Photo
- - - - -

hey fiz, tell us your opinon, what just happened to the team i follow?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

and by retarded gay baby, I mean ninety-nine percent of this board. Yes, I am making an entirely new thread for my specific opinion, but only because all of the other threads on this messageboard are terrible and yes what I think deserves its own attention.

If you feel that's unfair, then

Fiz what the fug just happened?

Nothing you shouldn't have expected.

Hurney is a prideful guy, and everyone he resigned over the past week was his own guy. Anderson, Davis, DeAngelo, and Johnson are all testaments to his drafting prowess, and he wasn't going to let them just walk.

This is nothing new. Deshaun Foster was given a ridiculous contract for no reason whatsoever shortly before the team drafted DeAngelo Williams. Chris Gamble was made the 2nd highest paid corner in the NFL during the 2008 season. Gross was made the 2nd highest paid tackle after the 2008 season.

Honestly, the only FA Hurney draft pick they lost was Witherspoon. peppers is a special case and doesn't count. Hurney loves his own players and will always overpay to keep them, which brings me to my second meandering point...

This is Hurney's Team

Make no mistake about that. He might not own it, and he might not coach it, but he is in control of every single thing that goes on for this team. The last two (I think probably four) drafts have been all him, he hired Rivera and his staff, and he's the final mouth before Richardson agrees.

Hurney has an interesting past. He was a beat writer for the Washington Redskins before he was a football professional, and that experience has clearly shaped him. He's always wanted his team to simulate those old early nineties skins teams.

But as often is the case, Pride goeth before the fall. Hurney is a very confident individual (as you have to be in this industry) and always rolls double on his own judgement. This is where the Clausen draft and Delhomme contract come in to play. Also his proclivity towards trading draft picks to get the player he wants.

hurney takes an interesting view to cap space and draft picks. I feel they're identical in his mind. Both are simply currency to improve his team, and he doesn't necessarily need first round picks because he's so skilled at drafting in later rounds. Or at least he thinks. If he can upgrade his team by trading a first, fug it, I'll get a starter in the third because I'm god damn fuging marty Hurney and that's the poo I do. fug you nigga

on the one hand, his gambles backfire horrifically sometimes. On the other, he can find starters anywhere. which brings me to the contract extensions....

Charles Johnson? What the fug that's like the most common name ever

Johnson was arguably the best 4-3 DE in the league last year. I don't put much stock into those numbers because a lot of them are from PFF and I don't like them too much but it's clear that Johnson is a player on the rise and young. Some other team would have broken the bank for him (Not Atlanta, they were going to try to lowball him) and Hurney nipped that in the bud.

don't worry about the actual contract numbers. They mean practically nothing in today's NFL. without having seen the contract, I doubt it's more than a 3 year deal. Hurney is a cap genius and I doubt this is any different.

But the Linebackers not named Beason? Shhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt

Anderson is a massively productive linebacker. He's not world breaking, he's not going to blow anyone's mind, but he's not going to miss any tackles. Davis was maybe the best WLB in the NFL before he went down in 2009. More importantly, both of these guys are Hurney draft picks, and if ANYONE knows how good they actually are, it's Marty.

Once again, don't worry about the money. It's completely negotiable and neither of these guys will see the end of it. Oh wait there's another linebacker

Beason got a lot of money so I've heard

Once again, numbers mean nothing, every contract for marquee players will be the biggest ever (thanks inflationary fiat currency and salary cap tied to league revenue!) and Beason is at worst the third at his position.

He's also going to retire as the greatest player in franchise history so stop being a *** and just embrace it.

Hey who is Ron Edwards?

A very useful NT who Chiefs fans were sad to see let go. A coup for the Panthers. Will start day one assuming he doesn't kemoeatu his achilles running warm ups.

Fits the MO for Hurney DT signings perfectly.

Holy poo a 3rd rounder for a white tight end?

The Panthers have been designing their offense for Cam Newton/Andrew Luck since they fired John Fox. They needed a sure handed, quick, offensive threat in the middle of the field.

this is entirely speculation but I think one of the major things that got Fox fired is that he went to far away from what Hurney wanted. Fox wanted his same old poo that I don't think I need to go in to. The second he was gone, the Panthers entire offensive strategy changed. Hiring Chud was a major move, and the addition of not one but two tight ends should signal that to anyone that's followed the Panthers since 2002.

It's also the reason I think Cam is a sure fire bet to start game one. The Panthers hired an O coordinator who takes advantage of play action and deep passes. We've signed two Tight Ends he's worked with in the past, and drafted a QB who's the biggest threat on his feet since Vick with arguably a bigger arm. Do you think these things are coincidences? With Smith and Gettis the Panthers could already stretch the field. With their running backs they could punish inside. Now they have the tight ends to move over the middle and the QB with the arm to get it deep and keep a play alive.

None of this is a coincidence.

What's the deal with Rosenhaus

Again, this is pure speculation, but I think there's something between Hurney and Rosenhaus. I'm not sure what exactly, but I think they have a wink wink nod nod "prid pro quo" in which the Panthers will overpay his clients (list of clients) so they get preferential treatment. The entire Olsen thing was bizarre, with him reportedly sending a league wide text announcing the player was available for trade, then quickly renouncing it.

Well I can't imagine the Bears were too angry about that text since they then proceeded to trade him. It's a little tin foil hattish but I bet Hurney called him, told him to rescind the text, then let the bears deal only with the Panthers, perhaps involving another rosenhaus client in Dan Connor.

but that's just speculation on my part.

but what about the season?

do you think Cam can do this year what Roethlisberger did his rookie year? Then feel good about the year.

I'll answer questions

Posted Image

Edited by Kurb, 31 July 2011 - 10:29 PM.

#2 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

All hail teh Fiz

#3 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,614 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

Is it true you are part of the mafia ?

#4 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

"retarded gay baby"

Hey, I resemble that remark!

#5 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,099 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

Fantastic write up Fiz.

You are my favorite poster. And, I am serious.

#6 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

Is it true you are part of the mafia ?

I ain't saying poo

Posted Image

#7 Jangler

Jangler

that funky feeling to get you through

• HUDDLER
  • 47,836 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

this optimism is killing me

#8 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,475 posts

Future #Mafia leader, Teh Fiz.

#9 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

The wire ftw!!!

#10 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,852 posts
  • LocationNC

This post is loaded with bigotry- Fiz is BACK!!!

#11 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

Gay baby here. I think you nailed it on the Drew Rosenhaus thing. Have thought for awhile that their relationship was very cozy.

#12 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 7,142 posts

Welcome back.

Do you think Cam Newton sticks with the #1 jersey even after Pickles Clausen is thrown out like sacked garbage?

Signed,

new fan to the huddle

#13 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,614 posts
  • LocationILM

Future #Mafia leader, Teh Fiz.

I heard he is the consigliere:cam:

#14 Brooklyn Bully