Photo
- - - - -

How will you vote on the gay marriage amendment?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
211 replies to this topic

#211 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

I understand why this is such a touch topic. The work Marriage has a very religious meaning for MANY people.

Do this in a two step fashion:

1. Grant civil unions now...giving gay couples the rights they deserve.
2. Change it to marriage in the future once it is not such a lightning rod issue.

I don't begrudge anyone the right to believe as they want. You want to think that homosexuality is an abomination and a sin before God then whatever, I dont really care. But when you want to attempt to codify those beliefs into the laws of this land, a land founded on the precept that we all should be free to believe (or not) in whatever God we choose. I'm sorry, but you can go to hell.

Marriage is NOT a religious institution in any way beyond ritualistic. Sure there are religious rites that are performed to sanctify a joining of two people, but just as being Confirmed in the Presbyterian church doesn't make me legally a member of that sect - being married in a church doesn't convey any legal standing. Its a ritual, nothing more.

The marriage is granted by and recognized by the local government and as such should be available to all consenting adults within the community.

Wrapping your bigotry in a religious text doesn't make it any less bigoted.

Edited by Inimicus, 08 February 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#212 d-run

d-run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

Man, here is some more news on the subject. Right after the news that Prop 8 is overturned, Washington state just passed a gay marriage bill.

http://www.bendbulle...category=NEWS01