30 replies to this topic

#16 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,762 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

i don't really care about the announcers, i generally tune them out and focus in on the game. torry holt is the only one who's ever been so bad i actually got annoyed

#17 Greg Schiano

Greg Schiano

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

Mike loves Ron Turner, our QB coach. That's probably why he was salivating. You guys should pray for Dick Stockton and John Lynch. Ballers.

#18 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Being at a rowdy bar, if you cant make it to a game, makes gameday feel like a gameday. The place was standing room only by the 1st half of the 1pm games. Talkin poo to random fans and everybody checking fantasy and fans talkin trash about their leagues. I love being at home safe and having that comfort...but taking a game in at a sports bar can be a blast. I will say i was NOT a happy camper when I left.

#19 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

No they weren't that bad. It's just that sometimes they say favorable things about the team you don't like. How dare they?!

I don't have any beef with an announcer pointing out when a player, regardless of their uniform, does good or bad as long as they are evenhanded about it. But when an announcer shows a bias towards a team or a player then they get on my nerves.

That's not to say I expect them to find something good to say about my team even when they are sucking.

But in Martz's case even when the Panthers were shitting themselves and playing like a high school squad, you'd have thought that the Bucs had 53 guys named Freeman on the squad and were coached by another dozen guys with the same name.

#20 CatfanMO

CatfanMO

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationKC Mo

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

Did any one else hear him say the poo word? Then realize it and stumble around for a minute after that?

#21 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

Kenny Albert and Charles whatshisname are the only national guys that really annoy me. Albert has an incredibly annoying voice and I stupid. He sounds like a mongoloid. Charles whatever is just stupid. I forget his last name...used to be a player, always has that stupid grin.

Edit: just remembered it. Charles Davis

#22 RevJ

RevJ

Huddle Chaplain

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationTriad

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

I thought the first forty-three times he noted the speed of the Tampa defense it was enlightening. From that point on (9 minutes left in first quarter) it was a bit stale.

I did think it was funny when Pitts would give some love to Olsen and then flip to Martz - "crickets".

#23 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,592 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

I'm going to have to go back and rewatch. I was so pissed about how we were playing, plus had the wife in my ear asking every unimportant question you could think of, I missed all of what people are posting in here.

#24 Brandon

Brandon

Everything and Nothing

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

My issue with Martz's commentating was that he would talk about everything but the play that just happened. A color announcer is supposed to provide in depth commentary on what is going on, instead he'd talk about one play... and then keep talking about it for 5-10 minutes. Then it gets worse when Pitts starts asking him about being a head coach, it was like he was interviewing Martz rather than commentating a football game. Sure he has valuable knowledge about football, he was a great offensive mind at one point, but he did an extremely poor job of putting that into practice talking about the game Sunday.

#25 Clicheking

Clicheking

Mack of the year

• HUDDLER
  • 3,339 posts
  • Location910

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

P.G beat me to it. I'm just praying he curses again, that will make the other 59 mins of awful commentary with it.

#26 Panther_mountain

Panther_mountain

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

Prepare for two consecutive weeks of watching football on mute. :(

No one really bothers me anymore....back in the day Jerry Glanville was my nemesis...compared to him all are great...

#27 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,051 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

Lol, Charles Davis and Mike Mayock are my faves, Kenny Albert is one that really annoys me. Aikman is usually insightful but Joe kills it for me, Moose was a guy I couldn't stand and is now someone I look forward to hearing from.

#28 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Turn on the radio and hit mute,

#29 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

Turn on the radio and hit mute,

That works great if you don't mind hearing whats going to happen a few seconds before you see it.

Its like watching the game with precognitive abilities.

#30 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Commentators in most American sports are poor with the NHL being the sole exception and that's probably because many of them are Canadians. The NCAA basketball commentators are decent as well.

The problem is too much cronyism. They don't actually look for people with exceptional skills as a commentator, it's mostly former players, coaches, people who have the right image and people who know the right people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com