Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Pantherfan

Sump Pump or French Drain

58 posts in this topic

Run gutter drains into pipe and away from the house first. If you don't have gutters...then do as Inimicus suggested to see if it's coming from edges. Either get gutters or french drain to prevent it. If it's coming up from the ground/natural seepage or spring...then sump because there's nothing you can do to prevent it getting in that way. Pretty simple.

You can get the sump pump but you still want a french drain. You need to get the water away from your house before it gets under it. Constant water against masonry will erode it into crumbly mush and cause all kinds of problems. I worked for my Dad's construction company for about 15 years and I've seen water do some nasty things to houses. This one woman had an entire spring field pop up underground from a fuged up culvert from a diverted creek. She basically had an underground creek running directly into her house. We had to dig away 20 feet in depth around the back of her house and reseal and waterproof her masonry and footers, install a drainage system, and back fill the entire thing with drainage grade gravel.

1 person likes this

We already have the pipe thingie to extend it out and away from the house..that helped..a tad..but when it rains a ton....damnit..it's a french drain...

here's my back yard in 2008 after a tropical storm came through...the ones JR was referring to

1944_42368546389_637311389_1110913_5591_n.jpg

This tree is now dead and gone

1944_42368541389_637311389_1110912_5355_n.jpg

1944_42368536389_637311389_1110911_5093_n.jpg

My next house will A. Not be in a flood zone..and B. Have a flat front yard

jesus. build a dike.

lol...that was the worst I ever saw it after a storm..Our yard backs up to the greenway at McMullen Creek

I took those pics at 7:30 in the a/m...I walked outside to check on it b/c I knew it had rained/stormed all night..."holy f*cking sh*t" were the first words out of my mouth

the city has actually done some poo in and around it that has made it much better..I haven't seen the water come inside our fence in a long time

lol...that was the worst I ever saw it after a storm..Our yard backs up to the greenway at McMullen Creek

I took those pics at 7:30 in the a/m...I walked outside to check on it b/c I knew it had rained/stormed all night..."holy f*cking sh*t" were the first words out of my mouth

the city has actually done some poo in and around it that has made it much better..I haven't seen the water come inside our fence in a long time

That was a terible storm....so many places got flooded. What usually was a 30 min. drive took me 2 hours to get home from work because so many roads were closed from Rocky River overflowing. Was like that for days and many homes in my neighborhodd got flooded up to the windows.

That was about the same time Ellen regaled us with the story of the neighborhood donkey.

w/ your proximity to the creek you definitely need a pump.

yes!!!! it was actually right before that because we drove around making sure the donkey didn't drown!

w/ your proximity to the creek you definitely need a pump.

Sooooo, then Husker is right in saying "both" .....hmm..We're gonna need to hit a big scratch off

Sooooo, then Husker is right in saying "both" .....hmm..We're gonna need to hit a big scratch off

Yeah like myself and a few said, the best bet is doing both. With a creek so close there is more than likely multiple underwater springs. Remember with above ground water ways, there's 10x's more water below ground than what is visible above. Even if there wasn't visible seepage when your house was built that doesn't mean that some underground water hasn't changed course.