Photo
- - - - -

How are those conservative austerity ideas working out?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,684 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

yeah once they purged everyone, restarted the government, then killed millions of peasants by forcible starvation to get the poor people under control, everything started coming up roses for them.

#47 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 11,878 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

Inflation simply becomes another form of taxation that severely cripples the middle and lower classes.

Moderate inflation helps those who owe money (typically poor and middle class), but hurts those that lend it (wealthy), so I have no idea where you're getting this little moronic statement.

#48 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

I didn't really mean anything by it.  I just saw  'There is no such thing as a system where everyone can steal from everyone else without actually producing anything.'  and thought it'd have a completely different meaning in a different context.  Funny how things can be so different when you cling to ideology.  

#49 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

Moderate inflation helps those who owe money (typically poor and middle class), but hurts those that lend it (wealthy), so I have no idea where you're getting this little moronic statement.

When wages cannot keep up with living expenses, then yes, that is exactly what happens... which is exactly why people have far more debt than 50-100 years ago.

Try again

#50 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

Wait....you think inflation is why people are in more debt?  Really?

#51 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 21,684 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

its twylights world, we only live in it

#52 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Look around you.  If what Delhommey is saying is right, why is the gap between the rich and poor wider than ever?  Cost of living has now out-paced living wages now that inflation has surpassed the population ratio.  Clearly, inflation as a benefit to the poor hasn't worked out so hot for the poor, has it?

#53 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 21,684 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

I've heard some dumb things in this forum and this is definitely one of them

#54 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 15,951 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

nah, everyone knows inflation is the reason for wage stagnation

#55 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Well, I suppose if you call it stupid, it will magically go away.

#56 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 12,475 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

I agree with Twylyght on this.

Steady inflation does encourage borrowing (which is not a bad thing).  And if wages don't keep up with inflation people borrow more.

But low steady inflation is generally looked at as a good thing, because it facilitates faster growth, raises wages, decreases unemployment, and encourages more consumer spending.

The philosophical question here (IMO) is whether wages are stagnant and therefore personal debt is higher because of inflation, or if it is because our political system has adhered to supply side economics since 1980 allowing the rich to hoard their profits and not provide the correct salary for worker production.  I happen to think it is the latter and that deflating the dollar won't correct anything and will only serve to raise unemployment and lower wages even further. 

Because deflation (which is what Twylyght seems to want), is a different evil and probably a worse evil.  It depresses growth.  Discourages borrowing.  It actually discourages consumer spending, lowers wages, and increases unemployment (at least until the people accept the lower wages).

And inflation has not been out of control in recent years like some would suggest.  As a matter of fact, the inflation rise, for the most part, has been extremely low in recent years and much lower than right before we got off the gold standard.

fredgraph.png?&id=CPILFESL&scale=Left&ra

#57 gospodin shuttlesworth

gospodin shuttlesworth

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

lol could you imagine if we switched to metallism right before asteroid mining becomes a reality

#58 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 3,640 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:16 AM

Less Government!  Less Regulation! Free Markets!  Greed is Good!

#59 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Bill Mahr.... paragon of high-minded mis-representation and hyperbole.  If you cling to those words, then that says quite a lot about you

I love how this forum will bemoan conspiracy theories all day and tout how it is for idiots that give it more than a passing thought; but then these same geniuses give this guy an audience all day about how companies are driven by how they want to kill you through food

Yeah, this place is REALLY enlightened

#60 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

And this is why I hate the inflation index.....Note: All items less food and energy.

Geez, two items people can't live w/o.

Gas is much more expensive now. Luckily energy costs are controlled right now with cheap natural gas, but that's not going to last forever. NG companies are take a big hit with the low cost energy. They only producing alot to ensure revenue, but as soon as they have the opportunity, they will cut back on supply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.