Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Foley

Religu-less?

119 posts in this topic

I just truly don't understand why evolution and religion have to come to such violent blows all the time. I have no problem whatsoever meshing them together. It all comes down to one line in the Bible and your interpretation of it. When it says "man was made in God's image" I interpret that to mean in the sense that he gave us the power of reason and the ability to make choices on what we believe, etc. So I am a religious person who firmly believes in evolution...

I just want to say one thing, and I know that it is only touching one part of your statement. However, the conditions of the Miller-Urey experiment are now viewed by many scientists as not equivalent to those of the young Earth. I believe they used a hydrogen rich atmosphere, which many scientists now believe was not the case.

It may be opposite of that, but I know that many scientists do not believe their experiment recreated Earth's early atmosphere.

You are correct, but modified versions of the original experiment are ongoing and really do a nice job of illustrating the beauty that is science.

Test. Repeat. Other avenues of research. Data. Advance.

A bit different than the other method which hasn't changed for thousands years.

I just truly don't understand why evolution and religion have to come to such violent blows all the time. I have no problem whatsoever meshing them together. It all comes down to one line in the Bible and your interpretation of it. When it says "man was made in God's image" I interpret that to mean in the sense that he gave us the power of reason and the ability to make choices on what we believe, etc. So I am a religious person who firmly believes in evolution...

flexibility.... ptui....

...wait...so dinosaurs are real?

Please.....we prefer to call them "lizard horses".

flexibility.... ptui....

Weeeeell....it was only recently that some religions have embraced flexibility as a survival mechanism.

And some won't ever, since they pander to the scared/angry.

Thread is pointless.

Epi is in the medical field, right? Obviously he's not going to believe in God, people in that field don't really like that (most of them that is).

Tattoo is strong in his faith, you won't change that.

I do hope there is a supreme being, laughing at all us losers posting messages on a message board about how it all came to be and how we are alive, but we arn't living.

Replace those nouns with blank spaces and you have a mad libs for every post in the tinderbox.

Weeeeell....it was only recently that some religions have embraced flexibility as a survival mechanism.

why else would anything change?

Maybe religion was always flexible but its leaders were not?

Maybe science has given people new ways to view religion rather than just forcing them to find new ways to defend their beliefs to others?

Nahhh.