Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why did we keep Clausen?

44 posts in this topic

Posted

What made you think it was a foregone conclusion? Reading people say it on here?

Because he sucks and neither fits the scheme nor offerers Cam veteran mentoring

Posted

Clausen did not play defense, he was not coached properly, and he was behind a terrible OL (Bernadeau, Williams, Schwartz) with 2 rookie WRs. Smith was not pro bowl that season, and he was in the top 10 in the league in drops--as well as double teamed every game.

The system was not good for him. I agree. If people fail to consider these things have anything to do with a QBs success, then there is no point in continuing. He is on the roster for reason, and that decision was made by football experts. I doubt anyone on this board was consulted.

Clausen didn't play D...he HAD a decent D. That helps QBs. Better D than Cam had, more help from the other units.

OL play was better in 2010 than 2011.

Smitty's #s/production in 2010 were strong when Clausen was ON THE BENCH. Standard Smitty production. Clausen just couldn't throw downfield and wouldn't run the offense.

In 2010, Jimmy Clausen was the problem. He got a shot. He just has no talent to be in anything but an offense designed around the dink and dunk. He COULD be decent...but he won't shine in Chud's scheme to develop into something we could trade.

In 2010, people always tried to deflect why Clausen sucked to something else. He just sucked being asked to be in the type offenses we have run.

Posted

Because he sucks and neither fits the scheme nor offerers Cam veteran mentoring

I would have thought the same. However I'll leave that judgement to Rivera, Chudzinski, and Shula.

Posted

who else is supposed to deliver smitty his cactus coolers??

Posted

Send him to the Seahawks for a 3rd....Charlie Whitehurst

Charlie has already been released...but I'm sad to say that right now, Clausen would be an improvement over Jackson!

I am hearing that Flynn is coming to town tomorrow

Posted

They might want to keep Clausen a while so he can have some good preseason showings and maybe some brief stints in the regular season. It's possible that he's still salvageable despite his atrocious rookie year.

Posted

The thing nobody is discussing is what if Cam misses any time this year? Are they possibly going to bring Anderson back, seems like they would have already re-signed him, unless he is testing the market. It seems to be a consensus that Clausen can't run this offense and we don't want to trust it to a 6th round draft pick (Russel Wilson or Darron Thomas). I'd like Anderson back for one more year while Wilson/Thomas/Dixon learns the system. Jimmy's $1M can cover at least part of what we would have to pay Anderson.

Posted

clausen showed a huge improvement in training camp/practice over last year.

obviously its still not enough to overcome the superhuman cam newton. i'd be totally fine if clausen stuck around as cam's backup if he continues to progress and keeps up to date with the system.

chud doesn't exactly run an offense u can learn overnight. having a capable backup is a good thing, otherwise we might end up like the colts.

Posted

Chud has already stated he's loooking forward to see what Clausen can do the upcoming year. He poses no trade value or decent cap space saved.

No reason not to wait and see what he can do this in camp and preseason

Posted

We kept Clausen around to reward him for his legendary efforts in helping us draft our franchise QB.

1 person likes this

Posted

clausen has a lot potential. as they said when he was drafted "i think we may have found our future starter"

Posted

He will be kept in case the Taints* are still bounty hunting. If they are, Jimmy will start against the Taints* instead of Cam.