62 replies to this topic

#31 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

You have both Edwards and Shirley that are big run stuffers.

Are they?

#32 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

Are they?

Both are big NT types.

Shirley played well when given the chance.

Edwards did a good job as a run stuffer in KC.

I will find it VERY amusing when the talking heads on here implode when we don't take a DT in the first.

I don't know how much clearer Rivera can be. He has said numerous times that he does NOT view DT as a big need. We have several young DT's that he has spoken highly about. Keep saying smoke screen.....but I have a feeling all of you are going to be pissed.

#33 Woodie

Woodie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Pretty predictable.

People talking down Poe, want Coples (whom i feel isn't worth the pick).

If Poe wasn't good at memphis (on tape), then he wouldn't have been invited to the combine, and wouldn't have been considered a top DT prospect to begin with.

Everyone who talks down Poe, is assuming he's the #1 rated DT based on the combine alone, and that is fuging retarded.
his performance at the combine, just made the scouts go back to watch more tape of him at mempis.

Just admit ya don't want Poe. Don't make up poo to say he isn't worth the pick, when majority of scouts disagree with ya.

That's not true. He jumped solely because of his combine performance. Now that performance will make teams go back and watch more tape, but don't fool yourself into thinking his jump was anything but post combine euphoria. To that point, I have yet to see one analyst update his report (in print, or on video) to say anything about going back and watching more tape and coming away more impressed by his on-field performance.

In fact, the only thing I have heard anyone say about why they have a higher grade on him revolves around his athleticism and physical attributes. Heck, even Mayock, who pushed Poe up in his rankings made a comment to the effect of "on film you might see him on the ground quite a bit and he has a long way to go, but you just can't teach that kind of athleticism." Has all the earmarks of a post-workout bump, and seems to be the general concensus.

Let me ask you this, other than his general athleticism, what has Poe ever consistently shown that makes you such a staunch supporter of his? I've yet to see one person actually talk up his production, just his athleticism. So how is he any different than a Mike Mamula type (i.e.workout warrior, football dud)?

Oh, and for the record, I want no part of Coples.

#34 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

Yeah based on his production he could be seen as risky but somebody is going to take that risk in the first.

Oh yeah Brockers in town tomorrow!!!

:party::party::party::party:

Shameless promotion ^^^

#35 Zorbac

Zorbac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

Brockers is fua of last year.

#36 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,034 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

Brockers is fua of last year.

Absolutely ridiculous comparison with no merit whatsoever. Fua was considered a mid-tier prospect with not much potential to get better but thought to be a decent run stuffer. Brockers is a 1st round prospect with infinite potential who has shown to be a dominant run stuffer (at the college level) with other aspects of his game as well (such as batting down passes, taking on multiple blockers to free up LBs and DEs to get pressure on the QB and *potential* to improve in pressuring the QB himself).

#37 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,034 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

I will find it VERY amusing when the talking heads on here implode when we don't take a DT in the first.

Just speaking for myself, I'd only implode if we took a 4-3 LB or OT that's not Kalil in the top 10.

#38 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

Just speaking for myself, I'd only implode if we took a 4-3 LB or OT that's not Kalil in the top 10.

You might want to get ready. I still see Kuechly as seriously in play for our first round pick.

Connor leaving....Senn being released....Davis a big ?

Rivera LOVES Linebackers and it is now going to be an area of need.

However, I am waiting to see how FA plays out. We have not seen a real offseason (FA period) with Rivera at the helm.

#39 Kuech Da Sneak

Kuech Da Sneak

As long as we aren't 32.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Upshaw will never be a DE...he is an OLB at best.

Ingram is a tweener.

Coples is the only true DE in your list.

Funny how you say that, since a good number of 'experts' are saying that Ingram is a certified OLB, and that Upshaw will have to bulk up and play DE, because he doesn't have the fluidity for OLB.

#40 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Both are big NT types.

Shirley played well when given the chance.

Edwards did a good job as a run stuffer in KC.

I don't know how much clearer Rivera can be. He has said numerous times that he does NOT view DT as a big need. We have several young DT's that he has spoken highly about. Keep saying smoke screen.....but I have a feeling all of you are going to be pissed.

yes.
We could take a DT simply because the draft is loaded with them, but I doubt we do unless a stud falls. I heard he same comment. We had 3 rookies (Kearse, Fua , and McClain) Shirley, Neblett, and Edwards on IR. You don't mow your grass too early--let them develop. Heck, Hardy had issues and we had problems with tackling from the WLB. Not all the DTs fault. They did get better as the season aged.

#41 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

field performance.

In fact, the only thing I have heard anyone say about why they have a higher grade on him revolves around his athleticism and physical attributes. Heck, even Mayock, who pushed Poe up in his rankings made a comment to the effect of "on film you might see him on the ground quite a bit and he has a long way to go, but you just can't teach that kind of athleticism." Has all the earmarks of a post-workout bump, and seems to be the general concensus.

Let me ask you this, other than his general athleticism, what has Poe ever consistently shown that makes you such a staunch supporter of his? I've yet to see one person actually talk up his production, just his athleticism. So how is he any different than a Mike Mamula type (i.e.workout warrior, football dud)?

Oh, and for the record, I want no part of Coples.

Poe was second team all conference USA. Not a top 10 pick. He will bust.

#42 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

Fletcher Cox please.

#43 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,916 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

I just saw some game film on this guy. I have to say I'm not impressed at all. If a Running back is going to stop you dead in your tracks, you're a bad DT. I'm not talking about clipping. He bull rushed him and he just stopped, like hit a wall. That's horrible. In the NFL Backs are stronger than in college.

#44 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,034 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

yes.
We could take a DT simply because the draft is loaded with them, but I doubt we do unless a stud falls. I heard he same comment. We had 3 rookies (Kearse, Fua , and McClain) Shirley, Neblett, and Edwards on IR. You don't mow your grass too early--let them develop. Heck, Hardy had issues and we had problems with tackling from the WLB. Not all the DTs fault. They did get better as the season aged.

DT spot only got better because they began starting players who were better toward the end. We don't have a potentially dominant DT on this team, in my opinion. They are all serviceable at best, God-awful at worst.

#45 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,034 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

I agree a LB is an area of need, but definitely not a MLB. And I'm hoping for Erin Henderson and/or a good prospect or two in the middle rounds like Demario Davis or Nigel Bradham. Don't need to spend a top 10 pick on a backup MLB.

You might want to get ready. I still see Kuechly as seriously in play for our first round pick.

Connor leaving....Senn being released....Davis a big ?

Rivera LOVES Linebackers and it is now going to be an area of need.

However, I am waiting to see how FA plays out. We have not seen a real offseason (FA period) with Rivera at the helm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com