Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks Like Obama Needs To Take Some Frecking Constitutional Classes

92 posts in this topic

Posted

I agree with their decision. I just find it hilarious that right wingers always yell "activist judges" when something goes against their beliefs. I guess this ruling will always be linked to any thread about that.

Do you even have a clue what anyone means when judicial activism is talked about?

Name one law being "created" from this bench concerning Obamacare. It's simply reviewing law so that it can be deemed constitutional or unconstitutional. I love how liberals are now re-framing the debate here in complete willfull ignorance.

1 person likes this

Posted

yes its their job to interpret the law and apply it, the same way other judges have.

Like perhaps when it was somehow determined that a corporation is a person - do you think that the Founding Fathers had that one in mind?

In this case they could take a law that from what I have seen, the majority of legal scholars seem to think is actually Constitutional (or at least a "special case" that needs to be viewed on it's unique circumstances), judges up the chain have upheld it to be so, and reverse it. It's their perogative to do so but to think that this will not be anything but a political decision - whatever way it goes - is stupidly naive. All you have to do is look at every other major decision the court has made over the last 30 years to see that's the case.

Posted

(almost) always the voice of reason.

Depends on my mood. :)

Posted

I am for a healthcare overhaul, I just dont like Obamacare because I dont like insurance companies in the middle of it, raising the price.

Japan was pretty smart in the way that they treated healthcare. I think that they have a good model to look at, and see what could be done to make it even better. The thing I like most about healthcare in Japan, is the urgency of preventative medicine. They put a large emphasis on screening and testing so that diseases and conditions can be caught early, making healthcare more successful, and cheaper at the same time.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FHealth_care_system_in_Japan&ei=z3h7T9u-NoGC8QSOl-DVBA&usg=AFQjCNGacGIy5kjZABAsGnY_OJVUSrIkgw&sig2=9LIEPHqYKUuGHQGS2chJ0w

1 person likes this

Posted

Obama probably doesn't really care if the mandate is ruled unconstitutional...just as long as the entire thing isn't thrown out. His goal is single payer anyhow.

What in the world leads you to think his goal is a single payer system?

He specifically went out of his way to get rid of the option in favor of a mandate system, which amounts to a handout to insurance companies.

Posted

He specifically went out of his way to get rid of the option in favor of a mandate system, which amounts to a handout to insurance companies.

No...the mandate was a part of the funding of his "reconciliation" Obamacare bill.

Posted

No...the mandate was a part of the funding of his "reconciliation" Obamacare bill.

Obama has specifically gone out of his way at every twist and turn to get rid of any mention of a single payer system. This quote is from 2009.

"If I were starting a system from scratch, then I think that the idea of moving towards a single-payer system could very well make sense," Obama said. "That's the kind of system that you have in most industrialized countries around the world. The only problem is that we're not starting from scratch."

http://www.npr.org/t...oryId=106969104

This is of course backed up by every single action taken by his administration.

I don't understand why someone like you, who wants to place every evil and wrong at Obama's feet, is unwilling to make the logical conclusion that his healthcare reform bill, which is a pile of poo sprinkled with some bits of chocolate, was anything other than a means to secure funding from the insurance lobby.

Instead, you think that fleecing americans even more while giving them a larger cage to hide in is actually the next step on the path to single payer, when if he'd wanted to he could have done that in 2008.

Posted

Obama has specifically gone out of his way at every twist and turn to get rid of any mention of a single payer system.

Just an opinion, but I think he would like a single payer system, but knows that it doesn't have a chance of passing.

Posted

Just an opinion, but I think he would like a single payer system, but knows that it doesn't have a chance of passing.

Rubbish.

for the last twenty years the United States has consistently polled 60-70% in favor of a government run healthcare system, and he had more political clout than any person in US history when he was elected.

Posted

additionally, obama didn't study at UC Berkley. He went to the university that fuging started the neoliberal/deregulation regression of the 90s/00s. He went to the university that gave us Pinochet.

It's far more likely he believes in the fair and just hand of the "free market" than he secretly wants a single payer system.

I mean hell the whole idea of a mandate fits perfectly with the whole illusion of competition and fair markets. "Why yes if we make everyone buy insurance than surely the insurance companies will lower premiums to be "more competitive." What's this? They're not lowering? Ha! Next you'll tell me banks aren't' going to loan out the free money we gave them in 2008!"

Posted

Rubbish.

for the last twenty years the United States has consistently polled 60-70% in favor of a government run healthcare system, and he had more political clout than any person in US history when he was elected.

Hogwash.

You really think Obama had more clout that George Washington, or Thomas Jefferson? Thats laughable. He didn't even have as much clout as Ronald Reagan or George Bush senior. And I would like to see some of these polls that said 60-70 percent of americans are in favor of a government run health care system. I am fairly certain they would be easy to tear apart. Maybe that many support a government alternative for those that have no other choice (and that is debatable), but thats a far cry from a government run healthcare system.

Posted

Just a hunch, I guess