Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm in over my head

39 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Why did I ever tell my kid I could do this. Maybe because she said "Mom, you can do this!!" and to not let her down I said, "sure babe, I can do it!"

So since Oct 1st I have embarked on this quest to make her [url="http://assassinscreed.uk.ubi.com/community-news/?p=1552"]Ezio[/url]costume.

I'm not a sculptor. I can create a lot of things but sculpting isn't one of my strong suits. Especially with a bum hand. I've made this out of cold porcelain and waiting on it to dry so it can be sanded and painted. I hope like hell it doesn't fall to pieces. I'm aware it looks like poo.

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img197/1782/eziobuckle.png[/img]
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

looks pretty good to me... don't be so hard on yourself.

-she's going to wear it probably once.
-you've put more effort in already than 99% of parents would ever do.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Its look pretty good. And I played all of the Assassin Creed games.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jase' timestamp='1350653814' post='1951411']
looks pretty good to me... don't be so hard on yourself.

-she's going to wear it probably once.
-you've put more effort in already than 99% of parents would ever do.
[/quote]

She wears her costumes all the time. You haven't seen anything until you have walked outside and seen a ninja hunting easter eggs or a vampire picking strawberries. I should have pics of this.

Posted · Report post

That looks pretty damned good to me LiaG...
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Looked at the Ezio pic again.. is that thing silver? Can you wrap it in aluminum foil or maybe heat shrink foil to it somehow? Would that help its integrity any?

Posted · Report post

Looks amazing so far, and will rock the high Heavens once you add paint and detailing. You make me feel bad for shoving my kids into Halloween hand me downs.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

That's incredible. I'm not familiar with the character but just looked it up and that looks identical down to every detail to me. Mom of the month award if you ask me.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks, I kinda do have a tendency to be too critical of myself.

I need your help!
I'm having a problem trying to figure out what to mount this thing to. Since it's going to be a belt buckle essentially, I need to mount it to something that will keep it from breaking in half. It needs to be something that's rounded since it will be going around her waist. Something that I can cut with a jigsaw, scissors or heat gun things but sturdy enough so that it doesn't flex too much. I also need to attach 4 buckles to it. It will need to look like this sortof...
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img96/4690/ac2insignia.jpg[/img]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='nc_biscuit' timestamp='1350654790' post='1951421']
Looked at the Ezio pic again.. is that thing silver? Can you wrap it in aluminum foil or maybe heat shrink foil to it somehow? Would that help its integrity any?
[/quote]

Yeah, I have to sand it and paint it.

I have some silver leaf spray paint i'm going to spray it with and do the detailing with black mixed into the silver.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I agree with the others, you're being way too hard on yourself... I couldn't make anything even resembling that in a zillion years... my kids always got store bought costumes 'cause we aren't very creative in that department. Fortunately mine are old enough now that they either don't care or can make/buy their own.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='LifeisaGarden' timestamp='1350654947' post='1951425']
Thanks, I kinda do have a tendency to be too critical of myself.

I need your help!
I'm having a problem trying to figure out what to mount this thing to. Since it's going to be a belt buckle essentially, I need to mount it to something that will keep it from breaking in half. It needs to be something that's rounded since it will be going around her waist. Something that I can cut with a jigsaw, scissors or heat gun things but sturdy enough so that it doesn't flex too much. I also need to attach 4 buckles to it. It will need to look like this sortof...
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img96/4690/ac2insignia.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I've found little sheets of really light 1/4" plywood at lowes before. You don't want it to be a heavy material. It was birch, maybe? Something that was pretty flexible at the thickness.