Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

North Carolina next to get rid of state income tax?

44 posts in this topic

Posted

Not exactly cool, but not exactly the old standby quote of "it hurts the poor"

I have mentioned many times about the worry on a fair tax and consumption tax. Middle class will get creamed on about all things as poor gets freebies and rich pay the campaign funds(left and right) so they get by.

Posted

Because the wealthy don't eat...or eat higher priced items.

I dont even know  anymore if you are just dumb or completely ignorant

Posted

Ask madhatter what his monthly food budget is then ask someone that is making $50k a year with the same number of dependents and see if it equals out.

(Nothing against you mr hats...just trying to show an example of how making 8x more than someone doesn't mean your food budget is 8x higher. thus the burden has been moved to the middle class.)

Posted

Ask madhatter what his monthly food budget is then ask someone that is making $50k a year with the same number of dependents and see if it equals out.

(Nothing against you mr hats...just trying to show an example of how making 8x more than someone doesn't mean your food budget is 8x higher. thus the burden has been moved to the middle class.)

You are correct Panthro.

We do eat out more, but the food bill is not comensurate with income levels.

Posted

Thanks for paying for the stadium upgrades by eating out more

Posted

Thanks for paying for the stadium upgrades by eating out more

I do what I can.....but has more to do with the fact that my wife hates to cook than anything else.

We have been married for over 18 years....and if you asked me if she is a good cook, I would honestly have to say that I really don't know.

Also...I am a fan of a sales tax much like Pennsylvania has. 

Most food and clothing are tax free....but more luxury items and most eating out in restaurants is still taxable.  Seems to be an equitable scheme.

Posted

It's a difficult proposition as a higher tobacco tax would undoubtedly effect the growers still in the state, although that number seems to be shrinking regardless. Seems to me a limited time subsidy to tobacco growers derived from the tobacco taxes or an incentive program to change what product is being grown might be an alternative. A lot of the tobacco fields surrounding the areas I've lived in the state are now growing something else.

Thank the Dems for high taxes and crazy methods for ABC stores or highway funding or how schools are doing.

With respect to the alcohol taxes, I'd never seen state run alcohol businesses until moving to NC back in the early 90's. I don't understand it except as a source of revenue for the state, but even without the ABC, there are still state taxes collected on alcohol when it is brought in to the state. Privatizing the liquor store business would create more jobs, reduce the state's expenses on maintaining these stores, payroll, purchasing, etc. and put it all on the private businessman. The state will still collect the taxes and collect revenues from the sale of liquor licenses.

Posted

Texas is the Saudi Arabia of the United States.

Florida is the most popular tourist destination in the U.S. They get more money from tourism than from any other industry.

NC has very little in the way of oil or gas like Texas and while we have a decent tourism industry, it is nothing like Florida.

All states are not equal so you cannot say "It works in state x so it will work in state y too."

I'm not saying it WON'T be a good thing, I just don't see how we make up for the lost revenue and don't think it will work in NC. We don't have the ability to rely on outsiders (whether visiting as tourists or buying natural resource exports) to take the burden off of residents like Florida, Texas, Alaska, and Nevada can.

You're also crazy if you think that wealthier people consistently purchase things that are costing several times the norm. It just doesn't work like that. Some things yes, but the majority of wealthy people are just normal people.

One last thing, it is not about the overall burden, it is the burden in proportion to income. Increasing the consumption tax on poor people and lower middle class people will simply push more people onto government support programs to make up the difference. They currently pay very little, and sometimes nothing, in state income tax, yet they still struggle to make ends meet. If their cost of goods goes up with increased consumption tax, they're losing ground and more will end up on welfare programs.

And North Dakota was flyover country until people actually started shale oil development and natural gas fracking...we could have the same semblance of that industry in NC with natural gas and offshore oil.  As for this debate, we need economic growth here in the state and the California/Texas migration of companies in the past 5 years should be indication enough that this state could benefit from that.  There may be a small transition period, but in the long run huge growth to the state.

Posted

"...the California/Texas migration of companies in the past 5 years should be indication enough that this state could benefit from that."

Only 2 ways the state benefits. Putting people to work in those industries and collecting corporate taxes, and with the Repubtards in office, we know the latter will never happen. So, while it may provide some benefit to the state, most of that will come on the backs of the workforce.

Posted

"...the California/Texas migration of companies in the past 5 years should be indication enough that this state could benefit from that."

Only 2 ways the state benefits. Putting people to work in those industries and collecting corporate taxes, and with the Repubtards in office, we know the latter will never happen. So, while it may provide some benefit to the state, most of that will come on the backs of the workforce.

You do understand there's really no such thing as a corporate tax?

Posted

You do understand there's really no such thing as a corporate tax?

In the minds of the clueless and delusional Repubtards, yes, I understand.

"Corporate income tax is imposed at the federal level on all entities treated as corporations, and by 47 states and the District of Columbia. Certain localities also impose corporate income tax. Corporate income tax is imposed on all domestic corporations and on foreign corporations having income or activities within the jurisdiction. For federal purposes, an entity treated as a corporation and organized under the laws of any state is a domestic corporation. For state purposes, entities organized in that state are treated as domestic, and entities organized outside that state are treated as foreign."

Posted

In the minds of the clueless and delusional Repubtards, yes, I understand.

So you really don't understand...