Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just saw a body bag 2 houses down

16 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The funeral home gave my grandfather a goatee. he never wore facial hair in his life. im sure that, if he were able he would have shaved in those last few days of his life.

Posted · Report post

I was on Eastway Drive once when I was about 16 I guess. There was a bad wreck right in front me and we were all stopped in traffic. It had just happened and the EMTs had just gotten there. I was stuck and looked out the window at the road and there was a trail of blood running down the street right next to my car. I looked up and followed the blood towards the wreck and they were covering a body right then. I remember that as clear as day.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='thatlookseasy' timestamp='1367171536' post='2215836']
Speaking of seeing dead bodies, open casket funerals are weird and creepy as fug. I'm not sure how, when or why that tradition got started, but it needs to stop. When reflecting on the lost life of a loved one, a nice picture or two is plenty, I dont need to see the body sitting there looking freakishly off color and with makeup caked on
[/quote]
[quote name='Anybodyhome' timestamp='1367193537' post='2216268']

This.

Nobody wants their last memory of seeing someone to be that last time in a casket. I'd much rather people remembered me when I was having a good time, when I was alive, when I looked like a real person.

Think about it... the last time you saw someone in an open casket funeral. Now, what's the first thing you think of when someone mentions that person's name? That's right- their face in that hideous, funeral home make-up is the first thing you think of.

Fug that. I have a living will that specifies no extraordinary measures and also spells out my cremation orders and exactly who to contact to take care of everything. My wife has the same thing.
[/quote]

It started as a way for the family to obtain closure. I was raised Catholic (Irish Catholic) so I've been to a sh!tload of wakes.

Posted · Report post

Was a firefighter and EMT in college to make extra money.

Saw lots of things that can't be "unseen" for some reason you get a little cold to it after a while. It's been a while since I have been on a "scene" and it would probably shake me a little now to get back into that life.

Spoke with a guy this morning that had an IED blow up on him in Baghdad, and served 3 tours over there with the airborn...can't imagine any of my stories even compare to his.