30 replies to this topic

#16 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,014 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Try and get this moved to The Tinderbox for a potentially sufficient answer.

#17 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Got to view history in context. Literal translation often does not work in current context. Intent is important, but intent is lost in literal translation.

Founding fathers, IMO, did not create as strong a central government as they should have and likey they intended.

​IMO, intent is often lost today because of special interest.

Murphy...I think is over rated.

By central government what do you mean? "Republican" in this case is referring not to the political party but to the idea that a good citizen of the republic would willingly sacrifice what was good for them in exchange for what was good as the republic as a whole

#18 xtheronx

xtheronx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationCharleston, South Carolina

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Jerry is our founding father

#19 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

His-Story?

#20 xtheronx

xtheronx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationCharleston, South Carolina

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Casanova referred to condoms as his “English riding coats"

#21 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,290 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

By central government what do you mean? "Republican" in this case is referring not to the political party but to the idea that a good citizen of the republic would willingly sacrifice what was good for them in exchange for what was good as the republic as a whole

Good question for the kid to ponder in his paper.

#22 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,327 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

Classic Seal? What da fug?

Don't judge me monkey, Seal is the motherfuging poo.

#23 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

Posted Image

*Amid the battle for American independence and the struggle to invent a federal government, American Revolutionary leaders and intellectuals sought also to create an American culture that would unify a territory of immense regional, ethnic, and religious diversity. In a sophisticated, yet accessible, interpretive narrative, Eve Kornfeld examines the efforts of Noah Webster, Benjamin Rush, George Washington, Judith Sargent Murray, David Ramsay, Mercy Otis Warren, and others to invent a national literature, narrate a story of nationhood, and educate a diverse people for virtuous republican citizenship. Among the 31 documents following the narrative are early attempts at American epic poetry, excerpts from the first narrative histories of the United States, and commentaries on the place of women and Indians in national life. Headnotes to the documents, reproductions of early paintings and portraits, a chronology, questions for consideration, a bibliography, and an index are also included

** Now go do your homework

#24 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,048 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

In seriousness you need to discuss that after separating from England there really was a lot of debate about whether we wanted a strong federal government which would have significant power or a weak one where the states retained all the power. The articles of confederation in 1777 were pretty weak and the government had very little power.
http://www.factmonst...a/A0877703.html

They were replaced by the constitution in 1789 which effectively changed some of the weaknesses in the articles of confederation and more closely resembles the government of today. So part of your answer was how did the constitution and the bill of rights help accomplish this goal which obviously were lacking in the articles of confederation. Also consider that nationalism wasn't shared by everyone at the time, most of the ideas in the declaration of independence and the constitution were actual considered radical revolutionary ideas at the time. Not everyone was loyal to the new government or felt that it was a good idea. So how did this framework allow for people to have different views then and still have a sense of collective nationalism which grew over time.

Just a few thoughts between clients.

#25 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,048 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Posted Image

*Amid the battle for American independence and the struggle to invent a federal government, American Revolutionary leaders and intellectuals sought also to create an American culture that would unify a territory of immense regional, ethnic, and religious diversity. In a sophisticated, yet accessible, interpretive narrative, Eve Kornfeld examines the efforts of Noah Webster, Benjamin Rush, George Washington, Judith Sargent Murray, David Ramsay, Mercy Otis Warren, and others to invent a national literature, narrate a story of nationhood, and educate a diverse people for virtuous republican citizenship. Among the 31 documents following the narrative are early attempts at American epic poetry, excerpts from the first narrative histories of the United States, and commentaries on the place of women and Indians in national life. Headnotes to the documents, reproductions of early paintings and portraits, a chronology, questions for consideration, a bibliography, and an index are also included

** Now go do your homework

The internet is a wonderful thing, isn't it........................

#26 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,327 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

The internet is a wonderful thing, isn't it........................

"But you can't believe everything you've read on the internet, says the person who read that on the internet."

#27 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Its the off season and this is urgent cause I need to write a 5 page paper on this topic. I might get flamed for this but I need help answering this question:

To what extent were the intellectuals of the Revolutionary generation successful in their attempts to create a strong, unified, republican American culture between 1775 and 1800?

What effect did their efforts have on the course of American history?

Is their dream of American cultural unity still alive today?

and who in the hell in there right mind would ever want Louis Murphy back in a Panthers uni?

PIE will be given

I think it's important to remember that the "intellectuals of the Revolutionary generation" were not necessarily a unified ideological group. Like intellectuals today, they disagreed on the proper size and scope of the central government. That said, I suspect few people of the time imagined that the founding documents they wrote and the government they created would stand for as long as it has.

The feeling of belonging to one unified nation was largely solidified, I think, by the war of 1812, westward expansion and the war with Mexico. Though obviously both the intellectuals of the Revolutionary period and the experience of the revolution itself helped.

I'm not actually a historian, I'm an economics major who dabbles in history, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

What's wrong with Louis Murphy being on the team? I don't want to count on him as a starter, but he has value as a backup receiver.

#28 Dick the Butcher

Dick the Butcher

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,446 posts
  • LocationCornelius, NC

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

compare and contrast the articles of confederation and the constitution. that should fill about 5 pages alone.

#29 Dick the Butcher

Dick the Butcher

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,446 posts
  • LocationCornelius, NC

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

also, dive into the federalist papers. that's true newspaper, ground up, common american ideals right there.

#30 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

I love it when people on the Internet try and act smart; especially when you look at their screen names.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com