Photo
- - - - -

Conte fined for hit on Lafell

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#25 MemphisGambler

MemphisGambler

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Problem I have....the guys making big money....that fine is peanuts. That's why I agree it should be a percentage of the game check. Would make the consequences equal for all.....and more meaningful for those with very big paychecks.

I am fine with the percentage system as long as there is a floor for the minimum (meaning that Conte;s fine should not be $500 because he only makes x amount. All cheap shot fines should start out at a minimum amount (for example, one weeks pay for a minimum salary player) and increase incrementally based on compensation. That would make sense. The union would fight that big time. I am not sure if the fine system is based on the CBA anyway. Right now, it seems that lower paid players will get taxed at a higher rate since the current fining system does not consider what the player makes. Maybe, one weeks pay for all players would be the trump card. The problem sometimes is that you see players getting fined for hits that aren't that bad.

#26 MHS831

MHS831

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

I personally think its fugged up to fine someone that much money when they make that little to begin with. He made 5 G's compared to the 26 he should have.

The NFL needs to fix the fines, and help out the players who don't make as much.

To be clear, he should have been fined, but I completely disagree with the amt

I see that point. It should be based on a percentage of a game check. I just wonder how you are supposed to pull up with some of these fines. \

Remember when our safties used to hit people? I do. Minter, Harris....the good old days.

#27 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

good Conte's a dick

#28 MemphisGambler

MemphisGambler

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

I see that point. It should be based on a percentage of a game check. I just wonder how you are supposed to pull up with some of these fines. \

Remember when our safties used to hit people? I do. Minter, Harris....the good old days.

I remember in the 70's when George Atkinson and Jack Tatum would just clothesline a receiver and nearly decapitate them with the ball not even being thrown to the receiver in question.

#29 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Wonder why the media has not jumped on the fact that Lafell returned to the game after being checked out by neutral, impartial medical personnel?

#30 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

I remember in the 70's when George Atkinson and Jack Tatum would just clothesline a receiver and nearly decapitate them with the ball not even being thrown to the receiver in question.

Ronnie Lott would owe the NFL more than he made.

#31 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

So many of you say that its not fair to fine him so much, I ask; would it be fair if LaFell had suffered a more serious injury? .

#32 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

I bet a bunch of the "rich players should be fined more" people are going to obliviously vote for Romney

#33 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Ronnie Lott would owe the NFL more than he made.

That assumes Lott couldn't adjust to rule changes and flat out ignored them.....

In addition to being vicious he was also a pretty dang smart football player

#34 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

So many of you say that its not fair to fine him so much, I ask; would it be fair if LaFell had suffered a more serious injury? .

He wasn't fined too much....

Only reasonable arguement would be someone who gets paid signifantly paid more should have an even bigger fine for that hit

#35 panthernation23

panthernation23

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

awww dang he is only gonna make 600k in 1 year.....poor poor him. Lets set up a protest for these overworked under payed NFL players

#36 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

I don't think Conte is a dirty player. He was just trying to play tough. If I was a wealthy teammate of his, I'd pay his fine. You need that attitude from your young, lower paid players.

http://www.cbssports...ne-files-appeal

"It hurts a lot. That's a big chunk of the money that I make and I think it's kind of unfair to fine a guy that is still in his rookie contract that much money, but hopefully they'll take a look at it and at least get it reduced."

Conte has filed an appeal. Essentially he said he'll be "playing for free" this week against the Titans.

Conte signed a four-year, $2.603 million deal as a rookie before the 2011 season.

Coach Lovie Smith said the league explained the fine as automatic because Conte had been penalized on the play.

"Normally you get a flag thrown, you get fined," he said. "It's kind of simple as that now. ... That's the protocol.

"He's been fined one time. As I said, he wasn't trying to hurt anyone, but those things happen. Sometimes when you break the rules, even if you're not trying to, there are consequences to pay. Simple as that."

It seemed somewhat apparent Smith didn't think his player should get fined so much from the way he spoke facetiously about the money Conte has to pay.

"It's the NFL. Guys make a lot of money," coach Lovie Smith said. "That's what y'all (reporters) say. Guys make a lot of money. So I'm sure they can handle the fine.

"What's a $21,000 fine, you know?"

Conte said his playing style will be unaffected even if he was upset with the fine.
"I don't think you can let it affect you," he said. "You've got to play football the way you play football and be aggressive, and I guess these things are just a part of the NFL now and it comes with the job."