Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sapper

Your Top 5 Songwriters Of All Time (And Their Best Song)

72 posts in this topic

Agree:

Bob Dylan

Tom Waits

Johnny Cash

Adding:

Otis Redding - Dock of the Bay

Stevie Nicks - Landslide

I hesitate to mention Janice Ian as she was a one-hit wonder and therefore shouldn't really qualify among the top songwriters, but I'd really like her to get a nod for "Seventeen." Just relistened to it recently, and damn that's a good song.

5a Gangstarr & 5b Inspectah Deck

These guys wont be on anyone's list for GOAT, but when i'm old and grey I will still be listening to them.

The White Buffalo (Met him at a Ryan Bingham concert, he opened up for him; very cool and humble guy.)

Mike Cooley/Patterson Hood/Jason Isbell (DBT boys, I can't pick one over the other, great fuging songwriters)

Isaac Brock (crazy motherfuger) edit: saw the video i posted someone already did, so here's another gem.

[

Jim James (MMJ) A lot of people like to talk poo about these guys but I love them

And finally Ryan Bingham and the video below.

THOM YORKE, THOM YORKE, and THOM FUGGING YORKE.

Sorry I just love that man so much and he is my inspiration and music icon.

I have way too hard of a time picking my favorite songs so I'm not going to go there.

Here's my list off the top of my head,

1. Thom Yorke

2. Bob Marley

3. Jimi Hendrix

4. Tupac Shakur

5. Robert Plant

6. David Gilmour/Roger Daltrey

7. Elton John

8. Michael Jackson

9. Slug of Atmosphere

10. Michael Angelakos

I hate having to narrow it down and I'm sure I'm forgetting some of my faves, but great thread.

The Avetts??? Really? Jesus christ shoot me now, I don't want to live in this world anymore.

How about some REAL songwriters.

Freddie Mercury, Jim Croce, The Beach Boys, Bowie, Robert Johnson, Howlin Wolf, Levon Helm

The Avetts??? Really? Jesus christ shoot me now, I don't want to live in this world anymore.

How about some REAL songwriters.

Freddie Mercury, Jim Croce, The Beach Boys, Bowie, Robert Johnson, Howlin Wolf, Levon Helm

Right because the Avett Brothers are not REAL songwriters. They are FAKE songwriters. Duh it is all so clear to me now! Thanks!

Right because the Avett Brothers are not REAL songwriters. They are FAKE songwriters. Duh it is all so clear to me now! Thanks!

NP

Look, the Avett's are good songwriters, but we're talking top 5 of all time. What are you, 10 years old?

NP

Look, the Avett's are good songwriters, but we're talking top 5 of all time. What are you, 10 years old?

He clearly stated it was songwriters that influenced him for the past ten years. I don't care for the Avett Brothers, but stop being an idiot.

1 person likes this

NP

Reading the actual post will do wonders.

And in regards to your list, not sure how you list Howlin Wolf when Willie Dixon wrote a good amount of his songs. As a vocalist he is up there. This is about songwriting.

And Robert Johnson for that matter. Robert Johnson is a pioneer, but I'm sure many if not all of his songs are borrowed from bluesmen that came before him.

Ooh can we have the old "who wrote the blues classics first?" debate? That's a fun one.

I love this place. OP Says "top 5 of all time" and you decide "screw that, I'm gonna do the last 10 years!!"

He clearly stated it was songwriters that influenced him for the past ten years. I don't care for the Avett Brothers, but stop being an idiot.

Guy who posts top 5 of the last 10 years in a top 5 of all time thread= cool

guy who expected posts about top 5 of all time= idiot

huddle logic