Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Unprecedented Move: Panthers take an UDFA in the 4th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#49 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

The scouting department was put together by Hurney. Gettleman didn't have the time frame to replace or even fully evaluate our scouts.

The deeper you get into the draft the more Gettleman is forced to lean on his scouts and he has no history with them, he doesn't know who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. I expect him to go back and evaluate everyone in the FO over the course of the season and make some changes heading into next year but for now he really just has to cross his fingers and hope guys know what they're doing.

#50 Everfrost

Everfrost

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

how is he a udfa draft isn't over so you don't know..
i'd guess he wouldn't be there in the 5th And I like the pick

#51 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

come on guys I usually wait for the first loss of the season to do my annual "LOL @ you" topic and I haven't had to bring it out for a draft yet, but the melt down on here after the 2nd round pick till now is about to make me do that.

lol

#52 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

sounds like you are quoting the Dave draft interview. Appropriate huh.

I am no scout. I base my opinions on a myriad of sources available to the NFL fan. Between countless draft experts who spend hours upon hours evaluating talent.

Do to the invention of the Internet, an endless source of both viable and unreliable information. It is possible for the average NFL fan to research, via expert opinion, and formulate their own opinions of players in the draft.

When multiple experts have a consensus opinion on a players ability, it tends to hold true.

The main point of concern is, did the Panthers truly believe this player would not be available later in the draft?

#53 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

It's real easy to think like that when you take a look at our previous drafts outside the 1st round.

The 'smartest' pick Hurney ever made was Hardy in the 6th...outside of that we have gotten poo from the 3rd round on.(CJ being awhile go in the 3rd)

hurney was actually quite good in later rounds... we've gotten a good amount of starters from the back of the draft...

#54 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Only bc he is old. Piggy was a good guy to have years ago

...as a versatile backup...

he was never very dominant at the point of attack.

#55 Woodie

Woodie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

I am no scout. I base my opinions on a myriad of sources available to the NFL fan. Between countless draft experts who spend hours upon hours evaluating talent.

Do to the invention of the Internet, an endless source of both viable and unreliable information. It is possible for the average NFL fan to research, via expert opinion, and formulate their own opinions of players in the draft.

When multiple experts have a consensus opinion on a players ability, it tends to hold true.

The main point of concern is, did the Panthers truly believe this player would not be available later in the draft?

First of all, there is so little info on this guy that even on the internet, you can't learn enough about him to make any kind of informed opinion. To do that you have to watch game film, talk to him and those around him, attend his pro day, work him out...basically everything fans don't have access to.

Aside from that, you are right that these draft experts (many of whom are actually very far from being real experts) spend a lot of hours watching tape and evaluating talent...but probably at least 95% of that time is spent on big and mid-sized schools (and for the tv guys, prepping for their shows). Some may watch a small snippet of some of these small school guys but just so they can say something if the player somehow actually get drafted, but they really don't spend much time at all doing a real evaluation on them. Heck, if you listen to most of these guys (even the prior GM's) they only watch and evaluate a handful of games of the top prospects, so just think how little time they spend on guys from the small schools.

And for the record, there were representatives from 19 teams at Kugbila's pro day, so while we fans may not have heard about him, his name was certainly out there as a legitimate prospect in the scouting community.

#56 nagai

nagai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

Teams don't pick based on Walterfootball rankings...

A-fuging-men. All this talk about 'reaching' goes out the window by the time you get to day 3 of the draft. People disagree a lot more about prospects as compared to the 1st round.