• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,373 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

I sometimes think that these local reporters like Person come in here (the huddle) for their info. Using us as their unnamed sources.

And that is the bigger problem, we consume our own poo.

#17 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,976 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

One day Zod, when you're jacked in to the datasphere via your cortical shunt, you'll know about breaking news before it happens due to the predictive algorithms... then we won't need twitter either.

#18 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,168 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

As far as the newscasts go, I am constantly amazed at how much technology and time they put into the weather. I get 3-D maps, barometric pressure, live remotes from some rookie journalist in a storm telling me that it is windy and raining. Just tell me if it is going to rain or not and how cold it is going to be. I am good with that. I am going to work, and my job is not landing the friggin Space Shuttle.

#19 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

You know, an article about Jon Beason and his recovery would be pretty nice......nah fug it let's talk about signing Drayton Florence

#20 Strawman

Strawman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationKissimmee FL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Only time Twitter has any use to me, is during training camp. For those of us that can't go, it does give a feeling of being there. For "breaking news" all I have to do is check here. Seems there are quite a few posters whose only raison d'ĂȘtre is to see who can be the first to post a tidbit, and thus get pie somehow validating their existence. Thanks guys!

#21 mr beauxjangles

mr beauxjangles

Large Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Did you just ask Joe Person to give you some "long form content?"

#22 j2sgam

j2sgam

cant beat the original...

• HUDDLER
  • 4,079 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

I come here for the 'breaking news', do not have & will continue to not have a twitter account... The Huddle does a damn fine job.....

Zod has a hell of a point, the same was made by Mr.Scot quite a while ago, IIRC. It was more enjoyable to be a fan when I did not know everybody on the team's name. We have all grown accustomed to the instant gratification lifestyle, twitter, emails to your phone, Keurig, streaming movies, we all want everything now. It is what it is, a sign of the times.....

#23 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Do you feel we we better off?

I enjoyed sports more 15 years ago. Anything important I could see on the evening news sports report or in the paper or papers website the next day. Jump on an internet forum to discuss those things.

There was a leisurely quality to following a team.

Now its fugging stressful. Check your twitter! Turn on ESPN! Something could happen any minute!

It has made being a fan much less enjoyable.

it depends on what you want. if you like spending time reading the paper or your phone then no. if you like the possibility of getting news before everyone else (which aside from ffb and water-cooler gossip i dont know why it would matter) then yes.

i don't really care either way. I'm kind of a go with the flow kind of guy that accepted the world was going to be changing rapidly in good and bad ways with or without my approval so i don't really get or stay too attached to anything other than family. everything else i just adapt to and if i don't like or understand it i just shrug my shoulders and move on.

you're getting old now so get used to life moving at a blistering pace around you and changes taking place too quickly where you just want things to be normal. or the way things used to be just a year or two ago. your choices are to adapt, complain, or run away.

i know that's more than what you were asking for, but its really just part of a rapidly changing world that we're getting older and more change resistant in.

re: twitter stuff...I'm ADD so it's hard for me to focus on long articles unless I'm writing them or doing research for writing gigs. twitter fits the time frame i actually have to focus on most things. the problem is that all the twitter feeds i have for football, work, and personal stuff just add to my "hey look! a squirrel!" moments.

is it more fun or enjoyable? i don't know. i really don't look back enough. i try to be where i am rather than where i used to be, if that makes sense.

#24 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,373 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

I fuging hate kuerig machines

poo coffee, more expensive, and more garbage....but hey...it saves you a minute a day!

#25 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

I fuging hate kuerig machines

poo coffee, more expensive, and more garbage....but hey...it saves you a minute a day!

that's one thing i won't adapt to..instead i just shrug my shoulders and be glad i only had to make one pot for my 4 cups of coffee that i wasn't dumb enough to pay a dollar a piece for and i can throw the waste in my compost pile.

#26 Shufdog

Shufdog

• HUDDLER
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

As far as the newscasts go, I am constantly amazed at how much technology and time they put into the weather. I get 3-D maps, barometric pressure, live remotes from some rookie journalist in a storm telling me that it is windy and raining. Just tell me if it is going to rain or not and how cold it is going to be. I am good with that. I am going to work, and my job is not landing the friggin Space Shuttle.

All of that technology and time they put into it is why they can tell you if it's going rain or not and how cold it is going to be!

#27 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,373 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

that's one thing i won't adapt to..instead i just shrug my shoulders and be glad i only had to make one pot for my 4 cups of coffee that i wasn't dumb enough to pay a dollar a piece for and i can throw the waste in my compost pile.

Exactly, I've gravitated towards French presses and the Italian style percolator things. Some things just don't need to be any easier to do. Slow down and enjoy the finer things...

#28 beckersteen

beckersteen

Nihilum

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • LocationConcord

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

You can basically follow two nfl reporters and find out everything.

The question for me...Why do I need to know within seconds that Chase Blackburn signed?

I hate this age of instant gratification

so you can post on your forum first and get free pie

#29 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,551 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

No one is physically at a computer all day "on" twitter, people periodically update twitter as most have it as an app on their phones.

Please tell me how the hell was Gantt more efficient at his job than Person? Person is literally one of the worst beat writers compared to the others, using Twitter as an excuse for Person's delayed reports...pathetic.

There's plenty of workers who "don't get paid much"(teachers, police officers, to name a few), but I bet they still grind it out. He's a fuging reporter, report the damn news.

#30 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Exactly, I've gravitated towards French presses and the Italian style percolator things. Some things just don't need to be any easier to do. Slow down and enjoy the finer things...

mmmm...french press. i don't think i've used it in a couple weeks. gonna have to use that for my afternoon coffee.

one thing I'm going to get soon is a costa rican coffee maker. i mean i could make one, but I've got a buddy from there who is supposed to pick one up for me when he goes back in the summer. good stuff, tho. it takes some time to make it, but its so worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com