Photo
- - - - -

Bryce Brown

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

Committed to Tennessee today in case anyone cared.

I give it three years before UT gets caught in some major recruiting scandal.

#2 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:53 PM

yea it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

#3 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:22 AM

Why would you assume that there will be recruiting violations? CLK has put together an amazing staff, and I'm sure he's been telling these RB recruits that Reggie Bush and LenDale White wouldn't be anywhere without him. That obviously isn't true, but still, the NFL experience between Kiffin and his OC probably help in getting big-name guys like this too.
Brown is friends with David Oku, who signed with Tennessee last week. Arian Foster graduated, so Brown will have a great shot at winning the #2 job as soon as the season starts in the fall.
He was choosing between Tennessee, Kansas State, and Miami. Kansas State sounds miserable (even though he's from that area). Miami isn't in the SEC, and CRS could be in hot water if he doesn't win something this season. Tennessee is a storied program who had a tough year last year. This new staff is selling the idea that these kids can be a part of bringing it back to where it belongs. Plus, as bad as UT was last year, we were three plays away (missed 35 yard field goal - UCLA, Crompton INT returned for TD - Wyoming, Foster fumble on our goal line - Auburn) from being 8-4, instead of 5-7.
No reason to accuse anyone of a violation just because we got a good class. It's not like we are Alabama!
I'm not accusing UNC of anything...though I have no idea how David gets those kids to agree to play football there.

#4 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

Could be. Obviously I don't have any inside info on the situation. But between the situations involving Oku, Brown and the gas pumping WR from South Carolina, it wouldn't surprise me to see something go down with Lane or Ed Orgeron within the next few years. Lane has pretty much been a media dipsh!t since he stepped foot on campus, and Orgeron was born about 10,000 years too late. He'd be a great Cro-Magnon. He can recruit, though, that's for sure.

Assumptions aside, I suspect Arthur Brown will be transferring from Miami to Knoxville before too long. Not a bad little haul by Lane in his first year...

#5 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:39 PM

While everybody is focusing on Lane Kiffin, I'm wondering how Monte Kiffin is gonna handle being a college DC after all these years in the NFL. The college game is a completely different animal, because there are so many different types of offenses you have to prepare for every week. I wonder when was the last time, if ever, Monte Kiffin has tried to defend the triple option, for example? I'm not saying that he can't do it or anything, just that it's gonna be interesting to watch.

Certainly, Lane Kiffin has put himself in a position where he had better win early and often, or he will be toast.

#6 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

I think Monte will be fine with Coach Yaw Yaw helping him out with the defense.
CLK just needs to win 7 games in his first year to keep the fans tolerant. He will land a top QB recruit for next year, and he had just better be up to 9 games by his third year.

#7 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

We tried forever to get Monte to come back to Lincoln, but he wouldn't do it.

Monte is a ******* stud.

#8 olesmoothie

olesmoothie

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:41 PM

Do you honestly think that Bryce Brown's "agent" didn't have something to do with him coming there? When the school that originally signed you, turns around and then says "thanks but no thanks" and southern cal basically says the same, all because of this questionable accomplice he has...I just don't think that translates into Lane Kiffen somehow making this miraculous steal of him.

Also, that whole 3 plays away from yadda yadda logic is flawed. Everybody can say they were one play away from something.

Any more word on how that superbowl coaches party turned out for Tennessee? I'm just waiting on the ball to drop before Lane gets officially caught up in his own doings. He hasn't exactly been making a shining example of himself, and he certainly hasn't won anything worth mentioning in the coaching world on his own merit.

I give Kiffen no later than Nov. before he is fired and/or put on probation.

#9 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

Who is Kiffen?

#10 olesmoothie

olesmoothie

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

Sorry, I meant Lane Kiffin, son of Monte Kiffin, CLK, the current Tennessee coach, or any other acronym or pseudonym you may refer to him as. I thought you would be able to ascertain that from my post. Hope that spelling correction helps you out.

Edited by olesmoothie, 19 March 2009 - 01:27 PM.

#11 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:30 PM

Ha! It does, thank you.
It's no secret that Bryce Brown has a few screws loose. He's got a major god complex...but he's fast, so I'm okay with him being a Vol.
He changed his mind about Miami because of their OC situation. He took Oregon off the list because of their recent coaching issues. USC has a stable of 5-star RBS already.
Kansas State couldn't compete with the Tennessee atmosphere.
Eddie Gran (UT's RB coach) has experience dealing with a few strong backs on the same team...Ronnie Brown, Carnell Williams, Brandon Jacobs.
The new coaching staff has gotten all everyone extremely excited for football season this year. When Brown first visited Knoxville, "The Rock" (which is a giant freaking rock in the middle of campus where students paint messages every night) delivered a specific message to him, just begging him to be a Vol.
I obviously don't really try to sell that we were "three plays away from being 8-4." I just wanted to make the point that this Tennessee team isn't THAT far away from being decent right now. With CLK's strong recruiting, we should be competing for SEC championships again very soon.
There is no way that he'd be fired anytime soon. UT has invested a lot into rebuilding this football program, which was even in the SEC CG last season.
You watch, Kiffin will score a big QB recruit for next season, and the Vols will be primed and ready for success.
We know that Kiffin is a great recruiter, and he can put together a strong staff. We've already seen those things accomplished. Now we just need to see if he can be a good gameday head coach. He's got all the right tools in place now, so he'd have to be really damn bad to NOT win at least eight games.
We'll see. Just don't go blaming someone of recruiting violations when there is no evidence of them whatsoever. It just makes you look jealous for not landing that particular recruit.

#12 olesmoothie

olesmoothie

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

Honestly, I didn't care where Bryce Brown went, other than I found it funny he ended up at Tennessee. You cannot convince me that Tennessee, with their funding and prestige, couldn't have found a more experienced candidate that would represent the university better than Kiffin. It's a questionable hire, and he hasn't done enough positive things to balance out the negative perception he is bringing upon himself. But back to Brown, yes he is fast, and an insanely talented tailback, I think he has a great chance for some pt this year. His talent has never been called into question, but I do believe there is something fishy going on with his "agent". Guess we will see how it all shakes out.

#13 Bama Panther

Bama Panther

USAF JAG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

It's not like we are Alabama!

12-2 vs. 5-7.

You're right. You're not like Alabama at all!!! ;)

#14 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

Sorry for not being clear.

It's not like we are currently in the middle of major violations, like Alabama.

#15 Bama Panther

Bama Panther

USAF JAG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

Sorry for not being clear.

It's not like we are currently in the middle of major violations, like Alabama.

The textbook thing has not been labeled as "major" at this point. It could turn out to be that way. If it is, Bama's screwed.

Either way, though, my original point remains. :)

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com