#16 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:17 AM

Cam does what he can. Defense allows four TD passes in the fourth, Cam can only do so much...

#17 savage

savage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

it seems like its the third quarter that we sputter to me.

#18 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,587 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:33 AM

Not asking any player for perfection.

What sets the great qbs from the rest, is their 4th quarter play.

Rookie or not, cam doesn't play well in the 4th quarter.
Could just be a mental thing for him. Whatever it is, he has to improve his 4th quarter play, or he'll be nothing but a shoulda, woulda, coulda.

#19 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:39 AM

I saw a Packers fan post on PFT in response to their recent article about Rivera start to get fed-up, and they noted that prior to last season Aaron Rodgers also had a reputation for losing close games and not being able to be clutch.

I think Cam will be fine in the long run. Of course it'd help if we had a defense that wouldn't give up 24 second half points.

#20 Showtime

Showtime

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:45 AM

it seems like its the third quarter that we sputter to me.

Cam Newton
4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives: 1(9 opportunities. 11%)

Andy Dalton
4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives: 4(7 opportunities. 57%)

TJ Yates
4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives:2(2 opportunities: 100%)

And we can't leave him out....
The Golden Calf of Bristol
4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives: 5 (5 opportunities. 100%)
*Denver's 6 for 6 in 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives but The Golden Calf of Bristol scored 14 points in the 4th quarter against Oakland and blew them out.

No, it's definitely the 4th. And it's not the defense. All of these guys are in the same situation. You either got it or you don't.

PS: Nice to see it's ok to talk about this now, btw, 13 weeks later.

#21 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:00 AM

Cam Newton
4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives: 1(9 opportunities. 11%)

Andy Dalton
4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives: 4(7 opportunities. 57%)

TJ Yates
4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives:2(2 opportunities: 100%)

And we can't leave him out....
The Golden Calf of Bristol
4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives: 5 (5 opportunities. 100%)
*Denver's 6 for 6 in 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives but The Golden Calf of Bristol scored 14 points in the 4th quarter against Oakland and blew them out.

No, it's definitely the 4th. And it's not the defense. All of these guys are in the same situation. You either got it or you don't.

PS: Nice to see it's ok to talk about this now, btw, 13 weeks later.

Ring ring.

#22 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:24 AM

It's already been pointed out, but a big part of fourth quarter comebacks is the defense shutting the other team down and getting you the ball back. Dalton, Yates, and especially The Golden Calf of Bristol have that. Newton doesn't.

It's also been pointed out that he's young. And that's been ignored as well. And he's in his first year in the system, and he didn't get a training camp, etc...

I'm just curious, for those of you who are disappointed with Newton. What expectations did you have of a rookie QB that he's not meeting?

#23 bauss

bauss

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:36 AM

Not to mention that the offense is put in positions where it must have long sustained drives. Carolina leads the league in scoring drives of 80+ yards.

#24 Cape Fear Cat

Cape Fear Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:58 AM

He's still a kid, and no he hasn't been perfect. But as many of you have noted, it's not all on him (though he is the first to own his share of the goof-ups), and he will get better with time, experience, training and conditioning. I'm willing to cut him a lot of slack, given what he has done for this team in just a few short months.

#25 Showtime

Showtime

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:01 AM

It's already been pointed out, but a big part of fourth quarter comebacks is the defense shutting the other team down and getting you the ball back. Dalton, Yates, and especially The Golden Calf of Bristol have that. Newton doesn't.

It's also been pointed out that he's young. And that's been ignored as well. And he's in his first year in the system, and he didn't get a training camp, etc...

I'm just curious, for those of you who are disappointed with Newton. What expectations did you have of a rookie QB that he's not meeting?

:rofl:

Did you notice the percentage in parentheses? He wouldn't be in a position to even qualify for one if he didn't get those chances from our defense. It's equal across the board.

If you want it per possession, I actually looked this up. Cam Newton was 1 out of 14 possessions for 4th quarter comeback/game winning drives as of game 8. That was 7% back then. He's probably somewhere around 1 out of 25 opportunities for a comeback/game winning drive. That's like 4% out of 25 chances?

Ours defense is doing the same thing for Cam: keeping the game close, within 1 score, and giving him the ball with a chance to put it away in the 4th. That's the only way to qualify for a 4th quarter comeback/game winning drive. He's getting the ball A LOT to try and get one. He's not getting it done. Those guys are.

And if you wanna talk about help, you should really look at who's actually getting help. Cam's getting way more help from all sides of our team. The Golden Calf of Bristol might as well be throwing to himself.

Edited by Showtime, 15 December 2011 - 07:07 AM.

#26 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,438 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:38 AM

I dont feel comfortable with Chud in the 4th. His play calling gets stupid in crucial moments of the game.

#27 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,438 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:41 AM

:rofl:

Did you notice the percentage in parentheses? He wouldn't be in a position to even qualify for one if he didn't get those chances from our defense. It's equal across the board.

If you want it per possession, I actually looked this up. Cam Newton was 1 out of 14 possessions for 4th quarter comeback/game winning drives as of game 8. That was 7% back then. He's probably somewhere around 1 out of 25 opportunities for a comeback/game winning drive. That's like 4% out of 25 chances?

Ours defense is doing the same thing for Cam: keeping the game close, within 1 score, and giving him the ball with a chance to put it away in the 4th. That's the only way to qualify for a 4th quarter comeback/game winning drive. He's getting the ball A LOT to try and get one. He's not getting it done. Those guys are.

And if you wanna talk about help, you should really look at who's actually getting help. Cam's getting way more help from all sides of our team. The Golden Calf of Bristol might as well be throwing to himself.

Orrr the defense just gave up a quick score putting it all on Cam's shoulders again. Which has happened all season.

#28 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,438 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:49 AM

I remember several times where Jake marched us down and put us in position to kick field goals as well. Cam's done that twice that year ...in the 4th quarter :beatdeadhorse5:

qft

#29 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,779 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:50 AM

This thread is NOT stupid...it is a concern at this time. However, Cam is a rookie and I believe this aspect of his game will improve.

But, Cam and the offense have had the ball at the end of the game (with a chance to tie and win)....and not gotten the job done...in almost every game.

I put this on several issues...

1. Cam is a rookie and the pressure in those situations is incredible
2. The playcalling on those drives seem to be off....1st and 5 and we go for 4 straight long balls
3. Our kicker is poo

Edited by MadHatter, 15 December 2011 - 07:57 AM.

#30 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

Certainly looks like he does not throw as well in the 4th.It appears he throws off his back foot more when he knows he must throw or he is hurried which is usually the case when you are trying to come back and the defense is bringing heat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com