Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Revis To Bucs, And Why We Should Rejoice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
132 replies to this topic

#121 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

LMAO- not a single dime of his contract is guaranteed, which means nobody else wanted him.

The Jets made out on this deal, becoming the first team since 2000 to have 2 picks in the top 13 in this weekend's draft. And both of those picks combined won't cost them $16M.

Revis isn't even going to practice until September.

100% correct.

the bucs got hosed. of course they had tons of cap room for some reason so they won't feel it.

he's making $32mil in two years. in one year he's going to be making what a 1st round pick at 13 would be making in his first 2-3 years. they did this in a year when the market dropped lower than it has in nearly a decade...esp. for CBs.

they had no competition for revis and the jets wanted him gone more than the bucs wanted him.

the whole thing is ridiculous, esp. when you factor in how easy it is to work around him.

#122 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

This just in : Revis Island desimated by Hurricam Steve.

Revis will most likely be watching that game from the sidelines with a crippling case of turf toe!

#123 nickzz

nickzz
HUDDLER

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=291129020

Revis on Smith...Smith had one catch for 5 yards, and had one bounce off his foot right into Revis's hands. If he's still even close to the same player he was in 2009, this is really bad news for Panthers fans.

However, since the Jets were intent on unloading him, it either speaks to his health, or the fact that they didn't think he was worth what the Bucs paid for him. Probably both.

of course smith had a bad game. look at how poorly delhomme played that game.

#124 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

of course smith had a bad game. look at how poorly delhomme played that game.

yep. it was a crap year and that game jake threw 34 times and only had 14 completions. worse than that, he threw 4 INTs and no TDs. 2 to revis. that's not on smitty...that's on jake and davidson. jake was playing like poo that year and that game was a perfect snapshot of how poorly he was doing.

of those 34 pass attempts i think only about 6 went smith's way. one was a TD that was challenged and ruled an incomplete. two were intercepted, one being a pick 6. he finished that game with a 12.7 QB rating.

yeah, jake sucked. that was his worst game of the year.

#125 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

HUDDLER

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

Didn't Revis hold Smith to 5 yards or something the last time they played?

You mean the game were jake threw 4 picks and Revis himself admitted that smitty had him beat no less that 4 times on deeper routes?

I believe this is actually the game were Revis said smith was the toughest man he ever had to cover.

#126 jarhead

jarhead

HUDDLER

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

I do not understand why we should rejoice when our rival just picked up the best corner in the NFL.

#127 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

I do not understand why we should rejoice when our rival just picked up the best corner in the NFL.

because it cost them a ton of money and a first round pick and it is really easy to work around. all he can do is maybe shut down one receiver which shouldn't be a problem because we should be spreading the ball around to multiple receivers all game anyway. revis is essentially their pass defense. they have no other good DBs against the pass and they have no pass rush to speak of.

#128 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Pass rushers > linebackers > cornerbacks.

I would love to hear the logic of linebackers > cornerbacks.

#129 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

HUDDLER

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

because it cost them a ton of money and a first round pick and it is really easy to work around. all he can do is maybe shut down one receiver which shouldn't be a problem because we should be spreading the ball around to multiple receivers all game anyway. revis is essentially their pass defense. they have no other good DBs against the pass and they have no pass rush to speak of.

Don't waste your breath anymore. I suppose we should just go ahead and trade for our own overrated corner back coming off a season ending injury and sign him to a 100 million dollar contract. Somehow people don't seem to mind this scenario but are the same ones who screamed endlessly about our over investing in one position (RB).

#130 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

SUPPORTER

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:47 AM

Want to know the real reason we should rejoice that the Bucs signed Revis?

Because Ted Ginn is now in a Panthers uniform and can burn him again...just like above.

#131 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

SUPPORTER

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:27 AM

i wouldn't say we should rejoice, but it's clear this isn't the final cog in the chain the bucs would like it to be. our best course of action is to react to it by building our offense, schematically and personnel-wise, to cope with the threat, and that starts with wide receiver. if revis more or less removes smith (a legitimate possibility) from the game, or at least marginalizes him, then negate revis with guys that can take advantage of subpar DBs (by, say, drafting a top-notch receiver, for starters.)

revis is good.
revis is a threat.
we have a general manager who can plan to negate a threat.

we'll be alright.

#132 Match.com

Match.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

Yeah great move by the bucs

#133 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

i wouldn't say we should rejoice, but it's clear this isn't the final cog in the chain the bucs would like it to be. our best course of action is to react to it by building our offense, schematically and personnel-wise, to cope with the threat, and that starts with wide receiver. if revis more or less removes smith (a legitimate possibility) from the game, or at least marginalizes him, then negate revis with guys that can take advantage of subpar DBs (by, say, drafting a top-notch receiver, for starters.)

revis is good.
revis is a threat.
we have a general manager who can plan to negate a threat.

we'll be alright.

agree with all that except I'd add two things.

revis is a threat.....to just one player, the WR he's covering. if you can avoid throwing to that WR and still be productive the you've made revis irrelevant. he can't shut down an offense unless that offense is solely dependent on that WR for success and keeps throwing to that WR (see jake circa 2009).

about gettleman negating rivera, agreed to a point, but it also depends on shula's gameplan and management/playcalling. if he calls a more traditional gameplan and/or focuses on smitty too much we'll lose to them again. negating the revis effect and that defense as a whole depends on our ability to not play to the bucs D strengths. keep it in the air and away from smith.