#1 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

http://collegebasket...-andre-dawkins/

Duke released a statement on Thursday evening saying that ”Andre Dawkins remains a member of the Duke Basketball program. There is a possibility of him redshirting next season but no decision will be made on that until the fall.”

In other words, nothing has changed. So why release a statement?

Well, it seems that the rumors flying around Duke and their ever-so-trustworthy message boards are that Dawkins has been arrested. Or kicked off the team. Or suspended indefinitely. Or taking a trip to Mars for the next three years.

http://www.digtriad....Staying-At-Duke

Durham, NC - Rumors swirled Thursday evening about Andre Dawkins' status on the Duke University men's basketball team.

According to the university:

"Andre Dawkins remains a member of the Duke Basketball program. There is a possibility of him redshirting next season but no decision will be made on that until the fall."

http://www.wralsport...story/11003889/

A source told WRAL Duke's rising senior guard Andre Dawkins is not expected to play next season, but that no decision has been made on his status as of yet

Rumors started across the internet Thursday that Dawkins had left the team, but a Duke spokesperson confirmed he remains a member of the Duke basketball program and the possibility that the junior could redshirt next season will be discussed in the fall.

What's going on?

Here's some Twitter speculation:

https://twitter.com/#!/search/%22andre%20dawkins%22

#2 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Weird. Dawkins had a terrible season IMO and i see Sulaimon taking his spot in the lineup. Dawkins is one of the better 3 pt shooters in the nation when he's on. He was just never on this past season.

#3 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

If I had to venture a guess, I would guess that he might still be having a tough time getting over his sister's death and/or is "acting out" over it.

No way really to know though.

Incase you don't know his sister was killed an a car accident while en route to Durham to watch him play. She lived in VA I think.

#4 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Ouch. Sorry to hear about his sister. Don't know what's going on with him either, didn't know anything was.

#5 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

Andre Dawkins Sr. "He's dealt with a lot. It's been tough. It hasn't been easy at all with the fast pace of playing high level basketball you don't really get time to deal with things like that. Everyone is different and so everyone might handle that situation differently. I appreciate the fact that redshirting is an option for him if that's going to be the case. That's been really great."

Sounds like the kid has a lot going on in his head and with Duke being loaded at the guard spot he could take a year and not worry so much about the whole basketball aspect of it. You could definitely tell at the end of the year there was something going on with him.

#6 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Ouch. Sorry to hear about his sister. Don't know what's going on with him either, didn't know anything was.

One of the the worst parts about it is that the accident occurred in December of 2009. Meaning he has been struggling to deal with this for the last year and a half. I forgot that his mother was also injured badly in the accident as well, but she survived.

#7 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

One of the the worst parts about it is that the accident occurred in December of 2009. Meaning he has been struggling to deal with this for the last year and a half. I forgot that his mother was also injured badly in the accident as well, but she survived.

It's like he finally slowed down and it started to really effect him. The year it happened we won the championship which could have masked the pain a little, then with everybody coming back and Kyrie coming in Duke was loaded for another run at a championship so that could have masked it as well, but then with the disappointment of this past season and how he played down the stretch it seems like it all just hit him. I think it's great that Duke and the coaching staff has allowed him what ever time he needs to deal with what he has going on in his personal life.

#8 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Sounds like he could be dealing with some major depression issues. If so, he should take some time off and get himself together. I could see how all the pressure of playing big time basketball (or any sport for that matter) could adversely affect someone who is already dealing with other major life issues. Everyone is different, like his dad said. Hopefully he can take a year off and get some help in any case.

#9 bigdog10

bigdog10

• HUDDLER
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Sounds like he could be dealing with some major depression issues. If so, he should take some time off and get himself together. I could see how all the pressure of playing big time basketball (or any sport for that matter) could adversely affect someone who is already dealing with other major life issues. Everyone is different, like his dad said. Hopefully he can take a year off and get some help in any case.

I agree. It sounds to me like he needs to remove himself from the pressures that are facing him on and off the court. Spend some time with his family and seek some counseling.

#10 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,182 posts
  • Location704

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Dawkins sister died tragically in a car accident in 2009 I believe. That would be hard for anyone to deal with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com