Photo
- - - - -

If a sure-fire WR1 is not available after our first 2 picks, should we wait? Presuming we go Line with 1 and 2

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#16 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,515 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

We have a lot of talented receivers on the team ...most of them.young
we don't need just another body...we need someone to be a true number one, or it'll be a waste of.time and the.pick.

#17 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,151 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but we don't have a 3rd rounder.

/sarcasm

#18 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,550 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

this thread is text book fail

#19 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

The line positions are easier to address than a number one receiver. If there is one available they fall in love with, they should pull the trigger. They are not going to find a day one starter at received the second day of the draft.

If Hunter, Hopkins, Rogers or Patterson is available at #33 I think a day one starter could very well be found on the second day of the draft.

#20 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

sure fire 1 WR in the 3rd?!?

da fuq?!?!?

#21 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

Yea I have to assume he meant something else, if there's a sure fire anything other than P, K, or maybe FB or LS after the top half of the first round, it's a pretty loaded draft class.

#22 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,926 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

I didn't read your whole post because it's way too long, but we don't even have a third round pick.

I am sure you have read way longer...Anyway, thanks for the correction.

#23 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:28 AM

We would have to wait in your scenario.

We don't have a 3rd round pick.

Well, obviously that begs the question, which is really the point of the thread for the thinking man: With our need on the both lines, is it really worth taking another project or question mark at receiver at the cost of continued holes on both lines, especially with arguably an equal talent level and "question marks" already in our current WR corps?

#24 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

this thread is text book fail

Only for smartasses unwilling to get down to the essential point.

#25 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

I think TE2 is a bigger need than WR"1" in rounds 1, 2 or 4. I'm not sold on Barnidge as a receiver or blocker. Smitty, Lafell, Gettis, maybe Murphy, Pilares, Adams and Bryant are a solid core, as well as a giant WR with one of our 6th round compensation picks perhaps.

One Offensive Lineman, an interior one, a big DB to compete at FS, and a tight end to back up Olsen are our three biggest needs, I'd say.

#26 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

To clarify: obviously there are no sure-fire anythings at any position, but there are guys who can be found in later rounds who may have the legitimate potential to come in and make an immediate impact and obviously become an heir apparent to the main guy.

If we can't get a guy of, for example, T.Y. Hilton's potential (late third round pick), then perhaps we should just skip WR altogether this year as far as the draft is concerned.

#27 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

To clarify: obviously there are no sure-fire anythings at any position, but there are guys who can be found in later rounds who may have the legitimate potential to come in and make an immediate impact and obviously become an heir apparent to the main guy.

If we can't get a guy of, for example, T.Y. Hilton's potential (late third round pick), then perhaps we should just skip WR altogether this year as far as the draft is concerned.

Well if that's what you're saying I pretty much agree. No more project WRs, we have plenty. But I would take any of these in the 2nd or later and feel safe they're not "projects":

Allen
Patterson
Hunter
Hopkins
Rogers

These guys are very close and with a very good combine could fit into that category:
Patton
Austin
T Williams
Woods

I might be leaving someone out, but that's who I could think of off the top of my head

#28 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,348 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Stedman Bailey should be available late in the 2nd.

#29 catnip

catnip

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

I posted this before, but with Gettleman for the Giants we should make a deal with them for Nicks at WR. Maybe Beason for Nicks.
We no longer have a need for two great MLB players, so he could get cap relief and Beason could go to a contender. Good for him and great for us. thoughts !

#30 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,789 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

I agree. Imo, if we doesn't take a receiver in the first 2 rounds, lets just forget about drafting one at all. These lower projected receivers who'll become projects will keep forcing us to past up on receiver over receiver in the future, bc we think we have someone in the making (Lafell/Gettis). Unless a more proven college receiver like Patton is there in the 4th, I wouldn't take a receiver.

The wide receiver position is starting to resemble our DT spot. We just keep ignoring these two positions in the draft year after year. We have three 3rd rounders (Smitty 2001/Lafell/AE 2010), two 4th rounders (Adams/Murphy), Pilares a 5th, and David Gettis a 6th rounder to round up our receiver corps. Thats terrible man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.