51 replies to this topic

#1 Reapuh

Reapuh

Top of The Game

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:37 AM

So I'm joining the Air Force...aaand I thought I was pretty set on joining the Security Forces, but the past couple days I've been thinking about it and I'm just not sure about it anymore...

I mean this is a big decision, and I don't want it to be the wrong thing. Just don't want to end up hating what I'm doing. I scored a 67 on the asvab, so I have a good list of possible careers...

Think I'm gonna talk to my recruiter tomorrow about this..and find out what would be best for me.

#2 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:16 AM

I wanted to be a fighter pilot my entire life since I was a little kid, but my dream ended when I injured my eye when I was 17, which damaged my vision... Ever considered it? I couldnt think of a more thrilling job outside of being an astronaut.

It would be one of those jobs where you wake up in the morning, excited to go to work. Have to go to school first though.

#3 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:25 AM

I scored a 96 on the ASVAB and almost nearly went Air Force ROTC. I wanted to fly the big cargo planes but I was also DQ'd by DODMERB for the Asthma I had until I was 13, even though I passed the physical. At the time, I ended up thinking of it as a good thing. Basically signing my life away and more or less leaving my career fate in the hands of the brass ended up scaring me out of it anyways, so I didn't contest. There are some pitfalls in the joining the military for sure, but I'll admit that it would have probably better prepared me for adulthood.

If you don't hit pitfall. I live in a military town and know many in the military. A fair share went in thinking they had one career and ended up in something much different. Especially in a downshift from war times where branches might downsize.

Edited by Razzy, 14 December 2011 - 01:30 AM.

#4 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:36 AM

I didnt join because If I couldnt fly, then I didnt care about it, But The airforce is the way to go, especially if you are thinking of, or have already started a family.

It has it's advantages as well as it's disadvantages.

Steady paycheck, with no worry of ever getting laid off. Pretty safe choice, you won't be a bullet stopper storming caves in Afghanistan like the Marines or Army, and most of the bases around the world are in cool places like Japan, Germany or right here where I live on the beach in florida. You probably won't get stuck in some poohole like rural alaska or Kansas unless you either want to go there, or there is a promotion involved.

You should still join, just find an area that seem interesting to you.

One of my friend's father joined and retired after 20 years as a master sergeant (in his mid 40s), and never had to work again. Not too bad...

Edited by chris999, 14 December 2011 - 01:40 AM.

#5 Reapuh

Reapuh

Top of The Game

• HUDDLER
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:41 AM

Yeah, I'm still joining...just need to figure out what I want my career to be. I've been on a base tour and they are pretty fuging sweet.

#6 Reapuh

Reapuh

Top of The Game

• HUDDLER
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:46 AM

I really hope to be stationed over seas somewhere though...lived in a small town all my life. Hell I'd take somewhere near the ocean...

#7 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:56 AM

The bases are pretty sweet. I have worked out my entire life, and I have still never seen a Gym like the one i saw at Hulbert Field here in Florida. They take good care of you.

Living in an Airforce town, I have met hundreds of Air-men and women, and I cant think of a single one that regretted joining.

If you dont want a boring job, stay away from aircraft mechanics, traffic control or security forces, and try to get excepted into something interesting like intelligence or medicine, something like that. Something where you have to use your logic instead of just doing the same thing day in and out. That is what I would do anyway.

Of course on the other hand, Traffic control and aircraft mechanics make serious money once they leave the military.

#8 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:01 AM

One of my best friends was stationed in Germany and Japan. Said he loved it there, and brought home a smoking hot Japanese wife too. He loved Japan so much that he takes his kids to see they're grandparents in Tokyo every year.

I lived in NC for 20 years, so I know what you mean by wanting to get away. I would love to be stationed in Japan.

#9 Reapuh

Reapuh

Top of The Game

• HUDDLER
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:04 AM

Yep, that's exactly why I'm thinking about not doing Security Forces...everyone says it's the most boring thing ever. Gonna see if my recruiter can get a list of jobs I qualify for tomorrow and get this straightened out.

#10 Reapuh

Reapuh

Top of The Game

• HUDDLER
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:07 AM

Yeah this one guy I was talking to said he and his wife bought plane tickets for 14$ a piece to go to Germany. I was like that freaking rocks. I'll be taking full advantage of that..

#11 N1kkadeemuz

N1kkadeemuz

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:06 AM

Reapuh LITSTEN UP!!! I'm an AF veteran of 8 years do not fuging join security forces. Unless you have a hard on for being a wannabe cop don't fuging do it. SF thinks that their Army so they treat there people like poo. Tell me what you want or are interested in and I will give you the no bullpoo, non political AF recruiter answers. Seriously man the AF is a sweet gig, I have spent almost 2 years deployed, so get used to that. I'm a C17 crew chief (maintenance) I'm in a special duty right now where I fly around the world with the jets. I'm part of aircrew and have seen a ton of poo. Africa and Antartica are the only two continents I haven't been to yet.

#12 Reapuh

Reapuh

Top of The Game

• HUDDLER
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:16 PM

Awesome, man.

I'm really interested in dealing with computers or electronics. Recruiter is gonna email me a list later today with possible jobs.

#13 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,758 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

You want to check out the Navy - if it's anything like it was when I joined, the Air Force has really general "electronics" guarantees which could mean you work on B-2s or HVAC systems for barracks. That convinced me to go into the Navy instead of the Air Force.

The Navy tends to let you get a bit more specific on the high tech stuff or job rating. Plus you will most likely be close to an ocean somewhere....lol

#14 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

I scored a 98 on the asvab...they told me I could do annnnnnnything I wanted.....liars..oh here you go..you can be a firefighter and THAT'S it...sorry..deal with it

They put me in DEP for a year..within that year I decided that I didn't wanna do it anymore..so I went to my recruiter and told them that I had lied to get in and that I had in fact done acid and cocaine

I was free to go

#15 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,758 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Recruiters will do anything to get their quotas and care about what they have to fill FAR more than what you want. If they don't get those firefighter slots filled (for example) they get a bad review and will eventually get shipped back to the fleet (talking Navy here but its the same everywhere). Know EXACTLY what you want AND GET IT IN WRITING. Take a parent or relative that's a vet with you if at all possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com