• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,036 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

I was listening to NFL radio today and the topic was Diva Wide Receivers. It didn't take long for Steve Smith's name to come up and Amani Toomer said no doubt he was a Diva. He cited a game in 2008 when Steve was standing at midfield before the game pacing and talking to himself. He also brought up the punching of Ken Lucas which he thought happened during a game...

What do you guys think? I've never thought of Steve as a Diva. He's a complete nut, that is for certain but he doesn't fit the Terrel Owens/Chad Johnson mold. He's never bent the team over for money. He is a family man. Played with terrible Quarterbacks for most of his career and thanked them all when he hit 10,000 yards. He never threw Jake under the bus, he never publicly called out Jimmy. He does celebrate just about every catch he makes but it's more about energy than entertainment in recent years.

Like I said Steve can be crazy but he doesn't fall into a category. He is one of a kind.

#2 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

If the term "diva" is another word for Napoleon complex, then yes Smith is a diva.

Otherwise, no. Even the above might not be true anymore. He has cooled down a lot the past couple of years.

#3 thunderraiden

thunderraiden

Thunder God Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

I was listening to NFL radio today and the topic was Diva Wide Receivers. It didn't take long for Steve Smith's name to come up and Amani Toomer said no doubt he was a Diva. He cited a game in 2008 when Steve was standing at midfield before the game pacing and talking to himself. He also brought up the punching of Ken Lucas which he thought happened during a game...

What do you guys think? I've never thought of Steve as a Diva. He's a complete nut, that is for certain but he doesn't fit the Terrel Owens/Chad Johnson mold. He's never bent the team over for money. He is a family man. Played with terrible Quarterbacks for most of his career and thanked them all when he hit 10,000 yards. He never threw Jake under the bus, he never publicly called out Jimmy. He does celebrate just about every catch he makes but it's more about energy than entertainment in recent years.

Like I said Steve can be crazy but he doesn't fall into a category. He is one of a kind.

If talking to yourself = dominance, I think im gonna take a cue from Steve Smith.

#4 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

Diva is another fuging overrated term that get's thrown around in sports too much.

#5 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,261 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

Does he play wide receiver?

If so, there's a pretty good chance the answer is "yes".

#6 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

Steve has SPS (short person syndrome) it's a devastating disorder causing you to be extra manly and mean all at the same time.....I know several small people that have this disorder and I hope Smitty never finds a cure.

#7 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

Armanti Toomer has proven to be a little bitch himself.. Diva too good to be associated with...

#8 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

No. Aloof maybe, but not a diva.

#9 Car123

Car123

Newton's Law

• HUDDLER
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

Smith is avg human height

Yeah yeah yeah football standards

#10 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

Isn't a male a Divo and a female a Diva?

Are you calling Steve Smith a beeyatch?

#11 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:44 PM

To me the defining characteristic of a diva is a "me first" attitude which doesn't describe Smitty. He's fiery, talks poo, a little unbalanced maybe but not a diva. The obvious examples of divas are TO and Ocho, but others would be Fitzgerald, Keyshawn, and Deshawn Jackson. Having character flaws doesn't make one a diva. I'd but Smitty in a category with Moss and Irvin as WRs with flaws (all 3 with obviously different flaws) but not divas.

#12 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

He threw Jimmy and Weinke under the bus. It was a wakeup call. They're still sleepy.

Is he a diva? Hell no, he's a cranky bulldog with an attitude that gives 1.000 % on every play, and expects anybody on his team to do the same.

#13 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,773 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:59 PM

if amani toomer says it it must be true

#14 Cape Fear Cat

Cape Fear Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

I have always thought Smitty was a team first guy, willing to do whatever was required of him to get the win. What Toomer apparently sees as Diva-ness to me is simply a fiery attitude that demands as much of others as he does of himself. Yeah, there might be a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but whatever it takes to feed his competitive fire is cool with me - as long as he continues to remember that Carolina Panthers is a plural term, and that he's only a part of the bigger machine. Love me some Smitty!

#15 TopCat

TopCat

Swerve

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

No, he just talks trash.....to the Saints*.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com