Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paid Vaction Act

28 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The bill would require companies with more than 100 employees to offer a week of paid vacation for both full-time and part-time employees after they’ve put in a year on the job. Three years after the effective date of the law, those same companies would be required to provide two weeks of paid vacation, and companies with 50 or more employees would have to provide one week.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/22794.html

Posted · Report post

talk about stupid

Posted · Report post

talk about stupid

I agree. Government should stay out of business. It will only force small businesses to fold.

Posted · Report post

Ugh. Are we France yet? Capping work weeks at 35 hours so nobody can afford anything?

If you want a job with paid vacation, you do the things to get a job with paid vacation like going to college, developing marketable skills, or passing that pesky piss test.

PS. Piss should be changed by the software censor to tinkle.

I AM SO TINKLED OFF RIGHT NOW.

lols ensue

Posted · Report post

talk about stupid

Oh, dear ... must be the end of days. We agree on something again. :ee:

Posted · Report post

I think we all agree then

Posted · Report post

I just don't see the huge problem with this. After spending time in Europe, I can tell you that people over there are happer overall, and seem to be a lot more into their work when they are on the job, and are better able to disassociate themselves from it when they are on vacation.

Some people just will not be able, for whatever reason, to get a white collar job and negotiate benefits - and not just because they are afraid to take a piss test. Vacation is not just of benefit to the employee, the employer gets a happier more productive worker that is more likely to invest himself emotionally into the company when he is treated like a human being.

As far as government needing to stay out of business, if they had been doing that all along there would be no laws against workplace discrinination, no laws concerning on the job injuries, no OSHA to protect workers....you get the idea.

Government exists to serve the people and protect them, whether from wild eyed suicide bombers or greedy assholes who want a bigger house on Lake Norman at other peoples expense.

One or two weeks paid vacation...my god its a communist plot!!!!!

Posted · Report post

Requiring paid vacation isn't the same thing as passing workplace discrimination laws.

Paid vacation, like health insurance etc. is a benefit that is voluntary.

Posted · Report post

I was just making the point that Federal intervention in workplace policies is not always a bad thing, or something to be avoided at all costs.

Posted · Report post

So we should all strive to be Europeans.

Posted · Report post

Certainly there should be some regulations, but your point, unless I misunderstood it, seemed to juxtapose paid vacation with the function of govt protecting people hence my response.

It's already tough for a small business right now, that would damn near kill them. Not what we should be looking to do ever, but especially at this point. Another ivory tower type bill. PART TIMERS getting required paid vacation? Give me a break. If this ever passes, IMO, this will lead to companies doing everything possible to get around it because it is far too ridiculous to have to deal with.

Posted · Report post

You should be striving to be anyone but who you are currently

• Masters of PIE !

• Recent Comments