.

It isn't fair to compare Fairley with Suh! Suh was a once a decade type player! We NEED a DT and Fairley is RIGHT THERE!

But Fairley isn't a once in a decade type of player. You know who is? Green and Peterson. I started this thread to begin a discussion. Truth be told, those are my favorites right now (Peterson and Green). I see them as rare specimens and to top it off safe picks. Fairley not so much.

One example I'll give which admittedly I'm a bit bias towards is Allen Bailey. He might fall into the top of the 3rd and he had 7.5 sacks his junior year playing DT. Not to mention he is extremely raw. I believe you give him some time and teach him the ropes and his ceiling is as good as Fairley. I think Fairley has topped off.

P.S. the draft is a crapshoot so it's all moot.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

What I like about Newton is this: he's got the same physical skills Vince Young does (probably even better) but he doesn't have the same attitude. Ever see a VY interview? The guy's an idiot. He sounds like he never took an english class in school. Not only is he a jackass who thinks he's entitled to everything, but he just doesn't seem capable of handling the mental aspect of the NFL. The same was true of JaMarcus Russell, only he was ALSO lazy as hell.

Go watch a few of Cam's interviews. The guy is obviously not Vince Young. He's certainly not JaMarcus Russell. He comes off like a very intelligent guy and also very humble. There are zero work ethic concerns with him, so there go the JaMarcus comparisons.

Imagine having a guy with THAT kind of ability that actually also has a good head on his shoulders too. He's a more talented Josh Freeman. Is he raw? Sure. If we take Newton he needs to sit for a full year before seeing the field. Get Shula to work with him constantly, but don't put him in the same situation Clausen was put in where he's one injury away from being the starter. Sign a veteran stop-gap in case Clausen falters and make Cam emergency 3rd string.

But I really do believe that if he's given a year or so to sit and learn the NFL game this guy could be an absolute MONSTER the likes of which the NFL has never seen. His athletic skillset is absolutely INSANE. I can't imagine he's not being seriously considered by Hurney/Rivera/Morrison as badly as we need a QB.

What has Jerry constantly said he wants to bring on offense? Excitement. Don't tell me Cam Newton isn't under consideration; he's by FAR the most exciting player in this draft AND at a position of need. We may never find ourselves in this position again - at least not anytime soon - and we'll win enough games next year to keep us out of the top-5. That means it's going to cost us some serious picks to move up and take our QB.

Why not just do it now? It's not like any of the other players are THAT good that you can justify passing over a freakishly talented QB prospect like Newton, even if he is a bit of a project.

Posted · Report post

I unfortunately agree with the above poster. Richardson wants excitement on offense and Newton can bring that. I don't think we'll turn into the Raiders and we'll still be smart about this. Most likely taking the BPA.

Honestly, how many times are we going to be in this position? Look at the excitement Vick brought to ATL. I'm sure JR wouldn't mind that in Charlotte. I wouldn't doubt Hurney having Cam #1 on his draft board. Though I see it more like "give me a good deal for this pick and I'd gladly trade down or I'd gladly take Newton if it's not enough" type of ordeal. Although they are normally reserved and conservative...I would not find it out of their realm to try to make splash and revitalize this fanbase.

Posted · Report post

I really do believe that Newton will do so well in his workout(s) and interviews that he may just be considered the BPA by the time the draft comes around.

Posted · Report post

I agree with this 100%. We have to go out and be aggressive. Some do not want us to swing for the fences... So what if we don't get it and strike out, atleast we went out swinging and now playing conservative. Others want us not to swing for the fences and maybe get struck out looking, or make a little contact hit to just get us on 1st base!!!

High risk high rewards.... Sometimes we need to take a risk to get above... It's not always a safe conservative way to get to the top.

Posted · Report post

Additional depth at one spot at the expense of another spot that has just as much need isn't a positive.

Mr. Scot, did you not see that the Panthers had the worst offense in the entire NFL last year? Did you not see that we only scored about 12 points per game? The posibility of having two good QB's should be like heaven to every single one of us. Who cares about the other positions if you don't have a good player at the most important position on the field? You can find good DT's in every draft and every year in free agency, but nobody is going to let their franchise QB go on the open market, and there is no guarantee that the best QB will be available to us in the next draft.

• Latest Articles

• Recent Comments