Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gazi

Any moment now all of this wealth will trickle down

56 posts in this topic

Did somebody say penis measuring? I just woke up and sensed I was needed on the huddle.

I dont think Madhatter is a dick, I just dont think he understands empathy. He simply cant understand that normal people support things outside of their own selfish interests.

He just cant see past his overwhelming narcissism to notice that every person on earth doesnt live in their own private little bubble of personal responsibility

I dont think Madhatter is a dick, I just dont think he understands empathy. He simply cant understand that normal people support things outside of their own selfish interests.

He just cant see past his overwhelming narcissism to notice that every person on earth doesnt live in their own private little bubble of personal responsibility

You don't know me well at all.

I contribute a lot to charity. But, I believe in helping those that work to help themselves. I don't believe in assistance programs that morph into a means if generational support and provide no incentive for those receiving the assistance to ever get off that juice.

I believe in helping people...not supporting them.

People like Cantrell believe that the odds are stacked against people and they should just throw up their arms in defeat and expect someone else to give them something. I went to a high school where only 20% of the students went on to 2 or 4 year college. But, I saw students who came from nothing who worked their asses off to overcome...and they did. I also saw students who had the exact same opportunities do nothing with them.

They cared more about having a good time than working towards their future. So, no...I don't have a lot of empathy for those same people. Their decisions had more to di with their situation than a lack if opportunities did.

An example of when govt assistance is ok

Approximately $70 million is expected to be invested in the Waukesha Electric Systems facility expansion. SPX's investment is expected to be offset by government funding totaling approximately $25 million. This support includes a federal tax credit of $12 million awarded to SPX as part of the $2.3 billion Recovery Act Advanced Energy Manufacturing Tax Credits announced in January by the U.S. Department of Energy and the Obama Administration. The city of Waukesha is also expected to provide $9 million of tax increment financing to support this project. "This government support is critical for the project," Brockley added.

Says who?

Not me

Me either, government shouldn't be in the business of giving tax breaks to companies.

There is a difference though. There are returns on the investment for corporate welfare (at least hypothetically.)

IF NC gives a tax break to Met Life it will get a return in the form of jobs. Or at least more tax paying citizens. And a tax break doesn't mean tax free. NC and meck will still get more tax tomorrow than they had today.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/03/13/3909866/decker-mecklenburg-incentives.html

It is much more difficult to quantify the return on welfare.

You don't know me well at all.

I contribute a lot to charity. But, I believe in helping those that work to help themselves. I don't believe in assistance programs that morph into a means if generational support and provide no incentive for those receiving the assistance to ever get off that juice.

I believe in helping people...not supporting them.

People like Cantrell believe that the odds are stacked against people and they should just throw up their arms in defeat and expect someone else to give them something. I went to a high school where only 20% of the students went on to 2 or 4 year college. But, I saw students who came from nothing who worked their asses off to overcome...and they did. I also saw students who had the exact same opportunities do nothing with them.

They cared more about having a good time than working towards their future. So, no...I don't have a lot of empathy for those same people. Their decisions had more to di with their situation than a lack if opportunities did.

So... you make bad decisions in high school, you should have to pay for that the rest of your life.

How compassionate of you

There is a difference though. There are returns on the investment for corporate welfare (at least hypothetically.)

IF NC gives a tax break to Met Life it will get a return in the form of jobs. Or at least more tax paying citizens. And a tax break doesn't mean tax free. NC and meck will still get more tax tomorrow than they had today.

http://www.charlotte...incentives.html

It is much more difficult to quantify the return on welfare.

From what I see in the comments on the Observer site, it seems most people do not understand this concept. They see giving the companies tax breaks as exactly the same as taking their money and writing a check to those companies. They fail to realize that if the companies weren't moving here it is the exact same thing, except there will be less people employed and less people buying homes, therefore contributing to income and property taxes.

There are instances where actual grants are given out, but these are less common and usually a small percentage of the total incentive package.