Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could Cam Run The Offense?

29 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

A La Peyton Manning?

Interesting concept, especially if down the road Cam learns the offensive system and realizes how he can exploit defenses. I know he isn't close to being able to do this, but who else could better understand what the defense is doing, especially while running a no huddle offense, than the QB?

Like I said, interesting concept to think about. I'm not sure if it will be feasible. Anyway, discuss.

Posted · Report post

Not yet. Maybe someday.

Posted · Report post

He is intelligent enough to accomplish it someday, it's too early right now I believe.

Posted · Report post

Maybe, but in all honesty . . . I hated that Peyton Manning offense when it was at it's height with the 13 dummy calls and fake hikes. Effective, but not effective enough to endure all that.

Please just snap the ball at some point.

Posted · Report post

I think he could...

But it wouldn't look the same. He could do it with the spread option as his base

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Stroupe-a-loop' timestamp='1342480239' post='1827792']
Maybe, but in all honesty . . . I hated that Peyton Manning offense when it was at it's height with the 13 dummy calls and fake hikes. Effective, but not effective enough to endure all that.

[/quote]

I found that really obnoxious as well, and don't feel that all the pre-snap stuff did all that much to confuse the good defenses. Peyton is effective because he's damn good, not for all the shenanigans at the line of scrimmage. He is also one of the best at play-action fakes, something Cam also does very well for a young guy.

Posted · Report post

In the years to come people will be asking if (insert qb name) will be able to run the offense like Cam.

He may very well become the prototype everyone is measured against.

No pressure.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Sure, why not?

He was able to grasp a pretty complex offense as a rookie without the benefit of a full offseason, so he might be one of the few guys that has the mental capacity to run the whole offense.

The real question is whether or not the coaches would ever let him do that, I can see advantages and disadvantages... sometimes it's better to have a second pair of eyes in a booth way above the field calling the plays based on what he sees from his vantage point.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Stroupe-a-loop' timestamp='1342480239' post='1827792']

[/quote]

And only one superbowl to show for all that crap.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CPF4LIFE' timestamp='1342486252' post='1827905']
And only one superbowl to show for all that crap.
[/quote]

And they actually won the superbowl the year he played his worst in the postseason:

70.5 quarterback rating.
3 touchdowns and 7 picks
no game with more passing tds than picks.

Team game and all that.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Peyton Manning? I don't know.

Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers? Very likely.

Posted · Report post

Absolutely. He is way to good in the spread not to.

Posted · Report post

I don't know of [i]any[/i] other QB (Including Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc) that could do what Peyton does. And no, Eli doesn't really do what Peyton does either.

But realistically, we don't need him to be able to do that. As long as he can run a two-minute drill, we're good.

Posted · Report post

It makes me all giddy when I think about the Panthers in the Super Bowl once again, this time with a win.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CatMan72' timestamp='1342486064' post='1827900']
Sure, why not?

He was able to grasp a pretty complex offense as a rookie without the benefit of a full offseason, so he might be one of the few guys that has the mental capacity to run the whole offense.

The real question is whether or not the coaches would ever let him do that, I can see advantages and disadvantages... sometimes it's better to have a second pair of eyes in a booth way above the field calling the plays based on what he sees from his vantage point.
[/quote]

Also, Chud and Shula had Cam run the offense without the benefit of one of those wrist band cheat sheets. Cam's a smart dude.

Posted · Report post

Unless the o-coordinator plans on sticking around for 10 years, I don't see it happening. Peyton was helped by the fact that his offensive system rarely changed during his time with the Colts. That helped him take it to another level.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='weymouthst' timestamp='1342478483' post='1827747']
A La Peyton Manning?

Interesting concept, especially if down the road Cam learns the offensive system and realizes how he can exploit defenses. I know he isn't close to being able to do this, but who else could better understand what the defense is doing, especially while running a no huddle offense, than the QB?

Like I said, interesting concept to think about. I'm not sure if it will be feasible. Anyway, discuss.
[/quote]I think there is too much volume to allow for this offense to be run on a purely audible system.
The Colts offense with Tom Moore was very simple with very few formations and very few shifts.
There base offense was almost alway singleback, 2 WR, 2 TE ACE formation.
Chudz offense is much more multiple, thus the volume is large.
There's the typical (San Diego) Coryel I-Form and Pro-Form stuff, there's shotgun spread, empty spread, there's shotgun zone-read, there speed option, counter option.
If they pared the offense down, then I'm sure eventually Cam could run it like Peyton.
But, imo that represents a marked philosophy shift from the offense that Chudz runs now.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Cam is gonna be the Prototype for the future of Spread QB's. College and Pros. Size, speed, agility and passing ability. I think his brain will be pushed because from what we're hearing, the playbook is gonna be even deeper this year and i'm sure Cam won't be wearing a cheat sheet

Posted · Report post

I've never seen any QB do what Peyton does. Cam is going to be one of the best very soon, but it will be via throws, runs, making people miss, and his enthusiasm.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='edromeo' timestamp='1342488751' post='1827946']
I think there is too much volume to allow for this offense to be run on a purely audible system.
The Colts offense with Tom Moore was very simple with very few formations and very few shifts.
There base offense was almost alway singleback, 2 WR, 2 TE ACE formation.
Chudz offense is much more multiple, thus the volume is large.
There's the typical (San Diego) Coryel I-Form and Pro-Form stuff, there's shotgun spread, empty spread, there's shotgun zone-read, there speed option, counter option.
If they pared the offense down, then I'm sure eventually Cam could run it like Peyton.
But, imo that represents a marked philosophy shift from the offense that Chudz runs now.
[/quote]

I will agree, Chud's offense, being quite complex, would require an extensive knowledge of the offense, and offensive, defensive schemes. While complex, Cam could theoretically pull it off, but coaches assistence would be just as effective. Nicely thought out.

Posted · Report post

Ala Tom Brady or Brees**(i really fugn hate giving these guys any props). Tempo wise/audibles they are the best and I know he can play at that level. He is a student of the game and thats what it takes.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Mr. Scot' timestamp='1342487119' post='1827921']
I don't know of [i]any[/i] other QB (Including Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc) that could do what Peyton does. And no, Eli doesn't really do what Peyton does either.

But realistically, we don't need him to be able to do that. As long as he can run a two-minute drill, we're good.
[/quote]

Agree with Scot here.

Not many QB's in the history of the game did/does what Peyton has been able to do.

The problem is not picking a play and running with it, it's game management, clock management, recognizing what defensive players are coming onto the field, when to go for the big play vs. the chain mover.

Not only do I not think that Cam could do that now, or even for another 5 years, I don't want him doing it.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SCP' timestamp='1342487667' post='1827929']
Also, Chud and Shula had Cam run the offense without the benefit of one of those wrist band cheat sheets. Cam's a smart dude.
[/quote]

This came from Norv/Philip.

Norv didn't want him taking time to look up a play, or relying on the wrist band to not know the playbook inside and out.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Brooklyn Bully' timestamp='1342503459' post='1828122']
I've never seen any QB do what Peyton does.[/quote] Brady and Brees do it.
Rodgers does some, Matt Ryan does some.
There was a whole generation around just bedore the time of Unitas where most QBs were the playcallers.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='edromeo' timestamp='1342557353' post='1828719']
Brady and Brees do it.
Rodgers does some, Matt Ryan does some.
There was a whole generation around just bedore the time of Unitas where most QBs were the playcallers.
[/quote]

Those guys call audibles, not the same as what Peyton did/does.

And you are right about the old days...when you ran 45 times a game, and relied on D. Not to mention only having to score 11 to win every game.

It's not the same.