Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is This Legal?

13 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I something about this a few months back. I'm sure that eventually this will be brought to court.

Posted · Report post

Edit: wrong thread.

Posted · Report post

Well... legal or not... if you refuse, they can probably find some other reason to not hire u

Posted · Report post

Delete facebook account. No more facebook problems.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Don't believe that this would hold up in court.

If the accountis public....they can look at whatever they want.

Requiring access to a private Facebook Profile is no different that requiring someone to turn over a copy of their diary. They have no right to this information.

Posted · Report post

If you turn over the information then that is your choice. If you don't turn over the information, you're just not getting a job.

No one is being discriminated against.

I don't agree with it though.

Posted · Report post

Time to deactivate the account when job hunting eh?

Posted · Report post

They could have my login, password and the whole rest of that junk. It ain't nothing but a braggers site (mostly lies) and posting cute little cuddly sayings and pics.

Posted · Report post

Yes, its legal to ask. No, its not legal to make it a requirement. I doubt many companies will ask for it though. A few obviously, but I can't imagine what is going thru their heads when they decide to ask for it.

Of course, they have every right to look at the information you have displayed on your facebook account and make hiring decisions accordingly.

Posted · Report post

I’m not so sure about it being illegal to make it a requirement DD. As long as a job requirement (that isn’t considered a core skill to the position) doesn’t implicitly exclude a protected class then I believe you can give a job any silly requirement you like.

HR departments are the most litigation sensitive parts of most companies. I would think that if it was illegal to require it they would be on top of it

Posted · Report post

They could have my login, password and the whole rest of that junk. It ain't nothing but a braggers site (mostly lies) and posting cute little cuddly sayings and pics.

And duck faces.

Where else are we going to post those pictures?